• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City forecast to hit 2.1 million by 2041

City forecast to hit 2.1 million by 2041
    Urban outskirts growing swiftly, population expert says

Postmedia News

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Edmonton's population is set to increase by one million people in the next three decades, the province believes, but the real growth may be hiding outside the city limits.

The Alberta government's population projection report suggests the provincial head count could top 6.2 million by 2041, with Edmonton and Calgary accounting for the bulk of the extra numbers.

Edmonton, under census division boundaries, is expected to be home to 2.1 million people by then. The report estimates Calgary will reach 2.4 million people, adding another one million from its current size, as the population becomes further concentrated in urban centres...
    http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...19ff0&sponsor=
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

It sure will be interesting to see what a 2.1million Edmonton looks like...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^ Almost certainly more expensive.

And more congested, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but with the city having committed to transit expansion at the cost of no money for roads, it will be a fact.

For me? Well, by then I should be ensconsed most of the year on this little island off the Carribean coast of Honduras.
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

It was mentioned briefly in the article, but note the Edmonton census division is much larger geographically than what we refer to as metro Edmonton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_No._11,_Alberta

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Comment

a 2.1 million person Edmonton means another ring road outside of Henday haha. Possibly an annexation of one of our Bedroom communities.
          youtube.com/BrothersGrim
          facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Before you know it we will have more rings than Saturn.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Looking at Statistics Canada and U. S. Census Bureau Estimates, if Edmonton and Calgary were U. S. Metropolitan Areas, they would rank around #40 in 2013, higher than #45 in 2010. In terms of growth (3 yr), the rankings would be:

1. Calgary (10.0%)
              2. Austin, TX (9.72%)
              3. Edmonton (9.0%)
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

I'm hoping for 1.5 million in the city and 0.6 million in the satellite/suburb/bedroom communities. Density and upward (not just outward) sprawl would keep it manageable. Bring it on !

Comment

What about the population for Edmonton itself ???
                  Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

1.6 and 06 would be about the ratio planned for already. My bad math makes it a mite closer to 70/30 versus the "ideal" 75/25 already considered. But close.
                    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
                      I'm hoping for 1.5 million in the city and 0.6 million in the satellite/suburb/bedroom communities. Density and upward (not just outward) sprawl would keep it manageable. Bring it on !
                      It's nice to hope, but that is not what the city will look like per how Iveson is leading the city at the moment. The metro growth plan optimistically aimed for about 20 per cent growth in mature neighbourhoods, the reality is very different with virtually all growth coming from greenfield sprawl, most mature neighbourhoods are not recycling, I expect most of them will decline in population as boomers die. I am very doubtful neighbourhoods like, for example, Castledowns will recycle. Relaxing infill rules will do squat when people can buy greenfield in 'safe' greenfield locations at subsidized prices. The annexation to the airport will provide plenty of room for this growth to be achieved through sprawl.
                      Last edited by moahunter; 12-07-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

^who cares? The sprawl will happen regardless of if its within the city limits or the counties. If we dont annex that land Leduc City and County will build the sprawl and get the taxes, at least if we annex it Edmonton can increase density within the sprawl and benefit from the taxes generated as well as from the planned commercial and industrial around EIA.

Comment

Didn't take long turning this into yet another sprawl thread.

Yeah, we get it already. Sprawl bad. Move on.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

*giggle*
                            I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

The ratio could depend on whether annexations are approved or denied. I say 66 COE and 34 surrounding. I approve of assembling row for future outer ring so it will be there when that's all urban and needed. ( That won't be long the way things are going). I approve of LRT and more LRT plus freeways. I'm a both are needed kind of guy. Go forth and multiply Edmonton!!
                              Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Working...
                              X