E-town carries costs for fringe services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichardS View Post
    Funny thing happened at the St. Ab farmer's market last week - they joined the dumbdumb club I guess with the panhandlers that showed up...
    It is getting insane right now, everywhere. I have been asked 4 times for money in the last 2 days. Today it was in the City Centre foodcourt, I was eating with my kids. Something has to be done, it is getting out of hand now.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-06-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      Originally posted by JBear View Post
      Part of the problem with amalgamation is that the 'burbs will start seeing their tax bills increase incredibly. I think this is what Ralph60 is scared of. Heck! I would be too. I have it better than those poor dumbdumbs in the city as my outlying burb does not half to deal with half the problems the big city has to deal with, with less money/capita.
      (...)
      St Albert has some of the HIGHEST rates around. ralph60 is not afraid of that, more value for the $$$.
      I can see how St. Albert's taxes have the highest rates around. They are a city with a small commercial/industrial tax base. Suburbs like St. Albert are not sustainable. Less tax dollar/hectare; more road/citizen as opposed to Downtown Edmonton.

I wonder how Sherwood Parkians would feel if there 'little' hamlet somehow changed into the 'City of Sherwood Park'. They would probably feel about the same as City of Edmonton, St. Albert, and Leduc.

Comment

• As for panhandlers, I have sympathy for people who are mentally or physically handicapped, anybody else gets a whopping $0 from me, last time I checked virtually every place is looking for workers.

This would be the same city that annexed over 1/2 of Strathcona County already? This would be the same city where the mayor owns a trailer park in Sherwood Park which he can't be bothered to fix the potholes. This would be the same city which annexed Stratcona Counties landfill in about 1980 then whined when they wanted to put their garbage in a landfill they developed? This would be the same city who's tax structure encourages large industries to build outside of it, but when the taxes were going to Strathcona county manage to annex a good portion.

Some services need to be co-ordinated I think the new regional plan seems reasonable if you are building something within 1 mile of another city or county the other party has some input. Some services are fine being duplicated, if Edmonton wants to spend money on art for road projects, fine. Smaller democracies work best as the politicians are more accountable for their actions.

I may not pay property taxes to the City of Edmonton but I do pay a lot of them indirectly through my job, and places where I shop and eat, likewise the reverse is true of Edmontonians working outside of the site in surrounding communities.

Comment

• In all seriousness, I think Edmonton should amalgamate anything up to Anthony Henday in the east. It just doesn't make sense for services out of Sherwood Park to maintain refinery row as far as 40ish street in Edmonton.

I think as long as Strathcona County, St. Albert, Spruce Grove, Fort Sask, Leduc, etc cooperate with regional planning there is no immediate need to look at amalgamation.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBear View Post

I can see how St. Albert's taxes have the highest rates around. They are a city with a small commercial/industrial tax base. Suburbs like St. Albert are not sustainable. Less tax dollar/hectare; more road/citizen as opposed to Downtown Edmonton.

I wonder how Sherwood Parkians would feel if there 'little' hamlet somehow changed into the 'City of Sherwood Park'. They would probably feel about the same as City of Edmonton, St. Albert, and Leduc.
            Last figure I saw was 89% residential, 11% business revenue...and they know it is unsustainable. Whether or not they publicly admit it, they know.

This exact issue is why Sherwood Park's administration falling under the county is why certain politicos want it to remain. It is a sweet deal, but flies in the face of the St Alberts et al. ralph60 did propose something akin to this model a few months back, and it did form a basis for the C2E discussion we had...
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

• Winter is just to dang cold for some of us living in motor homes fifth wheels we travel here for work. Edmonton if you figure renting a place, paying the utility's, slippery roads it is not worth it, rather go home where it is warm for those months , rest of the year i don't mind coming here to work. So i do understand why Edmonton may pay for some of us who just travel here few months a year. I wonder in compairison like my home of Chilliwack BC what we spend we also have allot of travellers and its year round. Mind you in BC we don't worry about such things we Welcome those to use our services.

Comment

• Chilliwack charges just plenty for these "services", as do most mobile home/RV parks. The owners of these RV parks pay back into the community, so I fail to see your point?
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

• This is a big burden for local ratepayers and the province should help as it has in decades past.
                  There's another reason the province should ante-up. Especially in Edmonton, but also Calgary these days, big city roads and LRT systems are used daily by residents in surrounding communities who pay taxes elsewhere. It's city taxpayers who fund that usage, too.
                  The province can make up for that built-in inequity -- as it used to with unconditional municipal grants -- with generous funding to transit systems.
                  Stelmach says he wants to take transit out of the big cities, into suburban bedroom communities with the $2 billion, and this is a laudable goal, if done fairly.
                  But he must keep in mind that a fair distribution of funds means paying for LRT expansion within the boundaries of Edmonton and Calgary and not just for links to outside communities.
                  Whats this? inequity?? Especially in the Edmonton region...? The bigger city paying for more then its fair share? City taxpayers funding systems that are used daily by residents in surrounding communities who pay taxes elsewhere? You don't say?

Ralph?

Link to rest of story from Quote: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-20e8c40c9e53
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                  X