St. Albert to pursue annexation from Sturgeon County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SP59 View Post
    ^^The one half to one acre lots in some cases are better than the alternative 3 acre lots. In some of the developments where the 1/2 to 1 acre lots are being created there is for more environmental reserve which preserves natural areas better that the alternative sized acreages. Acreage subdivisions can wipe out more farmland and natural ares faster than any of the new urban subdivisions could.
    That would be true if the fully serviced "estate" lots really were an alternative to the 3 acre lots. What deterred a lot of City folk from buying an acreage is not affordability, but rather the inconvenience of having to put in their own utilities (water, power, gas), and manage their own waste (septic tanks, garbage removal), as well as snow removal in the winter-time or grading their driveways the rest of the year.

The fully serviced estate lots are marketed as making "country living" possible for folks who may not be handy, or don't want to spend their time doing all the things the old style acreage owner had to contend with.

Comment

Well I think the only land that the city should look at annexing is all of refinery row, nisku and YEG.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

^from an economic perspective, I agree 100%. From a political perspective, I suspect its unlikely the Province would support.

Comment

...in 2003...at a certain airport session at the museum...a representative from CofL #25's council made the bold statement that they didn't care about YEG...wouldn't care if it was annexed as it only made them some $300K a year...until someone said OK...then the "gubbah gubbah" turkey sounds came out as the backtracking began...

CofL will NEVER let Nisku go...and in reality, Edmonton cannot pick and choose what it annexes after others have put the effort into developing the area. Also, I gather the CofL and the City of Leduc are aggressively moving to make more happen in the area...so unless Edmonton makes a bid for it all...it will receive none.

Yes...it is all or none....

...hence the birth of the "bourough" concept with the C2E focus group...addressed most of the issues, kept some autonomy, and had a framework for equitable representation within the metro...and also had a framework to prevent our neighbours from sprawling outward to further donut hole Edmonton.

Other than that, do not expect Edmonton to annex anyone...even YEG. Remember...like refinery row...we wanted these out of our city limits...

St Albert on the other hand is desperate to diversify its tax base...and has mainly rural land around it...Edmonton is surrounded except the NE corner and small portions of the SW...
          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

^^The one half to one acre lots in some cases are better than the alternative 3 acre lots.
            Yes, but they're both a terrible waste of space.

In some of the developments where the 1/2 to 1 acre lots are being created there is for more environmental reserve which preserves natural areas better that the alternative sized acreages.
            If you want to preserve natural areas then don't develop them at all. Build the houses on city sized lots and make the rest a park.

Acreage subdivisions can wipe out more farmland and natural ares faster than any of the new urban subdivisions could.
            Agreed. 10x as fast is almost as bad as 30x as fast.

Comment

edp:

Why is Edmonton providing services for the homeless, mentally ill, addictions and health? Stepping into do things that other levels of government should be responsible for is not helping Edmonton (or any other municipality) in being able to do what a municipality should be doing. That is voluntarily downloading responsibilities from the provincial government.

Strathcona County does pay for a transit system, libraries, parks, policing, fire department and other services that sometimes people from Edmonton also use.

IMO having well maintained boulevards that are free of litter is a positive thing that would enhance the City of Edmonton and give a more positive impression and make people feel better about where they live. I think it should be a higher priority of the city.
              Why shouldn't cities be providing these services? I'd suggest that the problem isn't that the city is doing the province's job, but that the province isn't paying for it by giving cities a share of tax and resource royalty revenue.

If you like the sherwood park / Strathcona County model of a single government for a combined urban and rural area, perhaps it should be applied to the entire region - amalgamate Strathcona, Sturgeon, Leduc and Parkland counties (and all of the cities and towns within) into a single municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                Why shouldn't cities be providing these services? I'd suggest that the problem isn't that the city is doing the province's job, but that the province isn't paying for it by giving cities a share of tax and resource royalty revenue.
                It is not the cities expertise though. We have a Province that is elected to provide health care and welfare. They have whole bureacracies built up to support these services. It doesn't make sense for COE to recreate that. It does make sense for COE to demand that the Province step up, rather than wasting money to bail the province out of its responsibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                  (...) amalgamate Strathcona, Sturgeon, Leduc and Parkland counties (and all of the cities and towns within) into a single municipality.
                  See burough concept...

We were told that the set-up was ahead of its time when this was presented...and then questions on "duplication of administration jobs and how we would handle it" came up...um....BINGO! The main reason why amalgamations fail became apparent, again...
                  President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Doppelganger View Post
                    Perhaps St. Albert should consider annexing Edmonton ....
                    I live in St. Albert. Yes, the property taxes are high, but I wouldn't consider them "super high". And for those taxes we get pretty decent quality of life - lots of leafy boulevards, biking and jogging trails, prompt snow removal from residential streets, and a remarkable lack of potholes and crumbling sidewalks. All of that has got to be worth something (cue the MasterCard commercial).
                    right on bro....and i personally moved out here because i DIDN'T want to be in Edmonton itself and i have no desire to become part of it again!
                    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                      ...hence the birth of the "bourough" concept with the C2E focus group...addressed most of the issues, kept some autonomy, and had a framework for equitable representation within the metro...and also had a framework to prevent our neighbours from sprawling outward to further donut hole Edmonton.
                      Please elaborate. Is this like a London (UK) or Montreal borough that has a seperate local council? I've often thought we should have those. I'm very interested in this proposal.
                      Change the incentives and our car-dependant city can change too.

Comment

Originally posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
                        I live in St. Albert. Yes, the property taxes are high, but I wouldn't consider them "super high". And for those taxes we get pretty decent quality of life - lots of leafy boulevards, biking and jogging trails, prompt snow removal from residential streets, and a remarkable lack of potholes and crumbling sidewalks. All of that has got to be worth something (cue the MasterCard commercial).
                        right on bro....and i personally moved out here because i DIDN'T want to be in Edmonton itself and i have no desire to become part of it again!
                        If you enter Edmonton in any way you are part of Edmonton. Sorry to dissappoint you, St.Albert pretty much is part of Edmonton now, and the same goes for all surrounding communities. If there was an hour drive that separates Edmonton from the communities, then i could see your point.
                        " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Originally posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
                          Yes, you have the right to live wherever you choose, and whatever suits you best, but when you and the gentleman you quoted spout such nonsense it just shows you to be the parasites you are. If you really believe what you wrote then feel free to stop using Edmonton's roads, park facilities, entertainment/sports venues, educational institutions, health care facilities and hundreds of other cultural facilities you benefit from but do not pay for.
                          Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Comment

X 2 bulliver.

As mentioned all surrounding communities is literally connected to Edmonton, so in essence, they are already Edmontonians. Bring a foreigner in here, and tell me if they can differentiate the two...not!
                            " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

A massive new Costco is opening on Hwy 2 on the newly annexed land.
                              Hwy 2 also has 2 new set of traffic lights. Yay.
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Costco opens Oct 24th.
                                Phase 2 of Ray Gibbons drive is set to open this fall but only up to Villeneuve road. We really need the GOA to step up and do this by-pass right. It is now being paid for by St Albert.

Comment

Working...
                                X