No announcement yet.

Do you support the Howse Pass Highway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never came out of that folder. There is no appetite at any level of government to spend billions or potentially tens of billions of dollars on a new highway that few people or businesses would use. And a big part of the draw to areas like Nordegg is the fact that there isn't a massive highway cut through the center of them. I really don't see any need for this highway whatsoever. And I frequent the 22/11 route through to Louise on a pretty regular basis, personally, if only to avoid the mess that is the QE2 and TransCanada between Edmonton, Calgary and Louise.

Comment

I support the highway, but I think the likelihood is slim. I also would support a highway across Elk Pass connecting AB 40 in Kananaskis Country with BC 43 - it would better connect with Fernie.

Comment

Elk Pass is way more likely as there are only provincial parks not national, although this won't happen with the current BC NDP/Green and AB NDP governments.

Comment

Looking at Google Map I think there's already a paved road from Kananaskis to Elk Pass. Not sure about the BC portion to Elkford.

Edit: Never mind, it looks to be just a service road for the transmission lines passing through there.
          Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 30-12-2017, 11:34 AM.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I recently drove on Hwy 11 from Red Deer to Golden. At the park gate before Saskatchewan Crossing, you absolutely must pay for a park permit due to the Icefield Parkway - no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Would a new Howse Pass highway eliminate the need for a park permit since there's now a pass-thru option for this highway?
            Will there be two extra gates on each side of the Icefield Parkway as a result of this new highway?
            Or would it be cheaper to keep as-is?
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It's been like that for decades, how were you not aware? If you travel North from Banff or South from Jasper, same thing. It is not a commuter highway and it is slower than other routes. It's perfectly rational to expect people to pay to enjoy the highway and sights along it, no different than any other part of the mountain National Parks (on the large highways you don't need a pass yes, but if you stop for even a minute you are risking a hefty fine). For similar reasons, no trucking traffic is permitted on the highway, with certain exemptions for local use.

As far as the Howse Pass highway goes, it's a pure hypothetical. That highway will never be built. If you don't want to pay for a park pass, take the Transcanada or the Yellowhead.
              Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 15-08-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The so-called rationale behind this preposterous idea is completely and fundamentally flawed: Howse Pass and the Canadian Rockies are infinitely more economically valuable to Alberta and Canada as a protected and pristine heritage site than as a transportation corridor. Let us hope that those federal officials charged with the responsibility of protecting this area from myopic and self-serving local politicians and business interests do their job and kill this idea once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                  Looking at Google Map I think there's already a paved road from Kananaskis to Elk Pass. Not sure about the BC portion to Elkford.

Edit: Never mind, it looks to be just a service road for the transmission lines passing through there.
                  There's a paved road from AB 40 that services the campgrounds and trail heads within Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. There's an old gravel fire access road on the Alberta side that connects to Elk Pass that is now utilized as a hiking and bicycle path; https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka...heed/elk-pass/.

Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post
                  The so-called rationale behind this preposterous idea is completely and fundamentally flawed: Howse Pass and the Canadian Rockies are infinitely more economically valuable to Alberta and Canada as a protected and pristine heritage site than as a transportation corridor. Let us hope that those federal officials charged with the responsibility of protecting this area from myopic and self-serving local politicians and business interests do their job and kill this idea once and for all.
                  Pretty strong language. The Howse Pass highway is something that been proposed for decades; however it has never been seriously pursued. Considering the stringent environmental regulations both inside and outside of the national parks and the fact that it is taking so long to twin TCH 1 through Banff & Yoho parks, with it being constructed with numerous animal crossings and a 90 km/h speed limit (and don't forget TCH 1 in the BC interior), Parks Canada is hardly bending to anyone. In my opinion, the government can consider and either approve or deny PROJECTS; however, IDEAS are a fundamental part of any free, democratic society - to kill an idea is to remove it permanently and silence anyone who voices it. Open dialog on any infrastructure project should be allowed, and consensus will determine whether it should be constructed. Red Deer area stakeholders are free to have their idea, much like the Yellowhead Highway Association of post WW2, but realistically there's nothing to fear for the project opponents.

Comment

Proposed Howse Pass highway back in the news:
                    https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...-b-c-proposed/
                    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
                    While people behind me, are going insane.

Comment

Ya that's just not going to happen, especially with the current order of government. We can't even fund our schools or hospitals right now and you're looking to build a highway through the mountains that has no benefit or significant time savings?
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The good news is that with the continued improvements to the TCH, there are less and less closures. I drive to Golden, Revelstoke, or parts further half a dozen times a winter and the improvement in travel times and reductions in closures over the last 10-15 years has been huge due to a large amount of work on passing lanes, minor rerouting, and the massive changes to most of the road through the Kicking Horse canyon.

The final phase of improvement East of Golden will be starting this summer, and once it's complete closures East of Golden should be very rare as it'll eliminate a lot of rockfall/avalanche risk. The downside is that while it's under construction there are going to be significant closures, so things are going to go backwards for a little while.

The main problem is Rogers Pass, and the Howse highway does nothing for it as it would connect to the TCH East of Rogers. At some point the Feds are going to have to realize what CP did a century ago: Rogers Pass is too prone to avalanches for safe travel in the winter. Given the importance of the road, it's long been time for the road to be tunneled through the worst of Rogers, like CP did with the railway.

Comment

I can't see it happening either, even though ti would cut several hours off my trip to various locales in BC.

Agreed, TCH is getting better, and look how long it's taken to get that to where it is, Howes Pass is but a pipe dream.
                          www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                          X