• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Region municipalities enter new era

http://www.gov.ab.ca/acn/201003/2796...854AA4B38.html

March 11, 2010
    Capital Region municipalities enter new era

Edmonton... Premier Ed Stelmach congratulated the Capital Region Board for its outstanding work in developing a historic long-term growth plan that the Government of Alberta has now formally accepted.

“These municipalities saw that a strategic plan would help guide the region through growth and now Albertans can look forward to the results,” said Premier Stelmach. “I expect the Capital Region will become known in Canada for smart development, planned growth, and a greener, more co-ordinated approach to land use.”
    Premier Stelmach initiated this process in order to create a long-range planning approach that will lead to a stronger region that collaborates more effectively to capitalize on current and future economic opportunities. The Capital Region Board was officially established by the province on April 15, 2008 and consists of mayors and reeves from the 25 municipalities in the Alberta Capital Region.
    "The Premier's support of this planning process, from the beginning, has been instrumental in its success," said Chris Sheard, CRB Interim Chair. "I know the Premier shares our common goal of a strong and vibrant Capital Region, and the growth plan demonstrates how that can be achieved."
    The province has now approved the growth plan after undertaking a cross-ministry review. The growth plan for the Capital Region, which expects an influx of about 600,000 new residents over the next 40 years, will manage the impacts of development on land, water and air; promote the efficient use of land; and look at conservation and stewardship on private and public lands.
    “Having Alberta’s municipalities work together is essential to the success of our province, and I believe this is a better plan because of the involvement of all municipalities in the metro area,” said Alberta Municipal Affairs Minister Hector Goudreau. “In forming this partnership, the Capital Region municipalities will create long-term benefits for all their residents - by eliminating duplication, planning for essential infrastructure and attracting investment.”
    The Board’s priorities were to create a long-range plan that contained four mandatory elements: a regional land-use plan, a plan for regional transit, a regional geographic information system, and a strategic plan for social and market-affordable housing. The entire growth plan can be viewed and downloaded at:
    http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/ The members of the Capital Region Board are:
    • the cities of Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, Spruce Grove and St. Albert;
    • the counties of Lamont, Leduc, Parkland, Strathcona and Sturgeon;
    • the towns of Beaumont, Bon Accord, Bruderheim, Calmar, Devon, Gibbons, Lamont, Legal, Morinville, Redwater and Stony Plain; and
    • the villages of New Sarepta, Thorsby, Wabamun and Warburg.

The Government of Alberta has a clear plan for a strong economic recovery. The Way Forward will bring Alberta back into a surplus position in three years by trimming government spending; using cash reserves to protect key programs; continuing to invest in public infrastructure; and ensuring that our province's industries are competitive and continue to attract investment to provide jobs and prosperity.
    -30-
    Media inquiries may be directed to:
    Donna Babchishin, Communications
    Municipal Affairs
    780-427-8862
    To call toll free within Alberta dial 310-0000.
    March 11, 2010 Capital Region municipalities enter new era
    The Capital Region Growth Plan (CRGP), initiated by Premier Ed Stelmach in April 2008, promotes the public interest by ensuring the region becomes an even more attractive dynamic economic centre as growth intensifies, to the mutual benefit of citizens, industry and government, noted Stelmach.
    The CRGP was provided to the Government of Alberta in three parts: the initial submission in March 2009 and two subsequent submissions to address additional recommendations put forth by government. One addendum was released in October 2009 and the other in December 2009. The growth plan and its addenda address:
    • A Brief History of the Capital Region Board (CRB) and the Process of Developing the Plan;
    • Vision and Shared Understandings;
    • The Consultation Process;
    • Growth Forecast;
    • Land Use Plan;
    • Intermunicipal Transit Network Plan;
    • Regional Transit Cost Allocation Formula
    • Geographic Information Services Plan;
    • Housing Plan;
    • Implementation of the Growth Plan;
    • Governance and the Future of the CRB;
    • Regional Evaluation Framework
    • Stakeholder Engagement;
    • Population and Employment Projections Report; and
    • Capital Region Cost Allocation Formula Report.

-30-
    Media inquiries may be directed to:
    Donna Babchishin, Communications
    Municipal Affairs
    780-427-8862
    To call toll free within Alberta dial 310-0000.
    Last edited by Medwards; 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I await the first real test with bated breath...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Well Richard the agreement would not be worth the paper it was written on if it did not step on someone's toes.
      “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I wish that st albert and sherwoood park join Edmonton as one city
        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
          me too
          The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
          It's heaven and hell!

Comment

^why? So our Council woud be even more concerned about the suburbs, and less about the inner city? Our city is too spread out to manage properly, and pay proper attention to the 107 mature neighborhoods we already have, as it is. You only have to look at how Calgary is endlessly sprawling to realize we can do better with a different model.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
              me too
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                ^why? So our Council woud be even more concerned about the suburbs, and less about the inner city? Our city is too spread out to manage properly, and pay proper attention to the 107 mature neighborhoods we already have, as it is. You only have to look at how Calgary is endlessly sprawling to realize we can do better with a different model.
                1. Having more direct control over regional planning (thus more ability and clout to curb sprawl)
                2. Tax revenues from the massive industrial areas of Refinery Row and the Industrial Heartland
                3. Throw Leduc into the mix and maybe we'll finally see an end to the quips about the "Leduc International Airport"
                Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Capital Region municipalities enter new era

^Annexing land to get tax revenue from business might be smart, but annexing residential suburbs is just going to shift priorities even further away from the core, as those taxpayers demand yet more facilities on the edge. The more suburban our city gets be it from new edge neighborhoods or annexation, the less likely there will ever be meaningful change.

I was interested to read that Detroit is actually considering converting the inner city to farmland, that is how bad it has got there. Would be an improvement over the Quarters in present state I guess.

Comment

I moved all the Edmonton versus Detroit stuff here.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=16342

Keep this focused on the deal we all face.
                    Ow

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco View Post
                      Well Richard the agreement would not be worth the paper it was written on if it did not step on someone's toes.

Agreed...but like I said...I await the first real test...then we'll see the real value of this paper...or if it is a tiger with forgotten dentures...
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

The new mayors of Parkland County, Fort Saskatchewan and Strathcona County seem quite keen on Capital Region co-operation:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...818/story.html
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                        X