being proud Metro Edmontonians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being proud Metro Edmontonians

What I liked the most from Iveson's State of the City speech is his push to change "Alberta Capital Region" to "Edmonton Metro"

Simons article:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...791/story.html

“Our region is vying against hundreds of mid-sized cities around the world for investment and talent,” Iveson told a packed banquet room at the Shaw Conference Centre. “And we risk being outperformed by regions that present a clear, unified proposition to investors.”

“If you were an investor in Dubai or Shanghai, and you Googled ‘capital region,’ you’d find capital regions in the U.S., India, Denmark, and the list goes on,” he continued.

To get on investors’ radar, Iveson told his audience, the Capital Region Board is now working on a more focused approach.

“Because when we’re united, our voice is that much stronger and our story is that much more compelling,” he said. “At 1.3 million strong, Edmonton Metro will be a force to be reckoned with.”

Speaking to reporters after the speech, Iveson stressed that he sees this as a partnership with the communities around Edmonton. The tag capital region, he stressed, simply doesn’t resonate as a brand. He’s not talking about political annexation, but about creating a strong united voice.
    “The region is now starting to work and think as one,” he said.
    We need to see ourselves as one integrated metro economy, with fierce pride in who we are. The time for shyness, for deference, for insecurity is past. We are Metropolitan Edmonton. We contain multitudes. And we should be proud to say so — loudly, and together.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I agree with Don.

Comment

While I've always agreed that the region should be marketed as one...and that Edmonton is the default name because it is the larger centre...do not underestimate the regional autonomy desires....

...for example, the airshow that I just launched...is called the Edmonton Airshow, and boy oh boy am I getting flack from the Villeneuve Owners and some leaders in Sturgeon/St Albert/Parkland that it isn't called the Villeneuve Airshow...
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Oh Lawd, not another one of these threads. Another round of 'look at us, were over here'. When's it going to end.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
          While I've always agreed that the region should be marketed as one...and that Edmonton is the default name because it is the larger centre...do not underestimate the regional autonomy desires....

...for example, the airshow that I just launched...is called the Edmonton Airshow, and boy oh boy am I getting flack from the Villeneuve Owners and some leaders in Sturgeon/St Albert/Parkland that it isn't called the Villeneuve Airshow...
          And pandering to them is the wrong thing.

Flack or not it's time to move ahead with Edmonton as the brand.

Comment

As much as one may think about marketing Edmonton...

St Albert has a brand too. Don't forget that. They are mighty possessive of that brand...even if many here want to scoff, guffaw, and accuse others of pandering...

The reality is...Edmonton also has a lot of work to do on its own brand...far above and beyond accusations of regional pandering. If anyone says Edmonton as a brand is stronger with or without the region...completely omits the reality of Edmonton as a brand. Just because we all hug and sing "we are the world/region/edmonchuckers"...doesn't change the meaning of EDMONTON when you mention the word outside the metro...

This regional thing is a bit of a red herring at times. Riddle me this...if Edmonton's brand was so darn amazing...wouldn't the region be clamouring to be Edmonchuckers (annexed or otherwise)?

...just a thought...

Comment

^ I live in St. Albert, and am completely in support of the Metro Edmonton brand as a better way of marketing our city of 1.3 million to the rest of the world. I believe many St.Albert residents feel the same way. "Capital Region" means nothing outside of Alberta, and puts Edmonton in the back seat even compared to our sister city to the south, which excels at marketing its brand every chance it gets.

The St. Albert brand has more to do with promoting St. Albert to people that already live within the metro Edmonton region than promoting St. Albert to the world.

Metro City branding and political amalgamation are two completely separate issues. Vancouver is a prime example of how metro branding can be successful without amalgamation needing to occur.

Comment

St Albert has a brand too. Don't forget that. They are mighty possessive of that brand...even if many here want to scoff, guffaw, and accuse others of pandering...

The reality is...Edmonton also has a lot of work to do on its own brand...far above and beyond accusations of regional pandering. If anyone says Edmonton as a brand is stronger with or without the region...completely omits the reality of Edmonton as a brand. Just because we all hug and sing "we are the world/region/edmonchuckers"...doesn't change the meaning of EDMONTON when you mention the word outside the metro...

This regional thing is a bit of a red herring at times. Riddle me this...if Edmonton's brand was so darn amazing...wouldn't the region be clamouring to be Edmonchuckers (annexed or otherwise)?

...just a thought...
                The catch is that Edmonton's brand is weak because it's diluted and not unified. The argument is that it will be easier to build the Edmonton Metro brand than it has been to build the Capital Region brand. The simple fact is that for anybody not from here Edmonton is the entire metro area.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

I like the idea of Metro Edmonton better because it is much easier for other countries to identify that area rather than Capital Region.
                  Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

...just a thought...
                    The catch is that Edmonton's brand is weak because it's diluted and not unified. The argument is that it will be easier to build the Edmonton Metro brand than it has been to build the Capital Region brand. The simple fact is that for anybody not from here Edmonton is the entire metro area.
                    This.
                    The reason the brand is weak is because of the undermining by the very people you say don't want to be associated with it because it's weak.
                    Those people, groups, towns, whatever are creating their own problem to blame. It's time to cut it off.

Comment

Geez people pay money for branding. Oh why not go with "Official host city of the turn of the century". Maybe we can pay yet more consultants to come up with The Metro-Awesome-plex or something similar.

Metro Edmonton or the Alberata Capital Region work fine for me, it tells it like it is, no fluff, to the point.

Comment

^Sorry, Alberta Capital Region doesn't work for me at all. Someone from outside Canada may have heard of West Edmonton Mall, the Edmonton Oilers or Edmonton International Airport, but Alberta Capital Region will mean nothing to them. Wouldn't we want to capitalize on and expand existing name recognition as much as we can?

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
                          Someone from outside Canada may have heard of West Edmonton Mall, the Edmonton Oilers or Edmonton International Airport, but Alberta Capital Region will mean nothing to them.
                          You did a good job summing it up here.

Comment

...just a thought...
                            Ok I'll bite. St Albert's brand is "Cherry Pickers".
                            The isolationism of the past has to stop. I still see St. Albert as sitting on the periphery and contributing very little to the regions interest.
                            Edmonton's image is not amazing and as a result the whole region suffers as a consequence. The day all of the outlying municipalities realize their image to the rest of the world will not improve until Edmonton's does we will all be better off.
                            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                              Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

...just a thought...
                              This.
                              The reason the brand is weak is because of the undermining by the very people you say don't want to be associated with it because it's weak.
                              Those people, groups, towns, whatever are creating their own problem to blame. It's time to cut it off.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Edmonton's "weak" brand has 0, less than 0, and even less than that to do with regionalism. Edmonton is the largest city in the metro, and it has inherited the reputation it has 100% completely, totally, unequivocally, and irreversibly deserved. Make no bones about it.

Edmonton - Dirt City moniker...did that come from Leduc...or from our lack of picking up the winter gravel?

Redmonton - yup, I am certain PC voting St Albert and Spruce Grove did that.

City of Champions - of course the St Albert Saints, or Leduc Bobcats, or Ft Sask Barons, or Throsby Whatevers were all included....right?

The comments about a dead downtown...yeah...that was Sherwood Park's fault.

You are entitled to the reputation you deserve.

Metro Seattle has a lot of cities that profess a strong identity (Bellevue being one), but they associate with Seattle as a metro because Seattle is known for a cool vibe. They still profess a regional conversation (especially when it comes to transit - but that is another conversation)...

Metro LA is made up of how many? San Diego? Vancouver? The cities around there grab the cool vibe from the main city...

What about here...why didn't these locales wanting to be Edmonton branded in the past? The simple difference in size would make you assume that these bedroom communities wanted to be a part of the bigger whole...

...or is it how Edmonton has (and in many areas continues to) act, to ignore some of the glaring concerns, and how it administers things that makes the region less likely to want to join...and brings out some of the potshots of yore?

...before you start telling everyone to jump on your brand...make sure it is a brand worth jumping on...a key reason why Capital Region died..

Comment

Working...
                              X