Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you improve the Anthony Henday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SP59 View Post
    They should have zipper merge signs in advance if they want zipper merges to happen.
    Agree.

Sometimes I call it the Anthony-Allday because of the constant long delays.

Before every off ramp that lacks an advance dedicated lane, I'd like signs saying "Maintain speed until in off ramp lane".

Basically, create consistent predictable driving behavior through educational signs.

At the Gateway interchange maybe signage or even lighting to get through traffic to take the left lane so all the on ramp traffic can get on without all the current slowing and gridlock. Adding a lane of course would be the correct fix.

Maybe lower rush hour speed limits in gridlock prone areas so the traffic flows rather than grids to a halt. But that problem is well beyond my ability to understand as to why it all happens - over and over, every day.
    Last edited by KC; 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
      Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
      Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      How would you improve the Anthony Henday?

Build another ring road around it.
      Complete the inner ring road, actually. 75 St/YHD/170 St/WMD.
      I'll second this. Also if its somehow possible, a fast freeflow connector into downtown, not sure how though.
      Agreed. Complete the inner ring road to free/express way standards, and figure out a way to get traffic in and out of downtown quick.

As for the Henday though, building collector lanes off the express lanes would be nice, force people who are exiting/entering the freeway into separate lanes where they can slow or accelerate as they feel comfortable without slowing traffic that is not exiting.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
        Originally posted by SP59 View Post
        They should have zipper merge signs in advance if they want zipper merges to happen.
        Agree.

Sometimes I call if the Anthony-Allday because of the constant long delays.

Before every off ramp that lacks an advance dedicated lane, I'd like signs saying "Maintain speed until in off ramp lane".

Basically, create consistent predictable driving behavior through educational signs.

At the Gateway interchange maybe signage or even lighting to get through traffic to take the left lane so all the on ramp traffic can get on without all the current slowing and gridlock. Adding a lane of course would be the correct fix.

Maybe lower rush hour speed limits in gridlock prone areas so the traffic flows rather than grids to a halt. But that problem is well beyond my ability to understand as to why it all happens - over and over, every day.
        Happens on the SW as there is too much traffic trying to exit and enter the Henday within such a short distance, combine that with drivers that have may have had their drivers licenses for years but have very little actual experience behind the wheel and you get what we have on the Henday twice a day!

Way to fix it would be to build collector lanes to funnel the entering and exit traffic onto their own right of way so that two or three interchanges utilize the same length of collector lanes leaving the through traffic to flow smoothly

Comment

I emailed Lafarge Infrastructure about this today (they are currently responsible for the operation and maintenance of AHD in this area). They will take it up with AB Transportation and see what their thoughts are.

I proposed something like this (but communicated that regardless of what the final sign looks like, the current one isn't the best):

EDIT: Also brought up the sign just before 111 St on EB AHD as pointed out by East McCauley.

Originally posted by Acey View Post
          The other thing on EB Henday at Gateway I've found is that this sign gantry screws people up.

They're already going 90 because they're unfamiliar, and then they see these signs and think they need to be in the left lane to stay EB on Henday so they merge over. The sign isn't technically incorrect... but WB is also 2 thru lanes and has 2 exits in quick succession but is not signed as such, and thus I have never seen this issue WB.
          Last edited by HarjotG01; 02-10-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I’m being pretty picky here, maybe even mistaken as I barely noticed it due to the traffic I was in, but I thought I saw this:

On the west side of the city, for west-bound tragic exiting off the Yellowhead onto the Anthony Henday - on the AH approach lane - there appeared to be turn arrows painted on the road. The approach however splits, one going straight and one turning north, so I think it’s ond lane turning into a southbound lane and a northbound lane. So shouldn’t such painted symbols show two arrows, one turning and one going straight?
            Last edited by KC; 05-10-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

At long last, the dangerous 127 Street right only turns on the SW Henday are closing tomorrow. You may recall the province tried to close 127 Street access after the NE Henday opened in Fall 2016. But after a public outcry spearheaded by former City councillor Bryan Anderson the province agreed to leave them open for another 18 months.

The 127 exit has to close now in any case to allow for construction of the 135 Avenue on/off ramps to be completed. Keeping my finger crossed that this time SW commuters are prepared to take alternate routes, and there aren't people complaining they were caught completely unawares.
              Last edited by East McCauley; 22-05-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

135 Street on/off ramps. Yes... Which has always been the long term plans.
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
                  At long last, the dangerous 127 Street right only turns on the SW Henday are closing tomorrow. You may recall the province tried to close 127 Street access after the NE Henday opened in Fall 2016. But after a public outcry spearheaded by former City councillor Bryan Anderson the province agreed to leave them open for another 18 months.

The 127 exit has to close now in any case to allow for construction of the 135 Avenue on/off ramps to be completed. Keeping my finger crossed that this time SW commuters are prepared to take alternate routes, and there aren't people complaining they were caught completely unawares.
                  They've had a sign up warning people that 127 St was closing for like two weeks. So unless people are driving by with their eyes closed, they need to give their heads a shake if they complain.

Comment

Two weeks is plenty of time for moaners to find something else to moan about.
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

They can moan all they want, 127th street exit has been completely removed, and the new 135th onramps are now being finished. If you try to take 127th exit, you will smack in to a concrete girder and if you manage to get past that, you'll find the old exits have been torn out.
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Yerse, I know. I live nearby.
                        Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                        X