Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Growth - Or Endless Sprawling Suburbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glenco
    Wow. So when are you guys going to lynch solo? I don't want to be part of it. There are so many different life style options open to us we should be celebrating this as part of fantastic community. Smart growth is where you supply as many different choices as people want and can afford. The city of Edmonton will not regain control over the regional housing situation until it learns to be inclusive not exclusive, patriarchal, condescending or arrogant.
    Glenco,

i think there may have been more than a bit of non-inclusive, exclusive, patriarchal, condescending, or arrogant sentiments that were being responded to here. that celebration of a fantastic community and the maintaining - and respect - for as many different choices as people want and can afford is deserved in both directions.

"sorry, if i do not want to live where crime is high, bums and homeless people on every corner. I assume most of you are not handy men that restore cars, woodwork or have a wind farm, or own large dogs or fix your own vehicles, raise livestock, have horses or snowmobile, quad and dirtbike as you can not do that if you live in a condo or some townhouse."

"but who really are the greedy selfish onse?"

"Being coooped up in some dinky condo or townhouse is just not my idea of living, i dont need neighbors complaining all the time and people telling me what color i can paint my home or fence what not. In this day and age we are restricted too so many of our personal freedoms as is and things will only get worse i would like to try and keep the freedoms i have.
    "
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

? sorry im confused now lol

I see many benifits to my lifestyle. Most farm kids do not grow up obese and unhealthy, instead of playing video games they learn what a hard days work is and how to provide and be self sufficient they are taught manners and have morals. They learn to do things for themself withought being at the mercy of others. they could grow up famous as maybe a moto cross racer or a star cowboy a stunt man. Maybe Veterinary they pretty much do it already. They understand mechanics, machinery, horticulture, agriculture by the age of 10. They would not ever experience this in an apartment, condo townhouse etc.

I see so many kids entering the workforce now days in Alberta and they are weak scared to even get dirty and have no understanding of common sense. Where i look at my kids and they are strong with many skills, they also are well educated and top of their class. well diversified because i give them Opportunity. what city kids see or learn from a book my kids are doing in real life + the books.

I'm curious what Opportunity is given to these city kids over what my kids are given. what maybe being a gang banger or a video game addict? you can push that life on your kids, not mine they deserve better.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
        ...I'm curious what Opportunity is given to these city kids over what my kids are given. what maybe being a gang banger or a video game addict? you can push that life on your kids, not mine they deserve better.
        i could almost buy the first two paragraphs after your intro... and then you got "exclusive, patriarchal, condescending and arrogant" again by insulting everyone else's choices.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I asked everyone to watch the short video that I posted in the beginning of this thread -

I question whether solo did.... ?
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco
            Wow. So when are you guys going to lynch solo? (...).
            Lynch...or debate... Huge difference....

solo...most city kids don't turn out as you speak, and being rural raised, I can tell you of a similar population of kids who did stupid things, bullied kids, and the like...
            My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
              Lynch...or debate... Huge difference....

solo...most city kids don't turn out as you speak, and being rural raised, I can tell you of a similar population of kids who did stupid things, bullied kids, and the like...
              I grew up on an acreage in Strathcona County. My parents placed me into private school rather than send me to any of the Sherwood Park high schools due to the environment and my fellow suburban/rural students. There's plenty of unsavory, poorly raised children in any social strata (even private school). Even though I grew up in the country, my parents still exposed me to art and & culture and architecture before the age of 10! And they ensured I engaged in critical thinking so I could make informed decisions. And they taught me about the world around me, and how important it was to ensure we tended to it well. It was wholly irrelevant where I lived or how much money they made.

(I've lived in Toronto and NYC, but the only place I've ever been mugged is Sherwood Park by a kid with a knife.)
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^^ don't let the masses know that -

people are under the impression that crime stops at the sherwood park border...

I grew up in sherwood park - I can give many compelling stories of what the youth do for entertainment, given that there isn't much out there for youths to do (especially before millennium place was opened... which is pretty far out and need a car to get there anyways..)
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I get the impression that most Edmontonians don't care about smart growth and curbing sprawl because they've never seen a viable alternative. When smart growth proponents offer higher density, infill, and mixed use as solutions, most people think of Whyte ave-- where partying goes on all night and it's hard to park-- or other half assed "vibrant" neighborhoods in the city where, as solo points out, "gang bangers or video game addicts" are bred. With the exception of one or two very small areas of the city, there is nothing but poor examples of smart growth in the city. To see where mixed use, human scale, "traditional" planning has worked you have to go to other places, other cities; it's all been done wrong here (or it hasn't been done at all). That's why I laughed out loud when the guy in the video says Edmonton is developing a classic case of suburban sprawl. Hello? DevelopING? Even our oldest neighborhoods are essentially suburban.

So most Edmontonians were raised in suburban communities, aspired to buy into new suburbs like their parents did, and are content with that. They've never seen anything better, and so they're suspicious of anything different.

I only hope the increased housing prices and influx of immigration brings new demand that 'trickles up' to smarter options being offered. But as for making sure 'smart growth' development is done right, that's an entirely different problem. And if it's not done right we run the risk of creating areas that are even worse than suburbia...

Anyway Solo, your lifestyle choice shouldn't condemn you to being berated on this board. There are certainly benefits to it, and if you can afford it then more power to you. Let's just keep in mind that urban life is not necessarily all grit and danger. When it's done right it is vibrant, exciting, convenient, healthy, and safe. Sometimes I think Edmonton should take a field trip to Toronto or NYC or anywhere else really.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                    Let's just keep in mind that urban life is not necessarily all grit and danger. When it's done right it is vibrant, exciting, convenient, healthy, and safe. Sometimes I think Edmonton should take a field trip to Toronto or NYC or anywhere else really.
                    Not sure if Toronto is a good place to see smart growth, some of the largest suburbs and car centric devlopment in North America can be found in the Greater Toronto area - Mississauga, Oakville and North York to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by kona
                      Originally posted by mark
                      Let's just keep in mind that urban life is not necessarily all grit and danger. When it's done right it is vibrant, exciting, convenient, healthy, and safe. Sometimes I think Edmonton should take a field trip to Toronto or NYC or anywhere else really.
                      Not sure if Toronto is a good place to see smart growth, some of the largest suburbs and car centric devlopment in North America can be found in the Greater Toronto area - Mississauga, Oakville and North York to name a few.
                      yeah, that's why I said Toronto and not the GTA. Kensington market, the beach, the annex; take your pick of pre-war neighborhoods because Edmonton could learn a lot from any of them. It's no coincidence Jane Jacobs lived in TO...

Comment

Working...
                      X