Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North-South Freeway

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • North-South Freeway

    Okay, dreamers, urban planners, and commuters! If city administration was tasked with building a complete north-south freeway inside AHD, through the city, what alignment would it take? What neighbourhoods would be the hardest to build through? Would it require a new bridge over the NSR? It doesn't have to be a very high-profile freeway, but please no lights!

    And ..... GO!
    Last edited by chrisvazquez7; 20-10-2015, 08:12 AM.

  • #2
    I don't really see it being possible or likely, but 75th and 170th are the two obvious options.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've always thought 75th would be a good option... But 170th is already so close to AHD... Would it be worth it?

      Comment


      • #4
        There's no other viable option in the West end without bulldozing hundreds of houses. 142, 149, and 156 are all not an option. And even 170th would require significant expropriation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, but honestly, from my own experience, traffic flow in the west is doing alright. But 75th St, 50th St, and 34th St all seem to be at grid-lock at various times of the day.

          Comment


          • #6
            6 lane freeway along 75/66 St from AHD to Capilano Drive. Get 'er done Justin!

            Comment


            • #7
              ^ How about making 91 St a freeway from AHD to Whitemud, and then over to 75 St north. I'm not sure if 66 Street would be a good candidate for a freeway. But I it would be beneficial for the LRT possibly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
                Okay, dreamers, urban planners, and commuters! If city administration was tasked with building a complete north-south freeway inside AHD, through the city, what alignment would it take? What neighbourhoods would be the hardest to build through? Would it require a new bridge over the NSR? It doesn't have to be a very high-profile freeway, but please no lights!

                And ..... GO!
                Even I don't have dreams that evil. But, gun to my head ...

                The most feasible alignment north to south would be Manning Road, Ft. Road, Capil- sorry, Gretzky Drive, 75 Street, turning southwest at Argyll, turning south at 91 Street.

                Done.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
                  ^ How about making 91 St a freeway from AHD to Whitemud, and then over to 75 St north. I'm not sure if 66 Street would be a good candidate for a freeway. But I it would be beneficial for the LRT possibly.
                  why stop at whitemud? take it all the way to argyll and then go over to 75st. there's really nothing worth saving on the south side of argyll.
                  Interchanges (no lights) at argyll, whyte, 90ave, 98 ave, and 101 ave. Holyrood, Ottewell and Kenilworth take the biggest hits. Without interchanges, particularly at 98 ave, expanding 75 st is useless.
                  91 st interchanges at 23, 34, 40-somthing ave, whitemud, 51 ave and argyll. Then argyll at 83 st.
                  And then you need a proper interchange at 118ave/northlands and yellowhead. Yellowhead would be the hardest interchange as there's not a lot of room.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You're better off improving 75th Street though at least between 101st Avenue and Whitemud.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Only solution that doesn't destroy the city: Create a giant tunnel 15 stories underground with a huge parking lot underneath downtown connected up with elevators.


                      Ultimate destruction approach: 10 lane divided road that continues gateway, turns and paves straight through mill creek, goes OVER the muttart conservatory (damn plants don't need light) and across the river just right of downtown on a giant bridge, paves through boyle street, mccauley, and AB ave (there goes the headache of revitalization, win-win), connects up and paves over Fort Road all the way to the henday.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        75 Street could be turned into a freeway between yellowhead and whitemud.

                        Here's how I would do it starting from yellowhead:

                        yellowhead: tough luck. not building a system interchange here
                        118 avenue: use the commercial space for interchange
                        northlands access: remove it
                        101 ave: run 101 avenue over/under 75 street and only allow right in and right out access. (therefore eastbound 101 avenue traffic cannot go north on 75st and westbound 101 avenue cannot go south on 75 street)
                        98 avenue: diamond interchange
                        Between 98 avenue and 90 avenue: elevate a 4-lane 75 street with a collector road underneath that services north and south bound with opportunity to access freeway
                        90 avenue: 75 street continues elevated with a diamond interchange 90 avenue running underneath (think whitemud & 17street)
                        82 aveune: same deisgn as 90 avenue. 75 street to be elevated until whitemud
                        argyle: similar interchange design as above
                        arygle to whitemud: similar elevated design with single lane collector road on either side.
                        whitemud: bring 75 street back to grade and use existing intersection.

                        Concrete for elevated roadway aint cheap, but expropriation of all the businesses and homes aint cheap either. Maintenance could be an issue as well.

                        Anyhow thats just a little pipe dream i have everytime (read everyday) I drive 75 street. I rather the money be spent on LRT.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          4-lane (2 freeway lanes each way is way more capacity than existing 3 lanes with lights) from yellowhead to south of argyle and the train tracks, Tolled, 80km/gr design speed/limit, limited shoulders, and only where there's room.

                          -NB to WB freeflow ramp added at Yellowhead.
                          -Dip under 119 and 118 digging where the husky and liquor store are, existing Gretzky drive becomes access lanes/ramps and local use.
                          -Through lanes under 101ave and 98ave
                          -Access roads become collector lanes from argyle to 101st, but low speed, probably just a single through lane each way, and with left turn lanes cantilevered over the through lanes where necessary.
                          -Just a few sets of ramps, serving 98/101, and northbound at Whyte. Other turns from cross avenues just access the local/collector lanes.
                          -South-bound ramps from Argyle merge with free flow lanes and go under the train tracks. after that it becomes a normal surface arterial.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jaerdo View Post
                            Only solution that doesn't destroy the city: Create a giant tunnel 15 stories underground with a huge parking lot underneath downtown connected up with elevators.


                            Ultimate destruction approach: 10 lane divided road that continues gateway, turns and paves straight through mill creek, goes OVER the muttart conservatory (damn plants don't need light) and across the river just right of downtown on a giant bridge, paves through boyle street, mccauley, and AB ave (there goes the headache of revitalization, win-win), connects up and paves over Fort Road all the way to the henday.
                            AND put tolls on the tunnel!

                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              One possibility:

                              Build two bridges across the North Saskatchewan, one connecting 82 Street, and another connecting to 104 Avenue. The roads could run 85 Street-82 Street and 106 Avenue-104 Avenue. They're not freeways but vital E-W and N-S routes.
                              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X