Traffic Circles in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ I think the circle at 87 Av and 142 St might be a candidate for the historical designation. It is well under capacity and likely to remain so.
    I use this circle daily and an increasing proportion of drivers don't know how to use it ( or don't care ), On a daily basis I see some drivers go 3/4 the way around in the outside lane while others use the inside lane to go out the first right. I find I have to drive so defensively in circles now I'd prefer lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarsands View Post
      Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
      ^ I think the circle at 87 Av and 142 St might be a candidate for the historical designation. It is well under capacity and likely to remain so.
      I use this circle daily and an increasing proportion of drivers don't know how to use it ( or don't care ), On a daily basis I see some drivers go 3/4 the way around in the outside lane while others use the inside lane to go out the first right. I find I have to drive so defensively in circles now I'd prefer lights.
      People don't know how to use regular intersections either.

They run yellow lights,
      they run red lights,
      they turn without stopping on red,
      they change lanes through intersections,
      they make right hand turns immediately into the centre lane...

Moreover, what you're saying above about how people use traffic circles, I believe is technically legal, though I don't believe it should be.
      Last edited by KC; 21-11-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Does traffic in the outside lane not have to yield to traffic on the inside lane?

Comment

I like when they post these type of signs to teach those who barely passed their drivers test.

If I am going through on my bike I will take the inside lane as I am supposed to.

I like this design for busier intersections. Thinking Yellowhead.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-11-2013, 06:41 AM.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
            I like when they post these type of signs to teach those who barely passed their drivers test.
            It's sad that people can't pass their driving tests here. We have some of the easiest testing procedures around. 30 mins in a car on a summers day and just about anyone can get a licence.
            My tester was more concerned with the jerk that was tallgating me than how I was actually performing on the road...
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

This is kinda crazy http://www.ourston.com/company/projects/us41.html
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Bah nothing, I have friends in Swindon (west of London) they have the Magic Roundabout, it works quite well but fortunately my friend drove through it not me.
                http://6000.co.za/wp-content/uploads...-swindon-5.jpg

Alberta Transportation has built a few recently in Villeneuve, Sylvan Lake, Highway 8/22 north of Bragg Creek and planning more (Yellowhead east)...
                http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...LAN.pdf#page=2

Comment

I really can't see them putting traffic circles on the Yellowhead highway, which is mostly a divided highway, quasi-freeway or whatever.

Edit: never mind, they are talking about interchanges on the Yellowhead, not the highway itself.
                  Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 22-11-2013, 10:01 AM.
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^^ Sylvan lake works OK because it is the entrance to town and you need to slow down anyways. 8/22 is terrible - it should have been full radius like Edmonton's older circles with a westbound to northbound free flow lane and without the stupid chicane.

Comment

Traffic circles in my experience only work well with low volume traffic (in which case a 4 way stop is probably better), or higher volume provided the volume of traffic is very equal from all directions (there aren't many places like that). With unequal volume, traffic circle equals traffic jam, as it can be impossible to break into the flow if vehicles are not coming through from opposite direction to 'shield' / 'provide time'. I spent way to much of my younger life trapped in traffic circle jams at rush hour to want them in Alberta.

Comment

100% agree. I don't see a reason why we can't post this sign up on all traffic circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
                          I will really miss the Bonnie Doon traffic circle. I can shoot through that at full speed.
                          Is it getting demolished for the LRT or something?
                          I hope not. Serves me well everyday.

Comment

[QUOTE=newtocan;560764]
                            Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
                            I will really miss the Bonnie Doon traffic circle. I can shoot through that at full speed.
                            Is it getting demolished for the LRT or something?
                            Eventually, yup...
                            http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...tailed_Map.pdf

Without a bridge or tunnel to separate the LRT from the traffic circle it would create all sorts of traffic headaches. Not that thousands of cars turning from 83rd Street to Connors Road won't.
                            Last edited by sundance; 25-11-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

^The idea is for them to continue east onto 75st and then continue south.83rd will be reduced to a route used a lot less than it is now.
                              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

As if 75th can handle the extra traffic
                                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Working...
                                X