No announcement yet.

Do you support the Howse Pass Highway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support the Howse Pass Highway?

I'm wondering what the folks at C2E think of the proposed Howse Pass Highway.

First a little backstory...

Howse Pass Highway has been talked about for decades but has never come to fruition. The highway would essentially be an extension of Highway 11 from Sask. River Crossing A.B. west to around Golden B.C. linking up with Highway 1. Opponents are worried about the ecological disruption of a highway through that area. Proponents see it as a trade corridor, reducing traffic through Kicking Horse Pass and improving safety. The one thing that we can all agree on, is Highway 93 (Icefields Parkway) is off limits to heavy vehicles. In the 70's, the AB government rebuilt Highway 11 to heavy vehicle standards, however, Highway 11 comes to a T intersection at Sask. Crossing with Highway 93. This basically means that Highway 11 is under utilized as heavy vehicles can't proceed onto Highway 93.

Here are some articles about it.

The first is the Red Deer Chamber of Commerce. They were lobbying the provincial government as far back as '03 for this highway.
    http://reddeerchamber.com/_Library/2...4HowsePass.pdf

The second is a Economic feasibility study that was done in 2005. The coles notes on it were that the highway would be a great trade corridor advantage for Central Alberta.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...13943164,d.d24

This article is about a central Alberta MLA reopening debate on the proposed highway in 2012.
    http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...162162185.html

This article is a counter to the above article calling it "ridiculous."
    http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...162303386.html

Finally, this is a recent timelapse video of the Pass as it sits now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpt907-Z7f8

Great trade advantage or ecological disaster?
    Yes, I support it.
    51.43%
    No, I'm against it.
    48.57%
    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
    While people behind me, are going insane.

I'd love to see it happen. It would be an exceptional recreation opportunity. But ...

The Banff and Jasper national parks constitute a protected wildlife corridor. Putting up another barrier is simply bad thing, regardless of highway fencing and wildlife over/underpasses.

I imagine the money required could be better spent upgrading the existing mountain pass routes, particularly the Yellowhead.

So, no.

Comment

Looks like it could cut off a few hours to travel to golden or further?
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Didn't realize that it is only 66 km route. It cuts off 95 km of travel for traffic that would go through Red Deer but only only 18 km for travel from Edmonton to Kamloops.

Comment

So maybe a billion dollars and huge environmental damage to our national parks to save an hour for people from red deer getting to BC? No thanks. What a completely ridiculous proposal.

Comment

The environmental concerns may outweigh the benefits, but not to the point of calling it a "completely ridiculous proposal". The actual distance through the park is only about 25 km, and there is already a logging road on the BC side that comes within 5 km of the border. Also, the time and distance savings wouldn't just be for trips originating in the Red Deer area, but would also apply to trips between anywhere north of Red Deer and south-central BC (Okanagan and west Kootenays).

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
              The environmental concerns may outweigh the benefits, but not to the point of calling it a "completely ridiculous proposal". The actual distance through the park is only about 25 km, and there is already a logging road on the BC side that comes within 5 km of the border. Also, the time and distance savings wouldn't just be for trips originating in the Red Deer area, but would also apply to trips between anywhere north of Red Deer and south-central BC (Okanagan and west Kootenays).
              Just review his posting history. You'll see an anti-car anything agenda. He'll lobby against any roadway expanded or new. I'm sure if its was HSR he'd be all for
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

It absolutely should be built, 4 lane Sylvan to Blaeberry, but never will, too many treehuggers around the country these days.
                Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

I think the highways through national parks seem to be safer for animals than regular roads, generally they are fenced off for animals (at least, on the Alberta side), with animal crossings and similar. It allows rangers and similar easily into these areas as well, and opens up new hiking, camping and other activities. I'd be fine with this, it would be a pretty neat link I think, would save some CO2 cutting that 95km from Red Deer.

Comment

The benefits? You mean the completely unsupported claim from the Red Deer chamber that it will cut costs "10-15%" off of transportation? My *** it will. Cutting maybe at most an hour off transportation for a very small minority of the Alberta population is not worth the money, and it is not worth destroying our national parks.

There is no way the 90% of the Alberta population and 98% of the B.C. population that will never, ever use such a road should be expected to invest billions in it. It is a completely ridiculous proposal that some red deer MLA's have historically trotted out whenever they need local political brownie points.

Zero real benefits for Alberta, zero benefits total sum for B.C., huge cost, creation of another wildlife-destroying barrier in our national parks. The fact that people even consider this to be slightly within the realm of worth talking about is mind-boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaerdo View Post
                      It is a completely ridiculous proposal that some red deer MLA's have historically trotted out whenever they need local political brownie points.
                      I don't think everything should just be done for Edmonton and Calgary, Red Deer is an important part of the economic engine of the province, they deserve a little bit of love sometimes too.

Comment

Spending billions on a new road through the national park system to save at the very most an hour of travel time for any part of the province is absurd. It is even more absurd when it would only benefit a very tiny fraction of the province's population.

I don't even know why I'm getting involved in this. It isn't a real proposal, it is a local special interest group drumming up support for themselves. There is zero chance B.C. agrees to this, and there is zero chance the federal government agrees to this.
                        Last edited by Jaerdo; 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

One reason it may be looked at in future is that the Calgary-Banff corridor will be so plugged with traffic it will be needed. I have been on that highway lately when it was super scary busy. A lot of truck and other traffic from hwy 2 that skirts Calgary just to use the TCH or traffic that drives UP to the Yellowhead would use the new route
                          Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaerdo View Post
                            Spending billions on a new road
                            Is that your cost estimate for everything?

Anything that you oppose you cite that it will cost Billions. I find it funny that you oppose this, but are all for HSR, which would need to be fenced off in its entire length from Edmonton to Calgary and be a much bigger wildlife barrier than whats proposed in this thread... (yes, wildlife does exist outside of national parks)

My goodness.

Comment

Well, how much has been spent on improving the Transcanada through the Kicking Horse Pass over the past 10-15 years? And it's still not done. Phases 1-3 cost roughly 325 million, and Phase 4 is currently budgeted at 450-650 million (numbers taken from here: https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/kickinghorse/index.htm). So pretty damn close to a billion dollars to upgrade a few dozen kilometers of highway. One of the links in the original post above indicated that the terrain that this new highway would travel through is fairly equivalent to the Kicking Horse Pass route. Obviously the entire road won't require as intensive construction as the upgraded sections of the Transcanada will, but significant portions will.

It seems well within the realm of reason that a new road through that route is going to cost in the billions of dollars, given that upgrading 40-50 km of the Transcanada through the Kicking Horse Pass will be upwards of a billion by the time it's finished.

Finish upgrading the Transcanada first. Once Kicking Horse is done there's a ton of work between Revelstoke and Sicamous to do. If that ever hits capacity then maybe it will be worthwhile to look at the Howse pass route. I doubt we ever see that day.
                              Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X