Yellowhead Trail | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jason403 View Post
    Looks like a flyover is currently the plan for the 66 St interchange, with access maintained to enter the Yellowhead eastbound from 66 St.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...66-street.aspx
    Really hoping they find the sense to do something similar at 149 St

Comment

• I have to say, taking out the sidewalk and extending the eastbound merge lane past the curve is quite the relief. I've had a few near misses there and I don't even take the Yellowhead all that often...

Comment

• It's not clear what they're going to do with that 125 ave connection to Fort Road at the tracks. Surface crossing I'm assuming.

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...ledConcept.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinW View Post

Really hoping they find the sense to do something similar at 149 St
          Even if they had a flyover bridge, 149 Street could be accessible from 156 Street and other nearby roads.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• 156 street overpass/intersections are already at capacity during rush hour, and will not cope with additional traffic well at all due to their unconventional design (that overpass was really crammed in to an awkward space). Dumping all of 149th's exit/entry traffic on to it is going to be a total charlie foxtrot. Also keep in mind that "other roads" are small collectors (123 + 121A avenues) between 149th and 156th and only one has lights at those roads. Otherwise the nearest arterial is 118th, which is 10 blocks from the Yellowhead. Also keep in mind that much of the traffic in the area is large transport trucks, which shouldn't be making left turns at uncontrolled intersections onto major arterials.

Why all of this isn't obvious to the City, I will never know.

Comment

• City aims to eliminate Yellowhead traffic lights with 66 Street overpass

City traffic planners have settled on a final concept for the intersection of 66 Street and Yellowhead Trail — a key part of a plan to turn the thoroughfare into a free-flowing freeway.

The project, expected to begin construction in 2024, will turn the north-south street into an overpass where it meets the Yellowhead. The city’s ultimate goal is to remove traffic lights along the Yellowhead by 2026-27, creating or modifying a series of interchanges.

The city’s Kris Lima, director of the Yellowhead traffic portfolio, said the east-west route is currently a “hodgepodge” of unusual intersections controlled by traffic lights.

“It was sort of born over the last 40 years,” he said of the Yellowhead. “It was built in segments, sort of pieced together because of cost or land impacts … it is a bit of a unique animal, just given the nature of how it’s been constructed over its history.”
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• 128 Ave, which is one of the side roads from St. Albert Trail to 156 St, is about halfway (or more) done.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...ot_Nov2019.pdf

No surprises except for the temporary ramp closure.

Comment

• Public Engagement sessions re: Yellowhead from St. Albert Trail to 97 St

4-8 pm tonight at the Chateau Louis
                    10am-2pm Saturday at the Aviation Museum

More:
                    https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...97-street.aspx

Comment

• I went to the public engagement session at the Aviation Museum earlier today. Again, this is only for the Yellowhead betweeen St. Albert Trail and 97 St.

Highlights:
                      - they need to shift the Yellowhead west of 107 St a couple of blocks south to accommodate the proposed new LRT bridge
                      - 107 St intersection is gonzo since there is no room for ramps due to the CN railyard to the north and the cemetery to the south
                      - there are preliminary discussions to relocate the VIA Rail terminal. I suggested west of the CN railyard and east of 127 St
                      - I mentioned that the VIA Rail terminal must not be in an isolated location as it is now and they agreed
                      - there are preliminary discussions to rebuild 121 St to where the VIA Rail overpass is currently located, thus getting rid of that wild-*** turn
                      - they need to do something about those businesses on the SE of the current 121 St intersection. They are on private land, so COE may expropriate if necessary.

Comment

• Thanks for the update

Comment

• Looks the the traffic light removal at 89 St. is complete, the new concrete barriers are up, and traffic is back to 3 lanes in each direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                            I went to the public engagement session at the Aviation Museum earlier today. Again, this is only for the Yellowhead betweeen St. Albert Trail and 97 St.

Highlights:
                            - they need to shift the Yellowhead west of 107 St a couple of blocks south to accommodate the proposed new LRT bridge
                            Are you sure this is correct? Until now all I've heard is that the City plans to straighten the Yellowhead to take out the north bending curve that was built to avoid the Muni's former NS Runway. Shifting two blocks south would be a much more drastic realignment.

Comment

• CN intends to reclaim their land where the Yellowhead bends is what I heard from a CN employee, so this makes sense to me.

Comment

• How about leave the Yellowhead where it is at that location. Save money from rebuilding and moving the six lanes. Cancel that over priced LRT Bridge that is pointless to build and a waste of money that can be used on other LRT projects.
                                -CN maintains what is already there, no new conflicts with a bridge and having to move tracks around for the Bridge.
                                - Yellowhead project saves money, having not to move and relocate this section.
                                It's not hard to figure out. This is becoming beyond stupid. And for what, just so someone can have their make a wish granted that all corners of the city receives LRT services.
                                For this Yellowhead project, this is not needed to make it a better freeway. It's just an added expense for the LRT project that should never exist.
                                Keep it simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X