X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARD 6 - What are the big issues?

Open discussion about the issues.

For me:

Reestablishing the core of our city as the core of our city.

Operations and maintenance priorities/alignment

Ensuring we continue pushing LRT and multiuse trail expansion to establish/foster a different way of getting around.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Edmonton has no problem getting blue collar workers, academic personnel and medical professionals here...but what about attracting and retaining head offices? Or attracting and retaining white collar professionals? Creative people? Immigrants?

How to market Edmonton to corporations, professionals, students, consulates and tourists.

How to make the municipal government run more efficiently.

Taxes, user fees, and other funding sources.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^all good, but particular to Ward 6?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Possibly, since Ward 6 contains the downtown core.

For me the issues have more to do with continuing to strengthen our central neighbourhoods. So keeping schools open so families continue to move to the Ward, continued expansion of the LRT, improved road maintenance, support for projects like the Coronation District Park Development, etc.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

EDIT: I would like to see some action plan to distribute the social housing/services from McCauley/Boyle around to the rest of the ward and/or city. Concentration of these services has detrimentally impacted those neighborhoods, and although I understand the logistical benefits, I think the social costs have far exceeded those benefits.
          Last edited by bolo; 29-05-2013, 03:26 PM. Reason: oops, didn't realize this was for ward 6 issues

Comment

- significant investment in infrastructure - parks, trees, streetscape maintenance, etc.

- LRT expansion and associated multi-use trail corridor - dedicated bike lanes

- continuation of Great Neighbourhoods program for neighbourhood renewal

- improving the pedestrian realm - expanded sidewalks and high quality materials for designated pedestrian streets.

- strengthening connections - pedestrian, bike trails, etc. Connections from one neighbourhood to the next.

- encouraging appropriate density and urban form - ie. outward-facing retail development that engages the street. Appropriate infill opportunities that enhance neighbourhoods.

- arts & cultural focus - supporting arts and cultural activities, institutions, and festivals in the core.

- downtown - recognition as the 'heart of our city' and supporting the implementation of the Capital City Downtown Plan catalyst projects.

- education - recognition as the core continues to grow as a place of education and the growth of the student population.

- improving consultation - with communities on development and transportation issues.
            Last edited by GreenSPACE; 29-05-2013, 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
            www.decl.org

Comment

1. Transit
              2. More development in central (not just DT) Edmonton
              3. Community- and/or street- policing

I would be happy with these 3 but a few more festivals won't hurt either !

Comment

I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrancy, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
                What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
                What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
                What is broken and how will you fix it?
                Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
                Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?
                Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 30-05-2013, 10:55 PM.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It's never too early to talk about an LRT line to EIA.
                  Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                    It's never too early to talk about an LRT line to EIA.
                    Exactly. Especially seeing as the City has already planned the future South LRT extension down to the Heritage Valley Town Centre (and from the looks of the diagram, further south).

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...geValleyTC.pdf
                    Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

Infrastructure priorities, infrastructure beautification
                      Encouraging innovation (patios anyone?)
                      Big cities charter
                      Marketing Edmonton, we should be doing so much better ...
                      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Street Cleaning of downtown streets and sidewalks.

Comment

Construction hoarding in Edmonton’s downtown is a disaster
                          By Mack D. Male

Comment

Whatever happened to "no more crap?"

e.g. Molson/Crosstown power mall recommended for approval:
                            http://www.olivercommunity.com/molson_call_to_action

Comment

Getting a grip on sprawl.
                              Getting satellite areas to chip in their fair share.
                              Getting the LRT expanded.
                              Keeping up the momentum.
                              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Working...
                              X