• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Radke asked to tackle regional planning

Doug Radke asked to tackle regional planning
    Mayors upset by counties' report

Susan Ruttan, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: July 25, 2007 1:22 am

The tough job of corralling Edmonton-area municipalities into a new regional plan has been given to Doug Radke, the man who headed a similar study of the Fort McMurray area.

Radke, a former deputy environment minister, headed a detailed study of growth problems in the oilsands area. In February, Premier Ed Stelmach responded to the Radke report by pledging $396 million over three years to relieve growth pressures around Fort McMurray.

Radke's appointment has not been officially announced by the province, but was confirmed Monday by Fort Saskatchewan Mayor Jim Sheasgreen and Mayor Stephen Mandel.

"He comes with a good background and expertise," Sheasgreen said Monday. "People were generally pleased with the information and report" out of Fort McMurray.

In his report on growth problems in the oilsands area, Radke cited "a clear need for more comprehensive planning" for the Edmonton area now that a number of huge bitumen upgraders are being built just north of the city.

Stelmach has given 24 municipalities of the region until January to come up with a regional growth plan, and says if they can't do it, the government will impose a decision.

The first meeting of the new province-led initiative is scheduled for Thursday. Mandel said in the early months, administrators will be doing the work.

He's angry, however, that just as the work gets going, a group headed by Strathcona County has put out a lengthy paper criticizing the direction it's going.

Mandel said the new paper "tries to undermine the process that is supposed to start on Thursday." The paper is signed by the counties of Strathcona, Sturgeon, Parkland, Lamont and Leduc, plus the town of Redwater, who call themselves the Co-operative Municipal Partnership.

It challenges the proposal for the Edmonton region drafted by a task force that included the mayors of Calgary and Edmonton, plus representatives of Alberta's towns and counties. The task force's call for a regional plan for Edmonton, including possible revenue-sharing, has been accepted by the province.

The new partnership rejects any plan that creates "one dominant player" -- namely, Edmonton.

For his part, Mandel rejects the counties' proposed voting system, which he said would give Edmonton just four of the region's 26 votes, despite its huge population.

Strathcona County Mayor Cathy Olesen said the paper was meant only to offer suggestions to the new planning process that's beginning.

"It's just a kind of 'Here are some ideas' kind of position," she said.

She said Strathcona County will "absolutely not" walk out of the regional planning process.

[email protected]

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

Re: Doug Radke asked to tackle regional planning

Originally posted by djgirl
    For his part, Mandel rejects the counties' proposed voting system, which he said would give Edmonton just four of the region's 26 votes, despite its huge population.
    How many votes would Mandel consider appropriate?

Comment

I would say Edmonton (and all other communities) should get the number proportional to population. In case of Edmonton, the city should be required to have support from at least one other municipality from each geographic direction on board to pass any motion. That's my suggestion for vote distribution.

Comment

Considering approx. 70% of the population lives in Edmonton, I would hope for a little more than 15% of the voting power.

It definately is a fine balance though, as you dont want to give too much power to Edmonton and have them dominate everything (well, I personally wouldnt mind that...but I think others might have an issue )

Comment

Originally posted by grish
          I would say Edmonton (and all other communities) should get the number proportional to population.
          That's my suggestion for vote distribution.
          70% of population = 70% of control?

Might makes right?

Then why not proportional by area?

Comment

/\ quote the whole thing, not just the part that suits your point.

Originally posted by I, grish,
            I would say Edmonton (and all other communities) should get the number proportional to population. In case of Edmonton, the city should be required to have support from at least one other municipality from each geographic direction on board to pass any motion. That's my suggestion for vote distribution.
            there was a geographical component to my suggestion. edmonton cannot ram through any motion unless they have at least one supporter from each of East, South, North, and West parts of the capital region.

as for proportional by area--we then should have Nunvut and Northwest Territories decide our federal government.

Comment

Originally posted by dwells
              I would say Edmonton (and all other communities) should get the number proportional to population.
              That's my suggestion for vote distribution.
              70% of population = 70% of control?

Might makes right?

Then why not proportional by area?
              Because we excercise our vote by individual, not by the number of acres we own....

Comment

No matter what the percentages, Olesen will not agree to anything that gives Edmonton more power than Strathcona County.

It's hopeless to think that we could ever come to a mutually acceptable agreement. It's got to be imposed, plain and simple.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this all lays outs after the next round of municipal elections this fall...
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by IKAN104
                    No matter what the percentages, Olesen will not agree to anything that gives Edmonton more power than Strathcona County.

It's hopeless to think that we could ever come to a mutually acceptable agreement. It's got to be imposed, plain and simple.
                    You might be a bit optimistic, but I agree.

Good luck to Doug Radke is all I'll add.
                    Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

as for proportional by area--we then should have Nunvut and Northwest Territories decide our federal government.
                      Well, since you bring it up, isn't that the same as Toronto and Montreal setting all the standards and development objectives for all of Canada?

Comment

<Insert Bruce Cockburn song title here>
                        [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Comment

Originally posted by m0nkyman
                          Because we excercise our vote by individual, not by the number of acres we own....
                          Oh, right I forgot. It's the same as the residents living in downtown highrises who walk three blocks to work and pay virtually no property tax deciding on Edmonton's residential redevelopment, traffic control, public art projects, etc. Then, not satisfied with that, they want the city to have the same control over its neighbors.

Good luck, Mr. Radke.

Comment

Correct. After years of extremely slanted position papers on both sides intermixed with some good rational third party studies, the reality will come out. This reality also dictates that the counties have no interest in negotiating because they have nothing to gain, only pieces of perceived sovereignty to lose.

This reality is that we are one city. This reality is that we all need to look at both cost and revenue sharing. This reality is that the solution must be imposed. The reality is that the answers are there - it is just that the more lucrative counties don't like the answer.
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by dwells
                              Oh, right I forgot. It's the same as the residents living in downtown highrises who walk three blocks to work and pay virtually no property tax deciding on Edmonton's residential redevelopment, traffic control, public art projects, etc. Then, not satisfied with that, they want the city to have the same control over its neighbors.
                              Seeing that many downtown highrises are condos or apartments converted to condos, residents are just as likely to pay property taxes.
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X