No announcement yet.

Minister urges capital region mayors and reeves to work together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it has finally come to this. I have to admit, the CRB compares admirably these days to the parliamentary bodies of our good neighbours down south. Hopefully this will send a wake-up call to some of the hardheads on the board.

Comment

I'm conflicted on this.
      Amalgamation would increase efficiency of government, planning and bring a more balanced revenue stream for the city of Edmonton. However, I'm scared it would completely mess up voting and result in a less forward thinking city council like what has happened in Toronto with Rob Ford.
      Go down a few dark alleys.

Comment

I am surprised you guys missed this...

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ir-fair-share/

Evidence for the free-rider effect: Do St. Albert, Sherwood Park residents pay their fair share?

Data Tables..... http://www.scribd.com/doc/135854886/...2012-Lightbody

paper... http://www.scribd.com/doc/135854373/WRSA-2012-Lightbody

Highlighted sections of his findings...

Whereas 95 per cent of all visible minorities dwell in Edmonton city, the number of visible minorities in the adjacent suburb of St. Albert is 4 per cent less than free-standing cities like Red Deer, 15 per cent less than that of Calgary, and 19 per cent less than in Edmonton. In St. Albert, the percentage of visible minorities actually declined from 6.57 to 5.82 over the 20 years from 1981. The average family income in St. Albert was $55,000; in Edmonton it was $41,000. Home ownership is 19 per cent higher in St. Albert than in Edmonton. The average income for St. Albert residents was 32 per cent greater than for the central city; 25 per cent higher for residents in Edmonton’s neighbouring Strathcona County. Differences in the median for family incomes are more pronounced: St. Albert is 43 and Strathcona 41 per cent higher than that for the city-region’s core.

Overall, these results strongly suggest that the dependent suburban communities around core cities have created the luxury of being selective in choosing who may enjoy their ‘quality of life’ by internal policy choices.

----

With protective services, free-standing Red Deer must commit a third more funding than any suburb of either city-region while Lethbridge spends more than twice that in the Calgary suburb of Airdrie and any Edmonton suburb. Suburbs bail out on city-regional implied obligations by simply excluding population segments requiring more specialized attention. …

As a specific example of consequence, even though suburban St. Albert’s population increased by 58 per cent, 1991-2001, the number of serving RCMP members for a population of 53,081 increased by only six. In 1991, the ratio of citizens to police officers was 717 to 1. By 2004 that ratio was 1080 to 1.19, and council ratified funding for a third officer to be available for all criminal activities from drugs through arson to murder only “because Edmonton’s pushers are moving into [our] city” (Lightbody, 2006: 415-46).

-----

Because suburbs erect barriers to settlement through their public policies in realms such as housing, consciously or unintended these communities have separated themselves socially and economically from meeting their city-regional policy responsibilities. Outrider councils can provide for exclusivity only because core cities alone pick up the tab to meet city-regional need.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by mnugent View Post
          I'm conflicted on this.
          Amalgamation would increase efficiency of government, planning and bring a more balanced revenue stream for the city of Edmonton. However, I'm scared it would completely mess up voting and result in a less forward thinking city council like what has happened in Toronto with Rob Ford.
          I don't see how it would mess up voting patterns, since amalgamation would only be like-to-like (for instance: Sherwood Park-St. Albert-Edmonton, Stony Plain-Spruce Grove, municipal amagamations etc.). Once people get over the initial shock, I should think common interests would prevail as the new entities start to gel.

As to City Council, keep in mind that Toronto's Megacity act led to an effective tripling of the population while any proposed amalgamation would increase Edmonton's population by a fifth at most. Therefore, any additions to Edmonton would result in a marginal increase to the number of councillors to the table. The offset is that the CRB is reduced to a more reasonable size, aka the 8-12 range which is around the size of Calgary's board.

What worries me is that amalgamation takes place, the Tories get booted out, the Wild Rose gets swept in, and part of their platform is to hold a referendum on de-amalgamation (like the Liberals in Quebec).

For that matter, I am doubtful that amalgamation will go ahead at all - it seems more like a scare tactic to prod the Board into action. Additionally, the article mentions a provincial mediator whose report is due in June - wouldn't that impose a six week deadline rather than six months?

@EDP: Glenco's article has a good chunk devoted to Professor Lightbody's research, along with a link to the blod article at the end.
          Last edited by Foolworm; 15-04-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

^ The counties should simply be pulled from the regional planning board as well as the bit players. They should still have to apply to the board for anything within the region but there is no need for them to have a seat.
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Assets...eb+14+2013.pdf

The Industrial park proposal put forward by parkland county...

It's very interesting that Parkland itself admits that 80% of workers in this area will live outside of Parkland while they collect all the taxes....

Comment

We’re being undercut in the region”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...in-the-region/

“It contained within it a series of arguments about why the county is a better place to locate your business. Those have to do with the fact that taxes are lower and infrastructure is better. But it’s because the province provides all that infrastructure, overpasses and highways,” he said.

“We’re being undercut in the region. That needs to be address somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                  ^ The counties should simply be pulled from the regional planning board as well as the bit players. They should still have to apply to the board for anything within the region but there is no need for them to have a seat.
                  I think all the towns within a municipality should share a representative with the municipality itself. That way, it will force some kind of consensus between the municipality and its constituent communities before being brought forward to the larger board. It also inhibits cliques of towns and counties from forming. Cities will stay the same and contribute a member each. The total number of members would then be reduced to 10 - a much more reasonable number.

I like how Griffiths describes one million as 'a hamlet in China'. Imagine if everyone in the region was packed within the limits of AHD.
                  Last edited by Foolworm; 15-04-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

flog the old C2E regional borough concept, yet again, in 5.....4.....3.....2.......1.....

C2E Regional Deal (borough)

Thread Link 1

Thread Link 2

...yes...I know...I keep bringing this up...

In the end however, I firmly believe that this will be similar to the final result. So, in that vein, I'll keep flogging this until I can't flog it anymore!
                    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Any partnership, be it a board, a business, a not for profit or an association only works when it is based on trust.

The one thing the actions of the CRB and "in my opinion" the comments on this thread have shown is a complete lack of trust.

Till that is overcome no structure is going to work.

Time is long past to lose the hidden agendas and self interest if anything is going to work.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

It's no different from regional differences in Edmonton. Many people who don't live downtown won't support it. Beverly and Jasper Place basically surrendered to annexation in the sixties, but I don't think they're very cooperative with the rest of the city.
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^ Just exactly how did you come up with that hypothesis ? How are Beverly and JP not "cooperative" ?
                          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                            It's no different from regional differences in Edmonton. Many people who don't live downtown won't support it. Beverly and Jasper Place basically surrendered to annexation in the sixties, but I don't think they're very cooperative with the rest of the city.
                            Here's the thing

These are the representatives we are intrusting to provide a path to the future for the region. It is their responsibility to put aside personal differences, agendas etc. and look to a "Regional" future.

The CRB is not going to work as long as there is not a mutual "trust" among the partners.

If they cannot or will not build that "trust" then the CRB is not going to work.

Tinkering with the structure, threats and punitive actions are not going to solve the problem if there is no trust.

If that is the case dissolve the CRB now and lets quit wasting time.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

^^Caterina and Sloan are the elected councillors and they seem to be hostile to any idea to improve Edmonton.

^ I agree Thomas, trust needs to be built. I think it's present in some factions, but not for the whole region. This region will continue to grow and there will be a price to pay.
                              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^ you don't seem to have a clue. How is it that someone who has so little knowledge and insight into most areas of the city can have so many opinions ?
                                Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X