X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanO View Post
    ^all good, but particular to Ward 6?
    That candidates (as well as residents) remember that just because ward 6 is the center of the city doesn't mean it's also the center of the universe.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

^I wish people treated the core like the centre of the universe. But sadly it's not given it's due credit most of the time.
      www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Originally posted by IanO View Post
        ^all good, but particular to Ward 6?
        That candidates (as well as residents) remember that just because ward 6 is the center of the city doesn't mean it's also the center of the universe.
        I made the same mistake before realizing that this topic is in the Ward 6 forum, so it's appropriate to focus on Ward 6 only.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
          ^I wish people treated the core like the centre of the universe. But sadly it's not given it's due credit most of the time.
          For most people it's not. And rightly so.

You seem to like being the centre of attention though.
          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
            Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
            For most people it's not. And rightly so.

You seem to like being the centre of attention though.
            That's uncalled for.
            www.decl.org

Comment

Expanding the DT plans to cover Oliver and all of Jasper Ave.

more infrastructure refurbishment outside the DT CRL's
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

We are already 10 months into the 36 month social agency moratorium on vulnerable communities in the inner city - more pressure to redistribute these agencies on the shoulders of all Edmonton neighborhoods - not just our ward.

Fleecing of our ward to distribute tax dollars to remote suburbs is a big pet peeve. Cancelling the Arena doesn't solve the crumbling infrastructure emergency - getting a handle on unaffordable and unsustainable sprawl does.

More police presence in our neighborhoods - much of our ward is struggling to revitalize and attract families back into it.

Comment

I want to reinforce the importance of police presence. When I lived there, there was a campaign of a couple of months or so duration where a police car would slowly go up and down the various back alleyways at night. Not that often and pretty peacefully as near as I could tell. But for that time, all the little irritants like people gathering together to scream threats at each other in the wee hours stopped like magic.

The "lullabies" resumed once the police presence stopped.

Eve

Comment

Scott had a few blog posts related to some of the issues you raise

http://www.scottmckeen.ca/blog
                    www.decl.org

Comment

Sitting here on the North Edge of downtown,
                      The issues are as diverse as Ward 6 itself.

1) Zoning issue: The allowance of subdividing 50 ft lots into 25ft ones to increase density here is one of concern. We already have far more walkup apartments here than most other neighbourhoods per capita. Our family housing stock is on its last legs.

2) Parking. Parking north of downtown is particularly difficult with both McEwan and Royal Alex.

3) Police and bylaw enforcement. We have a full compliment of police here for the first time in years.. Full meaning 4 beats and a CLC. Policing is a city wide issue, and it needs to be funded as such, so that the police can do a more effective job everywhere. Bylaw has been horribly understaffed for years. Officers are overworked, and over stressed without the resources to effectively handle situations as they happen.

4) infrastructure and walkability. Our sidewalks are in ridiculous shape. We are faced with heaving, cracking, very few curb cuts, and some places where none exist at all. Women with strollers struggle, people who use mobility aids struggle, along with everyone else. It has gone beyond inconvenience, and has become dangerous.

There are many more.. But that is enough for now.. Lol

Comment

1. which is why 50 into 25 work very well at pushing new single family housing stock.

2. Agreed and I wish the city would begin to use community/resident parking pass systems similar to the UofA areas.

3. Bang on. Great to see more beat, we want even more. Bylaw officers are few and far between and need far more resources from the City.

4. Thankfully our neighbourhood rehabilitation program is truly exceptional and will transform aging areas over the next few years.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...d-renewal.aspx

I encourage you to speak with Scott McKeen about these issues and pass on your concerns.

http://www.scottmckeen.ca

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                        X