If CPR abandons their Strathcona Yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If CPR abandons their Strathcona Yard

This CBC News article indicates CP is pulling up tracks in Old Strathcona. Apparently the Whyte Avenue crossing arms are history, too. However, "A spokesperson for CP would not confirm how much track will be removed, or what the company has planned for the land when the tracks are gone." The local Business Association would at least like to see 76 Avenue extended across the yard. The City of Edmonton hasn't yet been given any kind of official notice by CPR.

The Arbutus rail corridor issue in Vancouver has that city and CP miles apart on purchase price of that abandoned route. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case if the City of Edmonton were to negotiate for this land or some portion thereof.

Ultimately I would like to see consideration given to designing a primary north-south access to downtown by making use of the right of way for a sunken arterial through Old Strathcona along with a companion bridge to the new Walterdale ... even if I have to list that under the Confess Your Unpopular Opinion thread.

See high level bridge, LRT, CP Rail for any indication on how this might go.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

This is far different from the Vancouver example.

There it's a narrow corridor and the city wants 100% of it for a greenway, but CPR's asking price is based on developing the whole thing as condos.
      Here the city could buy land for a crossing or two and reserve a ROW along the old tracks (for a Multi-use trail, or future LRT, or the Province might do it for HSR) and there's still lots of land for CPR to sell for development. Actually, the value of the remaining land would probably increase substantially if a crossing or two were built.

Comment

Originally posted by Spill View Post
        This CBC News article indicates CP is pulling up tracks in Old Strathcona.
        Hmmm. So I can no longer refer to the area of Whyte Ave. east of the Strath as "the wrong side of the tracks" then? Who knows, maybe that area will finally improve now!

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...cona-1.2777217

According to CBC the tracks will be ripped up all the way back to Argyll Road.

Can see more mixed residential/retail south and east of Whyte and 102 street - that area is already starting to look like the new hip place to be in CoE (poet, and didn't know it).

Be interesting to see what the province does too - HSR flights of fancy and all - will it pony up and buy a R-O-W now that CP Rail no longer conveniently needs the land?
          ... gobsmacked

Comment

^^ I lived in north downtown where even though the "tracks" were grass, I was still on the "wrong side of the tracks".

Eve

Comment

I would love to see the CP yard removed from strathcona... and filled in with condos.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

76ave crossing! Yes please possible 2 between whyte and 63rd would be bliss!

Comment

With CPR Leaving it would be possible to eliminate the underpass at argyle. On the other hand, the two bridges there could be used for a multi-use path and for future HSR/LRT. There's lots of opportunity there.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                    See high level bridge, LRT, CP Rail for any indication on how this might go.
                    The CPR's greed cost both us and them millions. If they had been willing to negotiate they could have sold the bridge for a million or two more and the city could have saved tens of millions on the south LRT.

Hopefully management at the CPR has grown up and they will be willing to negotiate a mutually beneficial arrangement. It should definitely include at least one connection, preferably more (I'd like to see every second avenue connected).

Comment

Drove Whyte Ave just now. The crossing arms are indeed gone.

Comment

I was hoping they would have left the crossing arms - they were a fantastic visual piece. The city should find some and install them as public art/history.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^^^ the furthest south crossing that I think would work is at 69 or 68 using the City yard there, then 76 for sure, and one more closer to whyte. Most other prospective crossings would require property acquisition and demolitions between the CP ROW and gateway, and/or between Gateway and Calgary Trail.

I expect we'll see a mixed use/residential Neighbourhood north of 76, and a business park south of there where the existing light industrial gets a little less light.

Comment

^^ Yes, they do add to the charm of the street. I agree that the city should install something similar.

I know High Level Streetcar group were talking about crossing whyte ave and into the roundhouse area, wonder how their negotiations may fit into this.

But, as mentioned, this will allow for more east/west routes. One at 76 avenue and around 69/70 avenue would be dandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                              I was hoping they would have left the crossing arms - they were a fantastic visual piece. The city should find some and install them as public art/history.
                              Was just about to post the same thing. Maybe just some decorative/non-functional ones.

I'd love to see a thin strip of the entire length reserved for a multi-use trail straight from South Common (or further) to Whyte Ave. Add some trees. Beautify the area. This is a huge opportunity to really revamp a good portion of the drive North on Gateway. Put condos where you can, and keep LRT in mind for the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X