New Terwillegar Foot Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Terwillegar Foot Bridge

EDMONTON - City councillors approved a $24-million Terwillegar footbridge Wednesday, but still haven’t decided how crews will reach the site to build it.

The 280-metre-long structure, on the north side of Terwillegar Park, is seen as the last major link in a walking and cycling trail from one end of Edmonton to the other along the North Saskatchewan River valley.

The city will pay $8 million and the other two levels of government will cover the rest.

The stressed-ribbon design for the span was passed 11-1.

Only Coun. Kerry Diotte opposed the plan, asking if money is best spent on a structure he described as costing almost $1 million a metre (the actual price is less than $100,000 a metre).

“It’s contentious,” Diotte said. “I have received many phone calls from people who don’t want it.”
    I for one am very excited for this footbridge... I love all the single track in the west end and this will help link all the multiuse paths with Terwillegar Park... and a future footbridge will link this with the Cameron Heights parks area...

Diotte's comments are a pretty big LOL FAIL
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Sorry - forgot the link http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...497/story.html
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I'm not a fan of how much they're developing Terwillegar Park.

Some of the better single track there for biking is getting developed and paved. There was a really awesome rolling downhill ride on the west side that's now a big wide paved "road," and at the bottom of what was once a great downhill lies a bridge. That's sad.. like Blackmud Creek way back in the early 90s, it was a great place for mountain biking.

I guess the city has to find a balance between making the river valley multiuse friendly, but they're taking away the great bumpy/rooty rides and levelling and paving it all to do it.

Comment

O Kerry....
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^^yup, we have lost a good amount of awesome single track in there... man I miss tuesday night races. I do however like the bridge idea from a connection standpoint.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

The rooty/roller coaster still exists from near the Henday bridge all the way into the park-proper... one of my favorite trails in the whole river valley. on the 'east' end, there's many fun drop ins still from that graveled path to what ever that road is where the houses fell down into the valley.

(However - the best singletrack/slight downhill trails in the city by far are the trails between science park and goldbar behind the refinery)

Comment

The Journal map is so bad because the orientation if it is North is to the right, not conventionally upwards and there is no compass points shown.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I have always wanted to live in this particular area as shown in the map, and it would be nice to have walking access to these bridges. The connectivity of bridges and walking trails will be neat.

Until I found out the going prices for homes in this area.
                The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                  The Journal map is so bad because the orientation if it is North is to the right, not conventionally upwards and there is no compass points shown.
                  we should be lucky to even get a story about Edmonton in the Calgary Journal... definitely a poor map. Up is west... I'd be confused if I wasn't already familar with this area... should have a compass.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the story with all the land "in the flat" below the Edmonton Country Club? Does the city own that land? Is it a potential park? I'm curious about what exactly the long term plan with that land is. I know up until the 50's (give or take a decade) that the ECC had the back nine down there, but since then I'm not sure what's up with the land. I doubt the ECC still owns it.

Ah, I guess the Journal article did mention it to some extent, but not really:

The bridge links to the Centennial Lands, about the same size as Hawrelak Park, which the city bought in 2007.Work is supposed to start next month so it can be finished by the end of 2016 to meet a funding schedule set by the federal government.
                    Coun. Karen Leibovici wants to create a permanent road with parking near the north side of the bridge so people can reach it from the west end without having to travel to Terwillegar.
                    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 18-07-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Million Meter Kerri!!!

Connecting our river valley system is important.

has anyone seen designs for this bridge?
                      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

CTV Channel 2 news at 12 did a spot on this.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/
                        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Kerry is getting phone calls... from his constituents? Who are waaaay north-east of this locale, and who already enjoy excellently funded and built Valley trails and Ravine trails/ infrastructure? My shaming finger is not big enough on this one... I guess if the bridge does n't carry cars what's the use, right? Keep piling on the hate for cyclists and pedestrians, Kerry.
                          Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

^ Hey.. leave Million Meter Kerry alone... he tries hard lol.

I guess that sound bite was ill thought out hey!

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                              ... has anyone seen designs for this bridge?
                              Could be stunning. Could be meh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressed_ribbon_bridge
                              ... gobsmacked

Comment

Working...
                              X