Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking motorcycle on sidewalk. Yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking motorcycle on sidewalk. Yes or no?

I've never done it as I always park in the parking lot.

But what I have seen is more and more bikes parking on the sidewalk, usually in a plaza or something of the sort where there are large sidewalks.

Without going into the legalities of it all, is this slowly turning into an appropriate thing to do?

If given the opportunity to park on the sidewalk, would you do it if there is ample amounts of room and it's out of the way of foot traffic?
    Yes
    10.00%
    No
    90.00%
    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
    While people behind me, are going insane.

Motorcycles are motor vehicles and do not belong on pedestrian walkways. Pay for parking like all other vehicles.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I don't think it's legal to park you motor cycle on the sidewalk I also don't think it's a good idea. If it's in a strip mall there is the question of deliveries to stores etc. I'm sure it would be deemed an obstruction and would be ticketed if a cop seen it. At the worst towed away.
      Not worth the risk.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I actually don't see that many motorcycles on walkways. I do see a lot of scooters parked in areas you described though. Heck I even see the odd scooter ripping down MUTs.

But yea, keep the bikes on roadways. Not going to lie though, back in my uni days, I'd park in the hidden bike rack areas...

Comment

Absolutely not!
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Another thing, if the motorbike got damaged on the sidewalk (knocked over) how would the insurance company handle it when it's somewhere it should not have been.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by B.ike View Post
              I actually don't see that many motorcycles on walkways. I do see a lot of scooters parked in areas you described though. Heck I even see the odd scooter ripping down MUTs.

But yea, keep the bikes on roadways. Not going to lie though, back in my uni days, I'd park in the hidden bike rack areas...

Some of the higher end new electric bikes are basically glorified scooters. Except that you're allowed to ride them anywhere a bicycle can go, and you can park them anywhere a bicycle can go. Nowadays students could just get one of them instead and enjoy the free parking.

I toyed with getting one of these: http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/...h-b-52-bomber/. Then I remembered that the entire reason I started cycling is the exercise. It would be great fun though, they can get up to 80km/h and handle downhill tracks. I figure it would be great for downhill biking, as you could just use the motor to bring you back up the hill.

Comment

There's different etiquette around bikes than around motor bikes. Nobody bats an eye if you have to adjust the other bike that's already locked at the post you're trying to lock to, but touch someone's motorbike....

There are some places where excess concrete space is allocated specifically for motorbike parking, and I think that's OK, I much prefer to interact with a motorbike crossing the sidewalk than a car or SUV. Just random sidewalk parking, though? Not OK.
                There can only be one.

Comment

Working...
                X