This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Public knowledge is there for those who seek it. For those that don't and expect to be spoon fed, expect what ever you can get from tabloid headlines and newspaper that are looking to earn a dollar, rather than reporting the news properly...

Hate when people play the it wasn't in the news or newspaper so I haven't a clue...

That said "public information" and "what the public knows" from conventional sources (newspaper notices etc.) are (2) different things.
    public consoultations, Bylaw and zoning are all to have public notices to both reach the public and keep them informed.

Which is why I watch for them in the papers as part of my daily routine, as do many others.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
      If you look west of St Albert Trail, light industrial is sprawling at an incredible rate and every single plot of land has a "sold" or "coming soon" sign with more industrial sprawl on it. This is the single largest industrial expansion occurring in Edmonton right now.

Look no further than Albany for the latest retail/power center node. Skyview isn't even fully built/leased yet. Oxford has a bunch of new mixed-use retail/professional going up. Griesbach's mixed use commercial sector barely has roads in, let alone the hundreds of jobs that will be there. The new Remand center is in Ward 2.

While not directly in ward 2, Namao is a massive mixed use center as well that likely employs hundreds if not thousands of ward 2 residents. Same with the big commercial center at Northgate/Town.

Ward 2 has, in my opinion, the best new employment prospects in the city. As I stated before, what ward 2 lacks is residential density, not employment options. I'd argue a significant majority of the employers in the ward have employees that don't live in the ward commuting in due to a lack of residential density.
      Chmilz

Look no further than Albany for the latest retail/power center node. Skyview isn't even fully built/leased yet. Oxford has a bunch of new mixed-use retail/professional going up.
      Retail...

Namao is a massive mixed use center as well that likely employs hundreds if not thousands of ward 2 residents. Same with the big commercial center at Northgate/Town.
      Retail...

I'd argue a significant majority of the employers in the ward have employees that don't live in the ward commuting in due to a lack of residential density.
      On the retail side I would agree from those I know in the retail sector on 137ave.

But the need to reverse the trend of all those Trades and technologies that are commuting out of Ward is my concern and that brings me right back to my point of asking the Candidates.

Comment

Thomas you clearly don't spend enough time away from the airport lol.

Namao's latest phases are all multi-story mixed use commercial - not just retail. Oxford is currently constructing some big mixed-use buildings, again with base with other commercial above. Albany is slated to have non-retail mixed use commercial space as well.

Skyview is definitely geared towards retail, but there are non-retail commercial buildings hidden around and within, though not as prominently as in newer mixed-use areas. White Oaks (which I generally include in Skyview), is an existing yet dated example of mixed-use in that area.

Look at Ellerslie for examples of non-retail commercial mixed use. We're getting a lot of that up here, and it's happening fast.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Cmilz
          Thomas you clearly don't spend enough time away from the airport lol.
          Well my wife, kids and most of my friends would agree but it's what it takes to make the place I work survive.

Namao's latest phases are all multi-story mixed use commercial - not just retail.
          Not gonna comment on Namao
          1) It's not Ward 2
          2) Haven't driven by there in about a month.

That said I just spent about an hour driving the West sector of Ward 2 to see if maybe I was misreading things.

I do not believe I was.

From St Albert Trail to 170th and North from 125 ave to 137ave...little has changed up to 142/156 and out to 135ave.

Yes there is some lots sold and some dirt moving in that section out to 137ave, but that seems more than offset but the vacancies in the southern area up to 125ave.

As far as St. Albert Trail to 142str (+/-) North I see some dirt moving but not much else.

So retail certainly looks to be king in a big way.

Which takes me right back to my original concerns and question to the candidates.

Residential has cut a wide swath from right about 155ave North to the Henday and out to right about 113street ish to the St. Albert Trail and the St. Albert boundary with the Walmart power centre being pretty much the only business pocket.

Over the last 5 years residential has exploded and is now pushing right against the Henday virtually everywhere in Ward 2.

While mostly SFD as you over to the North West there are some extended areas of MFD and such...residential is doing just peachy.

White Oaks
          Um...have you noticed the vast majority of the mixed use is vacant?

Comment

What else more do you want to hear from candidates when there are hundreds of acres of land in Ward 2 planned, zoned and developing for industrial, commercial and retail uses???? I really don't know what you are trying to get at???

Comment

Namao center is certainly within ward 2 isn't it?
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                What else more do you want to hear from candidates when there are hundreds of acres of land in Ward 2 planned, zoned and developing for industrial, commercial and retail uses???? I really don't know what you are trying to get at???
                I want to know what kind of industry they feel we need in the Ward and why?
                What benefits they expect to see from attracting the types of business?

What is their plan for working with Civic administration and EEDC to attract those kinds of businesses?

Do they have a position on helping grow local concerns or is there mindset to draw companies from other locations? Or a mix of both?

What kind of attractors do they see being used to bring them in?

And similar.

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 17-06-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

No it is Ward 3 (IIRC), East side of 97 street.

IN my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

Nope. The eastern boundary up to 153 Avenue is 97th street. North of 153 Avenue the boundary is 127th street.

Comment

Isn't NAIT in Ward 2, and doesn't it have plans to expand west onto airport lands? Wouldn't that qualify as a growing employment node? Also, I'm not sure I fully understand why retail growth isn't being considered. If commute times are really the issue, then wouldn't retail densification be a positive thing?

Comment

I think the concern of retail versus commercial/light industrial/office work has to do with income levels. The kind of income levels required to raise a family, purchase a home, or even rent a nice property are difficult to maintain retail wages, which are at or near minimum wage. You need skilled labour, be it in the trades, IT, office work, etc, to have the spare income to contribute to a regions economy on more then a subsistence level; without these jobs in an area, people have to commute to work, which increases traffic, and also leads people to thinking about moving away from the community towards an area closer to their work.

Expanding retail is great for consumer choice, and and can be used for providing supplementary income for a household, but as the sole source of income for a household, it leaves a great deal to be desired. Providing commercial/light industrial/office work in a neighbourhood strengthens a community and lowers traffic/environmental impact, so it definitely has a place in city planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
                          Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                          I want to know what kind of industry they feel we need in the Ward and why?
                          What benefits they expect to see from attracting the types of business?

What is their plan for working with Civic administration and EEDC to attract those kinds of businesses?

Do they have a position on helping grow local concerns or is there mindset to draw companies from other locations? Or a mix of both?

What kind of attractors do they see being used to bring them in?

And similar.

I would say these questions are something that affect the City as a whole. It's not just about creating boundaries around wards. The City works as a 'whole'.

Comment

Chris D
                            I would say these questions are something that affect the City as a whole. It's not just about creating boundaries around wards. The City works as a 'whole'.
                            I wouldn't argue that as a broad brush statement, but it is also about what the people who choose to run to be our elected representatives are going to do about it in each of our areas, letting them know there are expectations of delivery and there are unique circumstances in each Ward. (would it be appropriate to set up an abattoir DT?)

As this is the Ward 2 section I would hope the Ward 2 candidates would respond with their plan and vision.

If I was asking the same question of other Wards I would be expecting the answers to be somewhat different and if I was asking a Mayoralty candidate I would expect much less detailed and higher view answers.

But on this thread I am happy to hear from the candidates specifically on Ward 2.

Comment

Working...
                            X