St Albert annexation will allow for 80 years of growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urbantown
    St.Albert gets an uncontested 5000 acres or a 80 year supply of land from Sturgeon County. Meanwhile, Beaumont who needs land to grow had to fight for close to 4 years to annex 3360 acres from Leduc County only to have Edmonton want to take back 1440 acres from Beaumont in a hostile annexation. So much for collaboration.

I suspect Beaumont would much rather have Sturgeon County playing in their sandbox rather than Leduc County and Edmonton.

St. Albert population wise is 3-4 times bigger than Beaumont, so I'm not really seeing the concern with the size of the annexed areas relative to the city/town's size.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
      Originally posted by urbantown
      St.Albert gets an uncontested 5000 acres or a 80 year supply of land from Sturgeon County. Meanwhile, Beaumont who needs land to grow had to fight for close to 4 years to annex 3360 acres from Leduc County only to have Edmonton want to take back 1440 acres from Beaumont in a hostile annexation. So much for collaboration.

I suspect Beaumont would much rather have Sturgeon County playing in their sandbox rather than Leduc County and Edmonton.

St. Albert population wise is 3-4 times bigger than Beaumont, so I'm not really seeing the concern with the size of the annexed areas relative to the city/town's size.

In addition to the above annexation for 5000 acres, St. Albert annexed over 3000 acres in 2007.

I am not arguing that St. Albert should not be able to annex 8000 acres of land, I am trying to illustrate that Leduc County spent over $ 1,000,000 to unsuccessfully fight Beaumont's reasonable request for land. After Beaumont successfully argued their case to the MGB, the City of Edmonton will no doubt spend another $ 1,000,000 to try to take half the annexed land back.

Comment

I do hope the province insists on a bypass corridor wide enough for a freeway being reserved along Ray Gibbon Drive and north to Highway 2

Comment

Oh I'm sure they will do that, then once they build the new bypass they will clog it up with more power centres, strip malls, suburban development, traffic signals and congestion. It's how we roll.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
          X