• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Province Accepts Capital Region Boards Cost Allocation formula

Presss release by Gov't of Alberta dated Dec 15/2008

"Province accepts Capital Region Board's cost allocation formula

Board on track to deliver Capital Region Growth Plan by March 31

Edmonton... The Alberta government has accepted a cost allocation formula for the Capital Region Board. Once the Capital Region Growth Plan is in place next spring, the formula will apply to the municipal share of costs for projects designated by the Board as regional in nature. The formula was developed and endorsed by the Board.

“Having a coordinated, long-term plan is vital for the economic prosperity of the Capital Region, and for the quality of life of all residents,” said Alberta Municipal Affairs Minister Ray Danyluk. “We need a strong, unified group of municipalities working together to plan for the region’s land use, infrastructure and service needs, and to deal with growth now and in the future.”

Under the Capital Region Board’s cost allocation formula, each municipality will contribute a small core fee. The remainder of the costs will be allocated in proportion to each municipality’s population and total equalized assessment.

“Developing the formula is a good indication the Board is on track to deliver a Capital Region Growth Plan by March 31,” added Danyluk. “It is very encouraging that Board members were successfully able to work together and develop their own cost allocation model to recommend to the province. This formula ensures fairness and affordability for all member municipalities, regardless of size.”

The formula will apply to all projects that the Board determines are regional in nature, including: the development of a regional land use plan; a geographical information system; the development of plans for transit and affordable housing; and specific regional projects that may emerge from the Capital Region Growth Plan. As its work progresses, the Capital Region Board will be expected to develop a formula that would apply to the operating and capital costs for a regional transit system.

The Board’s cost allocation formula will apply as follows:

The core fee will consist of 10 per cent of the total project cost divided by the number of municipalities, or one percent of the smallest annual municipal operating budget (whichever is less).
    Cumulative core fees for projects in any given year must not exceed two per cent of the operating expenses of the smallest member municipality.
    The remainder of project costs will be shared by the municipalities in a weighted allocation based 50 per cent on their population and 50 per cent on their equalized assessment.

The Capital Region Board recommended that the formula be used to fund:

the development of a regional land use plan;
    a geographical information system;
    the development of plans for transit and affordable housing; and
    specific regional projects that may emerge from the Capital Region Growth Plan.

As its work progresses, the Capital Region Board will be expected to develop a formula that would apply to the operating and capital costs for a regional transit system. "

I'm intrigued by that last line.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Geez I missed that. Nice catch RTA

Could this be the start of GET (Greater Edmonton Transit). Now that would be a big change.
      My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

"We can GET you there"

I can see the Logo already.

Comment

Although ETS has a hundred years of history on it's side, GET seems like a marketers dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
            "We can GET you there"

I can see the Logo already.
            or GET out of here

but a lot better then that is GET out of the house and GET out of the car

Comment

Perhaps this is the way Edmonton will move into the forefront of LRT expansion... if the suburbs drive demand for LRT lines then they'll have to go through Edmonton's neighbourhoods to get to downtown, the U of A and WEM, meaning we all benefit, and we all split the cost!

Comment

I agree Escondido, for LRT to work, surburban communities have to support the construction of LRT. It should be interesting to see the other LRT studies (NW, South, East city limits) as they come available.

http://www.edmonton.ca/lrt-projects.aspx
                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Another thing I'll say about regional transit, I think that for it to work, it should focus on the transit centres and LRT stations, and offer it at 15 minute (or less frequencies).
                  "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Working...
                  X