No announcement yet.

New Terwillegar Foot Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      CTV Channel 2 news at 12 did a spot on this.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/
      link to the actual story
      http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I like it!
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I remember when i was 10 or somewhere near that age before even the fort edmonton bridge was built and that new sub divsion was put in, i had gone down that access road and somehow got lost, freaked out and took that path. Somehow I ended up at the country club, the snooty richy rich's were all ****** because i came on to the golf course without even knowing where the hell i was.

Tl DR: got lost ended up near site of new bridge to be built.

Comment

^Did the richy richies shout "get off the lawn" L O L
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I was on the walking path of the golf course or w/e you call it, crying (i was a kid and freaked the hell out) that i was lost and they weren't even caring. Bunch of pricks.

Comment

^Where's Superman when you need him, that's what I say.
                Anyway, I do sympathize.

Comment

I would like to know why they bulldozed the homes that used to be up top over looking the fort Edmonton bridge though.

Comment

Maybe soil erosion.

Comment

no it was in the early 90's the sub divsion that replaced it took out all the trees and everything http://goo.gl/maps/SQxbc

Comment

I'm for the bridge, but $24M seems like a lot. Do the bridges need to be that fancy? Sure I want them to look good, but having used the Fort Edm Park bridge a few times, it sure seems overly fancy for something you can't really see from any vantage point nor used by more than a pathetically small fraction of the population.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/07/...ell-the-roses/

The Garden Bridge, as it’s currently being called, was selected by Transport for London as the winning design for a new walkway that will span the Thames between Temple and the South Bank. Heatherwick put it plainly when the concept was unveiled earlier this summer: “The idea is simple; to connect north and south London with a garden.”

Not right for this location but a very cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
                            I remember when i was 10 or somewhere near that age before even the fort edmonton bridge was built and that new sub divsion was put in, i had gone down that access road and somehow got lost, freaked out and took that path. Somehow I ended up at the country club, the snooty richy rich's were all ****** because i came on to the golf course without even knowing where the hell i was.

Tl DR: got lost ended up near site of new bridge to be built.
                            That sounds pretty biased. How do you know they were rich? Maybe golf was their passion and they gave up other niceties in life to play golf there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                              I'm for the bridge, but $24M seems like a lot. Do the bridges need to be that fancy? Sure I want them to look good, but having used the Fort Edm Park bridge a few times, it sure seems overly fancy for something you can't really see from any vantage point nor used by more than a pathetically small fraction of the population.
                              Yeah, maybe it's the best cost-benefit design but every dollar of excess spending is a dollar not available to serve a greater need.

Comment

That country club isn't free to join... And it's not cheap either. If golf is your passion, there's a lot cheaper ways to go about it... Darkie is probably right in his assertion this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X