No announcement yet.

City of Edmonton announces annexation plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And......what happened to urban sprawl being a problem? Growing inwards?

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

I believe Beaumont's wants far exceed what they need for the 30 years..... which is an issue under the land use planning.

It's about eff'n time we went after the airport. Leduc counting is going to ***** a brick.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
        Mostly to capture land already developed or planned to be - mostly industrial tax base (lucrative), and airport corridor.
        www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
          Mostly to capture land already developed or planned to be - mostly industrial tax base (lucrative), and airport corridor.
          Last time I drove that zone extensively (about 3 years ago) it was mostly farmland.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
            (...)

It's about eff'n time we went after the airport. Leduc counting is going to ***** a brick.

...I'll bet they knew this was coming. I'm sure you meant Leduc County...
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that Edmonton and Leduc County were discussing EIA annexation back when Bill Smith was Mayor. Remember reading about it years ago.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Last time I drove that zone extensively (about 3 years ago) it was mostly farmland.

Doesn't mean it's not already planned, or soon to be underway ie. Port Alberta
                www.decl.org

Comment

Edmonton Seeks Boundary Adjustment

March 05, 2013

Process aims to secure vital economic growth corridor, ensure strong core for sustainable regional prosperity

Edmonton City Council directed Administration to begin a process to extend the City’s southern boundary to facilitate responsible growth in the region.

The proposed boundary extension includes the corridor along the west side of the QE II Highway and encompasses the Edmonton International Airport.

This area would secure lands to accommodate strong demand for residential, business and employment growth within the City, which provides – and funds – the majority of infrastructure and support services in the metro region. A City administered corridor would also better facilitate the future LRT extension to the Airport.

“For Edmonton, this process is about securing land to accommodate natural growth along our southern boundary,” said Mayor Stephen Mandel. “We are continuing a discussion we started with the Leduc County a year ago to bring the right combination of infrastructure, municipal services and orderly growth management to a growth area that is vital to the future of our whole Capital Region.”

The land was identified as a priority growth area by the Capital Region Board, which oversees a region with 3.8% growth expected in 2013. Edmonton is seeking to manage the anticipated development, and apply Edmonton’s higher density and urban standards such as site servicing and enhanced traffic management.

“Edmonton is the employment, educational, cultural and social hub of the entire Capital Region. Completing this process will provide the infrastructure needed for our region’s promising growth,” says Mayor Mandel. “With these extensions of our boundary, we help manage growth in a way that avoids patchwork infrastructure, facilitates growth to an urban standard, avoids traffic congestion with integrated planning, and secures a commercial and growth tax base needed to help pay for the benefits we provide to the entire region.”

http://edmonton.ca/city_government/n...djustment.aspx
                  www.decl.org

Comment

Doesn't mean it's not already planned, or soon to be underway ie. Port Alberta
                    Ya know I am not opposed to this, question it a little, but not opposed.

But after all the dozens of threads on this site about "stopping urban sprawl", "Growing up not out" etc. etc to see the usual suspects celebrating an expansion of this magnitude into farm lands (to a large extent) just shouts out how little stopping urban sprawl means when push comes to shove.

Amazing

Comment

^yes, except this to capture land and taxation already sprawling and plan it better than County of Leduc was proposing
                      www.decl.org

Comment

...instead of continuing to be partially pregnant...and in the spirit of just had to bring this up....

http://pivit.ca/c2e/C2E_Regional_Forum_v7.1.pdf

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...hlight=Borough

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...hlight=Borough

Etc, etc, etc...speaking of long overdue conversations that remove silly vetos and annexation (for at least a very long while)
                        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

This flies in the face of so much that is posted on this site it's unreal
                          - Urban sprawl
                          - Grow in not out
                          - Grow up not out
                          - Greenfield development
                          - Local farming, local produce and food supply
                          etc., etc., etc.

This forum is getting so, hypocritical.

Good luck City of Edmonton, as I said I really not opposed.

Comment

Ya know I am not opposed to this, question it a little, but not opposed.

But after all the dozens of threads on this site about "stopping urban sprawl", "Growing up not out" etc. etc to see the usual suspects celebrating an expansion of this magnitude into farm lands (to a large extent) just shouts out how little stopping urban sprawl means when push comes to shove.

Amazing

If there's gonna be urban sprawl, it's gonna be our urban sprawl god-damn-it!!!
                            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

I don't think it goes against the "anti-Sprawl" advocates as much as you may think. If Edmonton doesn't secure this land it is going to be developed in a very uniform and sprawl format similar to that in Nisku/Leduc. I think Edmonton will help keep this area from developing out of control. I also think it will help clean up the area. They are not going to develop the area over night, this is just securing land for the future.

Comment

^How Edmonton does sprawl vs. say County of Leduc is like 2-3x denser. I feel more comfortable lobbying Edmonton City Council on the problems with sprawl, than say leave it in the hands of the Counties. They have shown they don't respect their farmland either.
                                www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                                X