No announcement yet.

City of Edmonton announces annexation plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^so what happened at this negotiation? anyone know?

Comment

• It seems like they are dragging their feet on this issue. Me being a lover of sprawl I was hoping for some development on the west side of the Queen E going out to the airport. Looking far too barren on that side.
      Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

• Edmonton and Leduc County have reached an agreement.

Comment

• http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-on-annexation

As part of the new Framework for Agreement, the City of Edmonton and Leduc County have agreed to the following, according to a joint news release:
          •The City of Edmonton amend its west annexation notice by withdrawing the lands west of the Edmonton International Airport (EIA) and south of Highway 19, reducing the proposed west annexation area by 2,584 hectares (6,379 acres) to approximately 9,469 hectares (23,398 acres).
          •Leduc County will retain the north Nisku industrial area and the reservoir (previously part of the east annexation notice), reducing the east annexation area from 3,945 hectares (9,748 acres) to approximately 2,632 hectares (6,504 acres).
          •Unless mutually agreed, the City of Edmonton’s boundary will not shift again into Leduc County until joint planning for that area has been completed.

The inclusion of EIA lands in the annexation will be determined over the next several months through a collaborative exercise between Leduc County, the City of Edmonton and the EIA.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• What is the 'may or may not be annexed' in regards to the Airport. Is a decision going to be made on that. What are the sticking points.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• My take was that more discussion will take place, an agreement could not be reached on the airport. They may yet share jurisdiction of the airport or whatever is determined at that time. For now they are settling and signing on the areas on the map. Edmonton just got a whole lot bigger. I had to phone my friend who lives in the soon to be annexed area and let him know they will soon be residents of the city of Edmonton. He was not available but I left a message. They had an offer already of 60 million dollars for their farmland.
              Last edited by Drumbones; 30-11-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Listened to this announcement on the radio coming back from Saskatchewan.

Only in Edmonton would we have a bitter dispute about closing and airport due to surrounding development only to annex land so we can develop right up to edge of another airport. An even bigger airport at that.

Well I hope those in power are at least smart enough to put caveats on all the properties so no one can apply all the complaints made about City Centre to EIA.

Simply amazing in my opinion.
                Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 30-11-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• two completely different situations. I see you're still sour over the important civic decision that was made by our elected officials about a stale old industrial airport that was too small, too inadequate, and far too close to our downtown core which unfortunately put the approaches to the runways right over the center of our city and limited growth of said downtown. Missing in your post is the billions of dollars of development that has been enabled with the closure of said airport.

I have no doubt that EIA will ever have this problem of being too close to buildings needing to be that tall.... but go on... tell us just how simply amazing this is
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                    two completely different situations. I see you're still sour over the important civic decision that was made by our elected officials about a stale old industrial airport that was too small, too inadequate, and far too close to our downtown core which unfortunately put the approaches to the runways right over the center of our city and limited growth of said downtown. Missing in your post is the billions of dollars of development that has been enabled with the closure of said airport.

I have no doubt that EIA will ever have this problem of being too close to buildings needing to be that tall.... but go on... tell us just how simply amazing this is
                    Not sour at all

Shocked nothing was learned. Plans announced on CHED specify high density in the flight path zones and development up to highway 19. The story repeats, just like it is in Toronto.

Hence my comment about caveats

See you can't change the past ... but you can learn from it. But we didn't.

IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
                      Simply amazing in my opinion.
                      Not really, it's quite understandable. Land speculators have been lobbying the city to annex this land for years. It's just greed. The city expands to the South, and then we wonder why it can't fill the quarters or blatchford. The reality is, the people in charge don't want to. The decision years ago to close the muni for domestic flights by consolidating at YEG drove many head offices from Edmonton to Calgary. Now COE is driving residents south to YEG. Go figure.
                      Last edited by moahunter; 30-11-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Moa ... This isn't about ECCA or even Edmonton specifically, but Edmonton should know better considering our recent history.

Save for a very few airports on islands (and even a few of them) all airports end up in this cycle ...
                        1) They get built well away from Urban or even built up areas
                        2) Population gets closer creating a demand for industrial area, land is cheap around an airport so .... it gets approved.
                        3) People want to live close to work, land is cheap houses are a deal so ... it gets approved.
                        4) Couple decades later complaints start ... that damn airport is too noisy blah, blah, blah, pollution etc.
                        and the cycle continues ... Edmonton, Leduc, Toronto, Canada, USA, Europe, Asia ... repeats. So here we go again, learned nothing.

It is not the airports fault ... it is poor urban planning at the civic level. So Edmonton is committed to this expansion ...
                        Put the appropriate property caveats in place now. It won't stop the problem but it will make future complaints indefensible.

IMO

Comment

• What would those caveats be?

Comment

• Noise would be a good start, confirming reduced property value due to airport proximity another and acknowledging they are in a flight path area with all the effects.

Better still ... pull out the complaints from the ECCA exercise and Leduc, give them to legal counsel and start there would be best.

IMO

Comment

• I drive this route a lot and see the planes coming and going. The flight path heads NE of the airport. The planes come in quite high up over the north end of the Nisku industrial park, then across QE2 around Trinidad Drilling but still quite high up. They really start coming down where the Crossroads industrial park is planned. Where residential would be planned is not in a flight path at all. Remember also that the QE2 is to be moved west a bit too. You are way off with this flight path business IMO. Sorry Tom. Now Leduc, that's different, they fly right over. The north side of Leduc is industrial as well though. They come in right over that area. When I eat in the A&W parking lot with my kid they fly right over. It's industrial as they come in but it's still a pain because they are very low there. I don't hear people complain though, they are used to it. Either way, it's not downtown and especially the north runway, they fly high over industrial and very high by the time they go over orchards, mill woods, or the meadows.
                              Last edited by Drumbones; 01-12-2016, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• good god. "this isn't about ecca" but your post directly refers to ECCA.

I'm not sure what high density build up you're talking about. Yes, development will push south towards the airport, regardless of annexation. No, its not history repeating itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X