City of Edmonton announces annexation plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottieA View Post
    12-1 Council approval to move forward with the plan. The lone hold out of course being Sloan...
    Does she ever vote yes, I swear she just votes the opposite of everyone else to stand out.

Comment

TH:
      “Edmonton is the employment, educational, cultural and social hub of the entire Capital Region. Completing this process will provide the infrastructure needed for our region’s promising growth,” says Mayor Mandel. “With these extensions of our boundary, we help manage growth in a way that avoids patchwork infrastructure, facilitates growth to an urban standard, avoids traffic congestion with integrated planning, and secures a commercial and growth tax base needed to help pay for the benefits we provide to the entire region.”
      You may want to learn the differences between these two phrases: Sprawl and Smart Growth.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
        TH:
        “Edmonton is the employment, educational, cultural and social hub of the entire Capital Region. Completing this process will provide the infrastructure needed for our region’s promising growth,” says Mayor Mandel. “With these extensions of our boundary, we help manage growth in a way that avoids patchwork infrastructure, facilitates growth to an urban standard, avoids traffic congestion with integrated planning, and secures a commercial and growth tax base needed to help pay for the benefits we provide to the entire region.”
        You may want to learn the differences between these two phrases: Sprawl and Smart Growth.
        Oh I get it

Sprawl vs Justified sprawl...and it's ok cause it's Edmonton's.

City of Edmonton do your thing and annex away, I don't have a problem with it.

Said my piece

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

TH, could you seriously cut it out with the "In my highly biased personal opinion" thing already.
          Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

TH:
            In this case, the main difference is semantics. But still, if it helps you guys to sleep easier at night, go for it.
            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
              Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
              $3m in taxes from airport will shift from Leduc to Edmonton.
              So...sprawl is good if we get paid for it?

Sorry GreenSpace not meant to be directed at you personally so please don't take it that way.

I've made my points I am going away (shaking my head mind you) on this topic.

And yet when the city moves forward with the Blatchford development that will increase density and reduce sprawl it's the biggest mistake in our history.

ECCA is was originally the Hagman farm so complaints about development taking away farmland ring a little hollow.

Comment

TH:
                Oh I get it

Sprawl vs Justified sprawl...and it's ok cause it's Edmonton's.

City of Edmonton do your thing and annex away, I don't have a problem with it.

Said my piece

I'm sorry you dont get it, or dont choose to get it, or willfully ignore what has been stated on this thread.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I find it interesting that the City and County have been amiably discussing this for quite awhile.

Not sure, but IIRC, the County also amiably let Leduc (the City) annex land for growth.

This makes the County of Leduc likely the single jurisdiction among 19 in the capital region that's not trying to get into the urban sprawl game.

Perhaps because servicing urban development is more expensive than it's worth? Well, to them maybe.
                  ... gobsmacked

Comment

My wife deals with Leduc County on a regular basis. They are absolutely awesome to work with.
                    Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

And......what happened to urban sprawl being a problem? Growing inwards?

In the next 30 years we are adding 1 million people to the area( as estimated )

Do you really think that is going all in our existing footprint?

We have put plans in place to capture 25% of that within our existing footprint.. This has come from a point where we HAD NO PLANS to capture ANYTHING within our existing footprint.
                      Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM.
                      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I don't get the big argument over sprawl vs. no sprawl going on here.

Whether this land belongs to Edmonton or Leduc, it's going to sprawl. Nothing we do can change that, no matter how any of us feel about it.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^ Exactly thats why the region has put in land use guidelines we all signed off on it. Thats why we said no to a low density development at a rural airport and that's why we have set density targets for new developments that EVERYONE has to adhere to .
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I didn't think this was going to happen so soon! Usually when Edmonton (or any other major city in Canada) tries to annex that much land, most counties or other types of municipalities would raise a great big stink about this. I can't see the town of Beaumont being too happy about this due to this conflicting with its annexation plans. I remember years ago when Bill Smith was Mayor, one CoE councillor (I think it was Robert Noce) getting called out for even bringing up the idea of annexing YEG.

While it may invite sprawl, at least I'm glad the CoE decided to annex the airport itself, as this should make it easier to maintain public transit to/from the airport, and of course plan for LRT to run there in the future.

Here's what Edmonton's city limits would look like if the whole annexation plan went ahead:
                            Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Comment

^ we are coming for you Devon Nom Nom Nom

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                                Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
                                $3m in taxes from airport will shift from Leduc to Edmonton.
                                So...sprawl is good if we get paid for it?

Sorry GreenSpace not meant to be directed at you personally so please don't take it that way.

I've made my points I am going away (shaking my head mind you) on this topic.

And yet when the city moves forward with the Blatchford development that will increase density and reduce sprawl it's the biggest mistake in our history.

ECCA is was originally the Hagman farm so complaints about development taking away farmland ring a little hollow.
                                You know if I was opposed to the annexation you would have a point.

But I am not and have clearly stated that multiple times in this thread.

What I have issue with is hypocrisy.

ScottieA

TH, could you seriously cut it out with the "In my highly biased personal opinion" thing already.
                                No...it is there on the advice of Legal Counsel due to incidents relating back to this forum.

I would much rather I put it in my signature, but apparently that doesn't count.

It will be there whenever I post as an individual, if I am posting on behalf of my position I will use my work title at that time in conjunction with my full name.

It's a pain in the butt, but I guess that is the way things are and the games some like to play.

In my highly biased personal opinion to both of my comments in this post

Comment

Working...
                                X