No announcement yet.

Region must pull together to become a global player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to contain that scallywag Mandel is to get the rest of the sharks, on your side
    FEEDING FRENZY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD
      Here's my prediction.

. These plans are to be reviewed and approved by the Province.
      That takes care of planning...sounds like the pre-West days. However, that is 1 of the outstanding issues out of the way. Do you have predictions on the rest?
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Message to Mandel: Come back to Regional Forum

Message to Mandel: come back to talks Reps want city back in regional forum

By AJAY BHARDWAJ, SUN MEDIA
        Wed, February 14, 2007

Local politicians from surrounding areas called on Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel to return to a regional forum designed to foster co-operation between municipalities.

"We're asking Edmonton to come back," St. Albert Mayor Paul Chalifoux told the Edmonton Sun's editorial board yesterday.

"We can't drag 'em."

Edmonton was formerly a member of the Alberta Capital Region Alliance - which aims to address co-operative regional growth - but the city pulled out over claims ACRA had stagnated.

"The power to fix it is within us," Chalifoux said. "We all have to be willing to sit down and talk."

Strathcona County Mayor Cathy Olesen chastised Mandel for being impatient with ACRA or at least not fully participating.

"He never once sat through an entire meeting," she said.

But while Chalifoux, Olesen, Morinville Mayor Lloyd Bertschi and Sturgeon County Mayor Helmut Hinteregger, called for regional co-operation - they added they're not prepared to have a planning commission foisted upon them.

"We don't need the hierarchy that we had 11 years ago," said Hinteregger, referring to the Edmonton Regional Planning Commission. He added the commission interfered too much with the autonomy of different municipalities.

Bertschi alluded to dozens of agreements between municipalities to co-operate, including on water, road and sewer issues.

Mandel shrugged off the criticism and said there are no plans to rejoin ACRA.

"Our council voted to come out of ACRA, so I can't speak more than that," he said.

When asked if he's surprised other regional mayors are still critical of Edmonton's decision, Mandel replied "no."

--30--

Comment

djgirl: I can't believe you missed this one, Ms. newspaper copy-and-paster! :P

Business wants province to referee region
          Regional planning more important than borders
          Paul Marck, The Edmonton Journal
          Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2007

EDMONTON - The business community in and around Greater Edmonton wants to boldly go where no one has gone before -- forcing municipalities to co-operate on regional planning.

Ten area chambers of commerce have teamed up to collaborate on policy over regional issues, and brought forward recommendations on how the region can best work together to meet the challenges faced by municipalities and take advantage of opportunities presented by unprecedented economic growth.

"We think it's very appropriate business to take a leadership role on this issue," Greg Christenson, chairman of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, said at a news conference Tuesday. "This issue has been analyzed, and discussed and debated."

The chambers want the province to mandate some form of regional planning co-operation.

"I believe the province will have to dictate, by degrees, to bring everybody together with their different partisan viewpoints," said Christenson. "What we're saying is that business steps aside from those partisan viewpoints and looks at the long-term economic opportunity."

The chamber's response follows months of feuding by area mayors and municipalities on regional co-operation and moves by some to quit the 23-member Alberta Capital Region Alliance.

Edmonton left the group months ago, advocating creation of a new and more effective body.

Then in January, after a consultant's report on a new political council, a number of regional politicians, including those from Strathcona, Sturgeon, Leduc, Parkland and Fort Saskatchewan, walked out of a meeting to discuss alternatives.

The municipal cat-calling heated up in recent months, after plans were announced for a series of up to 12 bitumen upgraders, worth as much as $30 billion, for rural areas north of Edmonton.

Christenson said business has a different view of regional development than do municipalities. Without regional co-operation, area municipalities risk losing new business opportunities to other areas.

"I think business looks at it as a region. It's not a series of boundaries and municipalities."

A joint report from the chambers details principles of co-operation, partnership and vision, while advocating a regional planning model that includes representation from local governments and business leaders alike.

For instance, more local services could be shared, especially in provision of infrastructure. The group cites Capital Health as a region-wide organization that works well with pooled resources and delivery of services.

The next step for the chambers is to meet with Municipal Affairs Minister Ray Danyluk to propose a model of process and governance, without turning to an additional layer of government.

Christenson said the province seems receptive to the chamber group's overtures.

A number of government reports have advocated a better regional planning model for big cities such as Edmonton and Calgary, but nothing has ever been acted on, Christenson said.

Other area business boosters at the news conference reflected those views.

"Business people have a little different focus," said Lynda Moffat, executive director of the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce. "We try to indicate that we understand the stresses put on the individual municipalities. We don't want to see any loss of independence of people who are party to this region."

For instance, many chamber members in adjoining municipalities do business with each other, without regard to civic boundaries. "It's important to stress to have the business voice heard as we move forward in our region, because of the nature of the economic boom that's taking place here right now," Moffat said.

Mike Roppelt, president of the Sherwood Park Chamber of Commerce, said businesses are persistent about overcoming problems.

The Greater Edmonton Regional Chambers of Commerce members include: Devon and district; Edmonton; Fort Saskatchewan; Leduc and district; Legal and district; Morinville and district; St. Albert; Sherwood Park and district; Spruce Grove and district; and Stony Plain and district.

[email protected]
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
            djgirl: I can't believe you missed this one, Ms. newspaper copy-and-paster! :P
            Hey, I saw it I just did not grab it (copy and paste!).

Today is Valentine's Day you know and I "had" to do something special for and with my sweetie. (You have to get up really, really early to beat me but you can try!)

Comment

I copy and paste news articles from time to time as well.
              Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Well, keep 'em coming.

Back on topic: it's nice to see the Greater Edmonton Regional Chambers of Commerce uniting as one. Let's see them working together more to really sell the metro area as a whole.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                  Well, keep 'em coming.

Back on topic: it's nice to see the Greater Edmonton Regional Chambers of Commerce uniting as one. Let's see them working together more to really sell the metro area as a whole.
                  Yup!

Comment

it's been almost 8 years.. has anything changed in the way we as a region compete globally?
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                    X