Ray Gibbon Drive Edmonton / St Albert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Gibbon Drive Edmonton / St Albert

I wanted to know if anyone else drives this stretch of road and what your thoughts of it's current status is?

Ray Gibbon Drive starts at Anthony Henday in Edmonton and terminates at Giroux Rd in St Albert. Its a 2 lane road currently that is supposed to open to Villenueve Rd within the next couple of weeks and is proposed to be a St Albert ( hwy 2 ) bypass eventually, capable of being upgraded to a total of 8 lanes......

My experience is this. I use this road every day and it feels over capacity on most days. I checked the city of St Albert website and found traffic counts are in excess of 14,0000 vehicles per day b/w Henday and Leclair way, which seems well beyond the traffic it can handle.

With the pending opening of the new section to Villenueve road, this will only exaggerate the problem.

I have also found that the intersection of 137 av really messes up traffic flow as on most days, the lights turn green for 137 av traffic when there isnt even a car around?

Does anyone know what the provincial standard is for twinning a highway in terms of traffic counts?

I would hope that re-elected Mayor Nolan Crouse of St Albert would provide a stronger voice this term to have the province finally complete this bypass and take truck traffic away from the centre of St Albert.

Open for discussion...thoughts, suggestions?
    Last edited by Liferanger; 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM.

Gibbon Dr is not going to be a true bypass until it has at least 2 lanes per direction, has no traffic lights, and directly connects with Hwy 2 at the current Hwy 37 interchange, which I understand is the long-term plan. I'll bet it won't be too long til Villenueve Rd is choked with traffic lights and constrained by development.

North of Villenueve Rd is the province's jurisdiction. But the province has higher priorities right now such as Hwy 63 twinning and finishing the Henday and Stony Trail ring roads. But as long as Doug Horner is in a powerful cabinet position, I reckon he'll keep advocating for completion.

The Edmonton Regional Board could also push for it, but LRT extension will be a competing priority.

Question: was Gibbon Dr raised as an election issue at all?
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I don't drive it often, but usually I find myself avoiding it, as I find it annoying to drive on with the lights, and single lane each way. I don't usually go through it during peak hours, but almost always, I just go to St. Albert Trail. Most of the places I go to are in the north part of St. Albert.

Comment

From what I could tell, it didnt even come up as an election issue, which is truly surprising.

Comment

How is St. Albert been allowed to install red light intersections on Highway 2 through St. Albert? Shouldnt Alberta Transportation have stepped in and done something about this before it even got to this point?

Comment

The speed limit on Ray Gibbon Drive is too slow.
            Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
              How is St. Albert been allowed to install red light intersections on Highway 2 through St. Albert? Shouldnt Alberta Transportation have stepped in and done something about this before it even got to this point?
              St Albert is no different than any other city in terms of being able to place red light cameras on major roadways that go through their city limits, including those roadways designated as Alberta Highways. I have found that St Albert is a bit too aggressive in their red light cameras and photo radar locations though.....its not impossible to pass through 2 red light cameras and 2 photo radar locations before you make it out of St Albert.

Back to Ray Gibbon Drive though, does anyone know what Alberta Trans uses as a guideline of vehicles per day to divide a roadway, thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Liferanger View Post
                Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
                St Albert is no different than any other city in terms of being able to place red light cameras on major roadways that go through their city limits, including those roadways designated as Alberta Highways. I have found that St Albert is a bit too aggressive in their red light cameras and photo radar locations though.....its not impossible to pass through 2 red light cameras and 2 photo radar locations before you make it out of St Albert.

Back to Ray Gibbon Drive though, does anyone know what Alberta Trans uses as a guideline of vehicles per day to divide a roadway, thanks for the help.
                Somebody must have a problem with red light cameras. The original post you responded to didn't mention anything about red light cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
                  The speed limit on Ray Gibbon Drive all of St. Albert is too slow.
                  I swear my car needs a big red 25km/hr button on it to make it through St. Albert without getting a photo radar. I even drive like grandma, but every damn road is slow as hell.
                  "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Liferanger View Post
                    I'll have to check planning documents but at one time they used 5,000 vehicles per day, it might be 8,000 now.

Comment

^There's the guidelines and then there is making it a priority to spend the money on that particular roadway. The Province has a long list of roads that require upgrades/expansion based on current volumes, so additional work on Ray Gibbon may be awhile.

Comment

^that's correct. The provinces golden city to the south will have untold millions spent on upgrading the deer foot even more before Ray Gibbon drive gets upgraded or additional lanes added to the SW Henday or Yellowhead gets any provincial funding.

Also, with traffic volumes on highway 2 through St. Albert, why has the highway not been upgraded to a urban freeway similar to the deer foot in calgary??

Or will Ray Gibbon drive if ever properly upgraded be given the highway 2 designation?

Comment

St Albert Trail through St. Albert is not going to be turned into a freeway. Give it a rest already.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

When a town becomes a city, it takes over responsibility for the highways through it, unless some kind of arrangement with the province is made (see Deerfoot Trail in Calgary). Highway 2 through St. Albert is the City of St. Albert's problem. But dually noted...all too often when cities take over control of the highways, the cities botch things up so bad to constrain flow in the hopes folks will pull over, stop, spend some money. See Fort Saskatchewan, Strathmore, Medicine Hat, Fort McMurray, and Grande Prairie for examples. Then the province has to step in, build bypasses, and spend money that would otherwise have never been spent.

I believe St. Albert is set in its ways to make St. Albert Trail (current Hwy 2) what it is, plust at LRT to it. Ray Gibbons Drive, the future St. Albert bypass and the future Highway 2, will likely have the same type of highway designations that Highway 15 has going across the river into Fort Saskatchewan. At that type of highway designation, a road would need 8,500 vehicles per day to be twinned. Highway 15 is already at 22,000 vehicles a day and is down to 2-lanes into the Fort.

Without raising taxes, what projects would you cut to make the St. Albert bypass go ahead? What highway projects is less important than the bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                              St Albert Trail through St. Albert is not going to be turned into a freeway. Give it a rest already.
                              Dont get your panties in a bunch. I mention urban freeway one time and the pitch forks seem to come out with you people. I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are entitled to your opinion of powering the world with rainbows and pretty pictures.

Highway 2 north of edmonton is one of the access points to fort mcmurrary via athabasca. To drive off one freeway (Highway 216) and enter highway 2 north into st. albert only to sit at 20 (slight exaggeration, but with the lights purposely timed to force drivers to stop I feel justified) red lights is just poor infrastructure planning.

Comment

Working...
                              X