This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward 2 Degradation of elementary schools

At a recent parent council meeting it was lamented (by administrative personnel) that several schools in the southern half of Ward 2 should be closed.

This came as a fair shock to some attending including me.

Some school enrollments took a hit 3-4 years ago when a considerable number of affordable rental town-homes were torn down as part of a promised redevelopment that never happened.

But even at that time residents and parent were complaining that the area was in midst of change and younger families were moving in, particularly Dunvegan area.

Since then the area has since extensive infill, the promised development has started taking baby steps forward and overall more elementary age children are moving into the area.

Our child's school is predicting growth in 2013-2014.

So why does there seem to be this disconnect between the apparent growth in school needs and these comments about needing to close some schools.

As an older area these schools are among the assets needed to see the area redevelop and attract the investment needed to make it happen.

So myself and others are wondering...whats going on?

In my highly biased personal opinion

Sorry to hear Tom. The frustrating disconnect between city and school boards mandates continues. When we were living in Westmount, same thing with Westglen Elementary. It took a strong and coordinated effort from the community group to keep the school open. Now the school is bursting at the seams and from what I understand, the kindergarten influx will be over capacity.

Comment

Thanks Glasshead

Appreciate the advice...if it goes past just talk you can bet there will be push back.

But more important in the context of this forum.

What are the candidates going to do the improve this disconnection?

Comment

I think council need to work more closely with the Public/Catholic School Boards. Or P/C S.B's. need to work more closely with council. It is a recurring theme that the C of E tries to revitalize an area only to learn the school board(s) are in the mist of closing schools down. It's a vicious circle. The city and the boards never seem to be in sync with each other. That should be addressed.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
          I think council need to work more closely with the Public/Catholic School Boards. Or P/C S.B's. need to work more closely with council. It is a recurring theme that the C of E tries to revitalize an area only to learn the school board(s) are in the mist of closing schools down. It's a vicious circle. The city and the boards never seem to be in sync with each other. That should be addressed.
          Agree!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
            As an older area these schools are among the assets needed to see the area redevelop and attract the investment needed to make it happen.

So myself and others are wondering...whats going on?
            It is a tradgedy of failed city planning when a mature neighborhood school fails. It destines that neighborhood to becoming a seniors zone, which you can see in parts of inner SE Edmonton where this mistake has been made.

The sad reality though is that a mature neghibourhood will never be able to compete as an affordable family destination to a brand new sprawl neighborhood with its new built (or to be built school). In the short term you can fight, specialized school programs can help. But until COE decides its time to recycle mature neighborhoods by saying no to more sprawl, or simply even enforcing its own growth plans (eg restricting permitts in accordance with its goals), its a losing battle longer term. Sadly of late COE is doing the opposite of what is needed (eg annexation to airport), I hope for new better leadership with a new mayor.
            Last edited by moahunter; 15-06-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I think that the existence of Rental town homes is an important part of a neighborhood when ensuring the inflow of young families into an area . Once established they tend to buy in the same area as the kids are already settled into the local school. Ideally a range of homes should be available within an area from starter to high end. All too often I see that we have one range in new developments while attractive when new it tends to fossilize over time as everyone ages out at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hull534 View Post
                I think that the existence of Rental town homes is an important part of a neighborhood when ensuring the inflow of young families into an area . Once established they tend to buy in the same area as the kids are already settled into the local school. Ideally a range of homes should be available within an area from starter to high end. All too often I see that we have one range in new developments while attractive when new it tends to fossilize over time as everyone ages out at the same time.
                Hull534

Don't get me wrong, my aggravation and that of others is that the dozens of rental homes torn down meant that the schools lost the children that had lived there and then were not replaced as the development stopped.

I agree a range of development is best for the reasons you state.

But tearing out family homes and then saying there is no demand for the school...nope that ain't right.

Comment

Working...
                X