X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Leduc To Nisku To Airport To Edmonton Bus

THE LEDUC TO NISKU TO AIRPORT TO EDMONTON BUS

Graham Hicks Blog

For years, I've been asking this simple question.

If two cities, an industrial park and an airport can't figure out how to run a much-needed daily bus circuit (some 4,000 employees drive to the International every day, most from Edmonton), how will regional issues of much greater importance ever be solved?

Patience, says Leduc Mayor Greg Krischke.

With the new regional planning board, the transportation sub-committee is in high gear planning and scheming for an all-inclusive regional mass transit system serving one and all.

The master plan, says Krischke, must, by provincial government decree, be ready to go by March 31.

And if one of the first proposed regional bus routes doesn't run in some variation of a loop from Edmonton to the International Airport, to Nisku, to Leduc and back, Greg would be one very surprised member of that regional planning board.

P.S. It will have to be highway coaches - as city buses aren't fast enough to run on highways. And probably it would take about six of them to work that route.

So, new deadline for the question to be asked again.

March 31!

Link: http://blog.canoe.ca/hicksonsix

I'm glad to hear they're at least looking into the idea of an all-inclusive regional mass transit system. It's time to get rid of St Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, and ETS and create one single system.

Comment

It the three transit systems merge then you could use Strathcona's coaches for the airport run from Century Park. What a win-win!
      My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

^ I think it is great to see that this is on the regional board agenda which, is the reason that I posted this in the regional cooperation instead of transportation forum.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
          I'm glad to hear they're at least looking into the idea of an all-inclusive regional mass transit system. It's time to get rid of St Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, and ETS and create one single system.
          I'm not against this but besides rationalizing admin operations, what real benefits are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ins View Post
            I'm not against this but besides rationalizing admin operations, what real benefits are there?
            Being able to plan regionally instead of each system doing their planning on their own. I think if you add another 30K users each day, that can only add to the amount of funding being received through various levels of gov't. And as you mentioned, get rid of some of the administration and save some cash on duplicate services.

Comment

Uhm, everyone will get the same bad service?

No more fancy express buses straight to St. Albert or Sherwood Park. ETS doesn't believe in that "convenience" nonsense. Now every bus will stop on every block, and every bus will be inexplicably routed through Jasper Place! Ha ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by DebraW View Post
                THE LEDUC TO NISKU TO AIRPORT TO EDMONTON BUS

Graham Hicks Blog
                P.S. It will have to be highway coaches - as city buses aren't fast enough to run on highways.
                Link: http://blog.canoe.ca/hicksonsix
                Yellow Bus is not an option either!

Comment

Being able to plan regionally instead of each system doing their planning on their own. I think if you add another 30K users each day, that can only add to the amount of funding being received through various levels of gov't. And as you mentioned, get rid of some of the administration and save some cash on duplicate services.
                  I'm a transit rider. Strathcona County transit plans for commuting into Edmonton and services within Sherwood Park. As far as I know, with regards to routes, there is no duplication. I would assume St. Albert is the same.

To me this idea makes sense intuitively but may or may not make sense in actuality.

Comment

Larger purchase orders, larger and more efficient maintenence and storage facilities,

Comment

I'm a transit rider. Strathcona County transit plans for commuting into Edmonton and services within Sherwood Park. As far as I know, with regards to routes, there is no duplication. I would assume St. Albert is the same.

To me this idea makes sense intuitively but may or may not make sense in actuality.
                      By duplicate services, I mean the printing of materials such as transit guides, buses running along the same routes while in the city of Edmonton (I know ETS buses do not travel into St Albert or Sherwood Park), admin services, etc.

Comment

Does one have to pay separate fares if one needs to transfer from an ETS bus to a St. Albert or Strathcona bus, or vice-versa? If yes, does that really make a whit of sense?
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

You have to pay $1 and have a transfer I think. If all the buses were with one company then it could just be a fare zone like in Vancouver. Cross large zones and you pay more.
                          My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

^ it does make sense, and I don't think it would change in a regional mode... Extra boarding fee to ride there buses currently, in the regional future see "Transit zones" where you have to pay more if you travel from one zone to another, similar to the sky train.
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Service to YEG alone will be enough to justify it in my eyes, although the other advantages of synergy should also be present. But if I were you, I'd start campaigning now to preserve your express service downtown and to the U. And if you do care about your neighbours in E-Ville, help us campaign to get the same speed from Millwoods, Castledowns, and Terwilligar, as well as some kind of "high speed ring route".
                              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                              X