Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    McBoo
    In fairness Tom, haven't seen any of the usual anti-sprawl suspects posting on this thread.
    Ya know I can't agree on this, the number of times I saw anti sprawl posted by a huge range of posters from 2008 to 2011, all the nimby stuff etc...nah.n
    Yes. A lot of people have certainly changed their tune. And I'm looking more toward our esteemed municipal government than anyone on here...

...not that I'm opposed to this annexation in any form...

Comment

Because this isn't just about Sprawl for housing this is also about industrial land... lots and lots of industrial...

Something Edmonton has often been denied it's fair share of.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Summary of Thomas Hindericks: Developing the former City center airport in to sustainable housing is bad.
        Developing areas in the south of the city is also bad.

These Million plus people coming to the region over the next 30 years have to go somewhere, and they won't all fit into horsehills.

TH is getting as bad as some of the Calgary trolls on this forum.

In my highly biased personal opinion.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
          Because this isn't just about Sprawl for housing this is also about industrial land... lots and lots of industrial...

So would it be a bad thing to annex Nisku as well?

Comment

Edmonton has been the architect of that for a good part, for example, giving away Refinery Row.

Comment

Okay. But who's going to want to build anything industrial on the Edmonton side of the highway, when the Nisku side has no business tax?

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                I don't get the big argument over sprawl vs. no sprawl going on here.

Whether this land belongs to Edmonton or Leduc, it's going to sprawl. Nothing we do can change that, no matter how any of us feel about it.

EXACTLY...

...anyone denying this is sprawl...or denying that regardless of who does it, we're going to sprawl...well...you're just playing politics to the situiation...and I am looking at 3 councillors right into their forked tongued manifestos at the moment...

Let's just call it what it is...just like the veto schmeeto of a few days back. This is about revenue...and revenue generating opportunity. To do this given our current construct and citizen expectations demands we expand...and that means spra...ahem...smart growth ...sprawl with a fancy name...

We demand:
                • affordable housing. We put all our eggs into this land equity basket...and then expect first time home buyers to pay for our retirement...you want to get a reason for the doughnut hole...look at your portfolio.
                • land. Even a postage stamp yard is still land. If you don't believe me, explain the product mix.
                • Not having to hear, see, smell, talk to, be friends with, or even beleive that a neighbor exists...therefore we will either have apartments with incredibly large balconies and 4' thick walls (read $$$$$$$$$$$), or the illusion of privacy a single detached home "provided"...and the vast majority pick the latter...and add a swing set and a Mr Turtle pool adjacent to their 6' "privacy fence".
                • we refuse to gentrify older industrial areas because it costs too much...so in order to compete with other areas...we take over or use other virgin land...
                Claim density numbers...claim ratios...claim who does it "better"...it is sprawl...the necessary evil unless we are into further social engineering like population control? You have a market...it is demanding x...deal...

This annexation - given our current construct - is the right move overall for Edmonton to sprawl forth. YEG should have been a part of Edmonton since day 1...that would have killed the tax revenue game that kept the YXD v YEG debate open...ensured that we put transit to it in the 1960's...and given the industrial corridor that could have given rise to Port Alberta...

...and yes...the County of Leduc has known about this for some time...and from being a resident there in my life...they are overall a good bunch to deal with IMO. I don't see this being too angry...there will be concerns...but not Dick Plain "creeps and bums" concerns....
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryH View Post

Edmonton has been the architect of that for a good part, for example, giving away Refinery Row.

...I was just going to say that...

...any conversation on what Edmonton "deserves" needs to be juxtaposed with what actions it takes currently, and in the past...

Like:
                  • not going after YEG or working in the YEG framework in the first place
                  • making it impossible to get around (21 lights on the Yellowhead, a pathetic Whitemud, and lights galore to YEG)...no wonder people wanted to bypass
                  • not making allowances for heavy industry within its borders (too stinky was the reason...hey...wasn't there someone claiming that stinky industries were a problem in another thread?)

...in the Parkland veto thread, I outlined many areas in West Edmonton that are industrial...let's be clear...Edmonton has a lot of industrial land.

...it just wants more...it should be able to grow on pace with the other regions...because again this is purely, simply, and completely a revenue issue.

...no typical C2E hysterics needed...like demanding to know business names so you can boycott them...hysterics indeed...

Comment

Build it now....build it in cedar

I hope that the discussions actually result in annexation this time. There have been a few"false" starts over the past 15 years on the annexation front. Perhaps Mayor Mandel will stay on for another term to see annexation through to completion.

Comment

With the extension of Terwillager Drive south to eventually hook up with the QEII it makes sense for the city annex the portion to the west of the highway. It also gives us full control over the LRT ROW to the airport. Gives the city room to grow without dealing with Beaumont/Nisku/Leduc on the east side.

Comment

Please be advised the new neighbourhood design and planning guidlines that the City instated a long while ago. As many say this is for securing industrial and transportational areas, airport taxes and controlled development of the area (not to mention the Castrol Raceway - would be nice to have a good international racetrack again - and Port Alberta. Parkland security along Whitemud Creek, and the River Valley.

With the new designs of neighbourhoods - many that we are seeing now being developed in Edmonton (Heritage Valley area) - LRT corridor progressing south to the airport... I think it's nothing but positives for a growing industrial metropolitan centre for the Albertan economy. More territory doesn't mean more same-talk of Road City, but merely expansion. The same people that want to live 32km from DT will move to new suburbs, and the same people that want to be able to walk, ride, cycle close to work and vibrant walk-able neighbourhoods will invest in a more pleasing urban city. Edmonton is changing towards the later faster than we think, just give it time. In the mean time, let's grow.
                        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Plus, if we restricted city expansion we would only end up with another Portland. Neighbouring communities would explode with the idea of having the only options of new suburb developments. If Edmonton, with the financial ability and foresight to urban planning/infrastructure, were to cede suburban development to further away towns and cities, then that would be worse for sprawl.
                          Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Hey MikeK...good to see you...thanks for the map...

...although I prefer this one...

It is amazing what a room full of C2E users can come up with...many anti annexation...

Yeah yeah yeah...I know...keep dreaming...of a cooperative region offering a multitude of living styles and product...with distinct regions that are not infighting anymore...that can have unique neighborhood styles yet lead with one voice...and focused now on competing globally and proving that we aren't a base camp to the new Klondike...more than just dumb lucky and a pretty face...

...I know...silly old bear that I am...

TTFN

Edit...if you want to know the story behind the map, CLICK HERE. page 40
                            Last edited by RichardS; 05-03-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

if annex to EIA, it will give Edmonton better chances to built LRT track from Century Park to EIA in near future.
                              Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

I would like to see Edmonton annex to Sherwood Park and St Albert into one city as whole so meaning the population for the city itself will go little over 900,000.
                                Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X