ReplyTo: [email protected]
    Subject: St. Albert Gazette news bulletin, April 30, 2012
    Sent: Apr 30, 2012 7:54 PM

St. Albert Gazette April 30, 2012

*** News Bulletin ***

Hi ,

Here's your news bulletin of the moment:
    ================================================== =====
    St. Albert to pursue annexation from Sturgeon County ================================================== =====

Five years after a lengthy and costly annexation that soured relations between St. Albert and Sturgeon County, city council voted Monday night to start proceedings on its third annexation from the county in 11 years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To read the full story or read other articles go to:
    http://www.stalbertgazette.com/artic...turgeon-county

News bulletin brought to you by: {edit...ad removed}
    President and CEO - Airshow.

st albert should join into edmonton lol
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

It's about time Edmonton annexes St. Albert, perhaps Sturgeon County would agree.
      Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

I wish it was to happen but st albert will not let Edmonton annex them.
        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
          It's about time Edmonton annexes St. Albert, perhaps Sturgeon County would agree.
          No way. They have no industrial base and super high taxes. If anything, annex Sherwood Park, their refineries, and their super low taxes.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^ yep 10o% agree.

St Albert is looking at major infrastructure expenditures with not enough tax base to solve it... this is why they annexing land. They are trying to build up commercial lands.

Making Edmonton population bigger isn't the answer, we need to go after money.... Our annexation should be the airport, Nisku and the QE2 corridor that connects it.
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Edmonton doesn't want to annex St Albert. Since that is not in the cards, growing their commercial base is the only option - so annexation.
              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Perhaps St. Albert should consider annexing Edmonton ....
                I live in St. Albert. Yes, the property taxes are high, but I wouldn't consider them "super high". And for those taxes we get pretty decent quality of life - lots of leafy boulevards, biking and jogging trails, prompt snow removal from residential streets, and a remarkable lack of potholes and crumbling sidewalks. All of that has got to be worth something (cue the MasterCard commercial).

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
                  I live in St. Albert. Yes, the property taxes are high, but I wouldn't consider them "super high". And for those taxes we get pretty decent quality of life - lots of leafy boulevards, biking and jogging trails, prompt snow removal from residential streets, and a remarkable lack of potholes and crumbling sidewalks. All of that has got to be worth something (cue the MasterCard commercial).
                  Ugh. The percieved 'better' quality of life and mindset that comes with it from the St Albert crowd is exactly what turns me off about that place.
                  youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                  facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

St Albet is nice... its nothing super special.. it's just like any other Ann Arbor or Hinsdale....

what they ( the average st Albert Joes/Susans) don't realizes is the ticking infrastructural time bomb they are sitting on. That majority of that suburb was all built at the same time and they can look forward to major roads failing, sidewalks cracking etc.. staring in the next decade or so.
                    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
                      You realize taxes are about 50% higher in St. Albert than in Edmonton right? And as was mentioned, they won't be nearly enough to cover the infrastructure needs. A lot of St. Albert is already crumbling, with no funds to fix it.

Our taxes in Edmonton, despite being the most they've ever been, already include all that's necessary to completely replace aging infrastructure, as is being done every year, community by community.

Anecdote: my employer wanted to expand via acquisitions. A large competitor opened their books to us in an effort to sell themselves for a profit, thinking they were the cream of the crop and could laugh all the way to the bank. The books were a mess, and even though purchasing the company would have realized us advantages, economies of scale, and reduced competition, it was an accounting nightmare scenario that likely would never return any real profit.

In this case, my company represents Edmonton, and the messy competitor represents St. Albert.
                      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^I thought people in St Albert preferred paying more to keep out the riff/raff and transients. It surprises me that might be changing, perhaps St Albert has built too many sprawl neighborhoods recently and isn't only a desirable exclusive community anymore?

Comment

^They need to bring down the taxes so Wal-Mart employees can afford to live there and continue selling the worlds cheapest garbage to a group of people that think they're fancypants.

Comment

Here is a link to the City of St. Albert news release that also has a link of the lands being rezoned industrial: http://www.stalbert.ca/2012-may-01-c...opment?id=2408

This is one of those unfortunate situations where a decision that makes sense from a municipal perspective (i.e. diversifying the tax base) makes no sense from a regional perspective.

What the region ends up with is a relatively small industrial area geographically isolated from other adjacent and much larger industrial areas (e.g. Acheson in Parkland County and the Edmonton NW Industrial Area).

Comment

I don't get the obsession with annexation. Other cities manage fine, maybe we can all just learn to get along better?

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                              St Albet is nice... its nothing super special.. it's just like any other Ann Arbor or Hinsdale....

what they ( the average st Albert Joes/Susans) don't realizes is the ticking infrastructural time bomb they are sitting on. That majority of that suburb was all built at the same time and they can look forward to major roads failing, sidewalks cracking etc.. staring in the next decade or so.
                              Ann Arbor (Michigan) is a lot more interesting than "St. Albet" (sic). It's basically Michigan's cool, urban destination like Whyte Ave or 124th St is, as Detroit itself lacks this for the most part, aside from small parts of suburban downtowns. Ann Arbor is more comparable to Madison (WI), Burlington (VT), Kingston (ON), Lawrence (KS), or Saskatoon (SK).
                              Last edited by edmontonenthusiast; 06-05-2012, 11:07 AM.
                              ----

Comment

Working...
                              X