• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New regional ring road 30 years away

New regional ring road 30 years away
    Province pondering routes, and may soon protect land for future
    Susan Ruttan, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Friday, November 10, 2006
    EDMONTON - Long before Edmonton's first ring road is finished, the provincial government is already planning a second one.

The regional ring road is still in its early stages but a map of the proposed route has been circulated among the 21 municipalities in the Edmonton area.

Unlike an earlier version of the route, the latest one bypasses the town of Devon and goes north of Beaumont, instead of south of it.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
    Font: ****The new alignment has raised concerns in both towns, although officials are saying little publicly.

"I'm not sure I want a ring road right on the boundaries of Beaumont," Beaumont Mayor Camille Berube said in an interview Thursday.

"Whatever the plans are going to be, we want to be at the table."

The earlier version had the south leg of the ring road on Highway 625, which runs south of Beaumont and right through the Nisku Industrial Park. A source said land around Nisku is now too expensive for the government to assemble for a major highway.

The latest route also goes around the Enoch Cree First Nation, rather than up Highway 60 through Devon and the reserve.

Chris Jardine, chief administrative officer for the town of Devon, said if the ring road were being built tomorrow the town would be upset that it no longer goes through Devon, because the ring road will draw traffic away from the town.

But the road won't be built for 25 or 30 years, Jardine said, and the whole Edmonton region will be much bigger and busier by then.

"So there's still going to be lots of traffic going through this area."

Bart Johnson, spokesman for Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation, said the ring road route has not been approved by government.

"These are conceptual ideas at this point, very early in the process," Johnson says.

"No plan has been endorsed."

He said the province is doing advance planning decades ahead of when the regional ring-road would come into use, just as a corridor of land for the Anthony Henday ring road was protected by the province about 35 years ago.

The Henday is a long way from being completed. The south section of the highway opened last month and other sections are being planned or built.

The northern leg of the highway, however, has not been funded by the provincial government.

An environmental group, the Legacy Lands Conservation Society, is holding a news conference today to raise concerns about the regional ring-road plan.

Any environmental concerns are completely premature, Johnson said.

[email protected]

© The Edmonton Journal 2006

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Devon needs to get its act together. They can't even decide on how they want access into their town, and they are looking at criticizing the ring road?

Plus, we already have a 2nd ring road. 39 to 21 to 37 in the north to 44/60. Note Highway 60 Devon, that's YOU. Why would we need to secure more land?

We are looking more and more like Houston every day.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
      Devon needs to get its act together. They can't even decide on how they want access into their town, and they are looking at criticizing the ring road?

Plus, we already have a 2nd ring road. 39 to 21 to 37 in the north to 44/60. Note Highway 60 Devon, that's YOU. Why would we need to secure more land?

We are looking more and more like Houston every day.
      Doesnt highway 39 stop at QE2 and turn into a secondary highway?

Land that would need to be secured would be for upgrades to the highway.

This ring road will be needed eventually. Planning way in the future is a good idea. Can you imagine how expansive this city will be if it continues to growth at current rates? Or even at less then the current rates.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

" Can you imagine how expansive this city will be if it continues to growth at current rates?"

no kidding....

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Do you think the celver boys at Alberta Transportation had the smarts to protect lines for commuter rail traffic as well????? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmTrekker
            Do you think the celver boys at Alberta Transportation had the smarts to protect lines for commuter rail traffic as well????? I doubt it.
            Agreed. They should really be worrying about lines for regional LRT in the Edmonton area. We're not Calgary and have many regional nodes. That needs to be considered.
            LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Maybe the region has to sit down and start considering all the factors so that in 30 years when the stuff needs to get built we will have all aspects covered, ring road, commuter rail traffic. Also when doing these ring roads I think there should be a very good road system to link each ring to the next outer ring. One example of this is to properly finish quickly Terwillergar drive from Whitemud to Anthony Henday Drive, so it will be free flow with nice wide lanes. Same thing for the future, there should be a good road to link the new ring road to by then the old AHD.
              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by feepa
                Doesnt highway 39 stop at QE2 and turn into a secondary highway?
                Yes, but there is an easy ROW for that...

Comment

Yep. All that needs to be done is to extend Hwy 19 to Beaumont and Hwy 21 (which is now secondary hwy 625), and then twin any two-lane sections of this highway bypass network.

Hwy 60 might be a challenge for twinning because of the Enoch reserve and the Acheson industrial park. If twinning those sections can't be done, then maybe Hwy 44 should be extended down to Hwy 60 to a point south of the reserve.
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                    Hwy 60 might be a challenge for twinning because of the Enoch reserve and the Acheson industrial park. If twinning those sections can't be done, then maybe Hwy 44 should be extended down to Hwy 60 to a point south of the reserve.
                    Um....er....it already IS twinned? The twinnig is from the Yellowhead all the way through to about 1/2 mile south of Highway 19's intersection.

You could use 19 as the southern freeway, and I have heard of yet ANOTHER possibility just north near the Rabbit Hill Road (the secondary name escapes me), but I really want 39 twinned - possibly all the way back to 16, as growing up on that highway was an exercise in survival skills. Too many deaths - especially at that speed curve on 39 near 622 and the route between Lindale and Drayton. There is enough industry there to warrant even securing the land (which I think is done for the most part), but getting the plans published would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                      Um....er....it already IS twinned? The twinnig is from the Yellowhead all the way through to about 1/2 mile south of Highway 19's intersection.

You could use 19 as the southern freeway, and I have heard of yet ANOTHER possibility just north near the Rabbit Hill Road (the secondary name escapes me), but I really want 39 twinned - possibly all the way back to 16, as growing up on that highway was an exercise in survival skills. Too many deaths - especially at that speed curve on 39 near 622 and the route between Lindale and Drayton. There is enough industry there to warrant even securing the land (which I think is done for the most part), but getting the plans published would be nice.
                      So you want to see plans eh....

Comment

OH YES SIR!!

Coffee and doughnuts provided...or that rye so I can look at the plans while you are on the floor...flyweight...

Comment

Yeah, the city already sorta has an outer ring road in Hwy's 21, 60, 37 and 19/625. Upgrading them to 4 lands divided each way would be a great idea.

Comment

Regional mayors push for second ring road

Regional mayors push for second ring road
                            Proposal would promote sprawl, Iveson says

Elise Stolte
                            Edmonton Journal

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Some regional mayors hope to put Alberta Transportation's second outer ring road back on the table Thursday, but face stiff opposition from Edmonton.

The proposed highway would circle Edmonton about eight kilometres outside the Anthony Henday.

Proponents argue it should be discussed and land set aside today to facilitate movement in the region 50 years from now. Critics say ring roads encourage low density suburban growth in all directions and the money is better spent upgrading current highways and expanding light rail transit. A neutrally worded motion up for vote Thursday morning at the Capital Region Board won't settle the debate, but it could reopen it. The land-use committee is asking mayors for permission to restart talks with the province on the regional highway network...
                            http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...79469&sponsor=

Comment

They'll set aside the land but until development actually occurs not one foot of a second ring road will be laid.
                              Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Working...
                              X