ScootScoop Edmonton: Free Removal of Abandoned eScooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nobleea View Post
    We took a couple out on the weekend and loved it. Lime has a much better service area than bird. Found a couple by bonnie doon mall, then scooted over to Whyte ave. had some ice cream, wandered the stores, caught a move at princess, then found another couple to get home. It was after dark in both cases.

We used the bike lanes from mill creek to whyte ave. saw many others as well. Every scooter we saw in the whyte ave are was well parked. This was at 9p on a friday.
    20kph is a fine speed. I'd go up to 25, but anything faster is suicide. We used residential roads from mill creek to bonnie doon mall, through faculte st jean. Didn't feel unsafe at all, even at night. The only place we used sidewalks was around the construction at bonnie doon traffic circle.

Yes, it would have been cheaper to uber or drive our own car and park, but the point was to try it out and be a tourist in our own city. Everyone we talked to in our neighbourhood was super keen on trying it out. We're right on the edge of Lime's service area (Holyrood).

I can see their business dropping off substantially in the next few weeks as it gets colder. I think it'll be popular in the warmer months.
    The ONLY one I’ve seen parked near our house was parked right across the sidewalk (perpendicular) so a person would pretty much have had to step off the sidewalk to get around it. (I took a pic but I think I’ve now deleted it.)

It would be really cool if these things could be fitted with wide tracks or wide wheels (or both) for on snow-hardpack winter use.

Even this:

https://theawesomer.com/ezraider-all...cooter/522423/
    Last edited by KC; 12-10-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC View Post
      Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      Edmonton e-scooters set on fire, companies say they’ve never seen anything like it
      https://globalnews.ca/news/6023901/e...son-vandalism/

If you watch the news video, you see users using the sidewalk illegally.
      Sidewalk use should be legalized.
      yup i used one for the first time last week. I used it on a bike path where it was available, and rode on the sidewalk everywhere else. Not a chance in hell im riding this with regular car traffic.

Comment

• Just to reiterate my position on this:

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
        I think our Star Trek mayor should just bite the bullet and allow the e-scooters on sidewalks if there are no bike lanes in the vicinity. Problem solved.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Society 101: Lawless behavior begets lawless reaction.
          Council's Response to scofflaw eScooter behavior: "Tsk, tsk. Tut, tut. It takes a few broken heads to make an omelette."
          Bird Canada CEO says he was ‘blindsided’ by Iveson’s e-scooter concerns, city councillor to ask police about their use
          By Phil Heidenreich
          Global News 2019.09.18

Coun. Scott McKeen said he would like to see a crackdown on the misuse of e-scooters but have such an enforcement blitz emphasize education about the rules as opposed to fines. That said, he would like people who receive warnings about riding the scooters on sidewalks be told what the proposed fine for doing so is. A city spokesperson told Global News on Wednesday that the proposed fine is $250.

Uh, you mean council was in such a hurry to cozy up to Bird & Lime that they DON'T EVEN HAVE A FINE IN PLACE FOR NONCOMPLIANCE ??

And I remember a time when journalist Liane Faulder wrote clearly and unequivocally about issues. The following column suggests that person I thought I used to know has left the building. The remaining husk trembles so much at the prospect of provoking a social media backlash that she buries the lead ("Now is the time to take concrete action. The city must ticket rule-breakers") 768 words into an 895 word OpEd.
          City must engage in e-scooter education or risk losing the program
          Lack of compliance threatens sidewalk citizens
          By Liane Faulder
          Edmonton Journal 2019.10.30

So, no wonder someone out there is taking matters into their own hands.

As for this behavior of torching eScooters being an Edmonton first. What a CROCK ...

I can't be bothered to drag up all the different ways that people in other communities have taken out their frustrations - including burning eScooters in a dozen or more fashions. Look for yourself.

Comment

• I cant believe people are burning then, ffs, what's wrong with people...
            Animals are my passion.

Comment

• This is why we can't have nice things

Comment

• I wonder where most of these scooters are found.
                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                  This is why we can't have nice things

Yes , I agree. People have their tires slashed , or find cracked glass in cars..
                  Animals are my passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                    I cant believe people are burning then, ffs, what's wrong with people...
                    We have a real issue of this type of behaviour in Edmonton.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
                      Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                      I cant believe people are burning then, ffs, what's wrong with people...
                      We have a real issue of this type of behaviour in Edmonton.
                      It’s the wild west.

Need to hang horse thieves and scooter burners!

Comment

• I don't blame people for wanting to avoid downtown, especially with the criminal behaviour that prevails.
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                          I wonder where most of these scooters are found.
                          If you use the Transit app (not ETS, the app called 'Transit'), they show where all the inactive scoots are.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by KC View Post
                            Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            Edmonton e-scooters set on fire, companies say they’ve never seen anything like it
                            https://globalnews.ca/news/6023901/e...son-vandalism/

If you watch the news video, you see users using the sidewalk illegally.
                            Sidewalk use should be legalized.
                            Absolutely not in high pedestrian areas. Not unless they're governed at 8 km/h. Otherwise they travel too fast to mix with pedestrians on crowded sidewalks at 20+ km/h. That's bicycle speed. And they're really only viable and available in high pedestrian areas, so...

Comment

• Amen, Marcel.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Working...
                              X