X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's running in Ward 2?

Woman who paid for arena poll now running for council

Nita Jalkanen, the private citizen who paid $5,000 to get a public survey done on arena opinions in May, is now officially planning to run for council in Ward 2.

That’s the ward Coun. Kim Krushell will vacate when council breaks in September. Krushell announced she would not be running for re-election this week.

http://www.nitajalkanen.com/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

My rant from SSP:

Originally posted by Hallsy's Toupee
    Woman who paid for arena poll now running for council

Nita Jalkanen, the private citizen who paid $5,000 to get a public survey done on arena opinions in May, is now officially planning to run for council in Ward 2.

That’s the ward Coun. Kim Krushell will vacate when council breaks in September. Krushell announced she would not be running for re-election this week.

http://www.nitajalkanen.com/
    From her website:

Despite City Council knowing how we felt, a deal will be inked that will take on over $500 million of debt in our name, without our permission, and against our wishes. Enough said. For me, this is no longer about the arena funding model; it is about proper representation. What next? Read MY PLATFORM.
    *Sigh*

Permission?

Everyone who runs for office almost needs to take a civics class. Edmonton City Councillors were given permission to make decisions on behalf of the citizens of this city back in 2010 when they were elected. Yes, it is their job to listen to their constituents, but we also give them a certain amount of ability to exercise their free will and make decisions that may be unpopular to a large segment of voters. That's how contentious issues get settled. And guess what, if the voters are unhappy with a decision that their elected representative has made, then they are given the opportunity to remove that person from their position in the next election. That is how democracy works.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

^Bang on. If this is what is meant by "learning on the job" I'd rather candidates pay for their own class.
      The ideological Magic 8 Ball most people use when considering provincial/federal issues is utterly useless at the municipal level.

Comment

There will probably be two or three of these types running in this ward, and they'll lose to the one that has done their homework.
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

While you're working on that Civics class...

Edmonton City Councillors were given permission to make decisions on behalf of the citizens of this city back in 2010 when they were elected.
          Lets have a reality check.

Regardless of the level of government we elect individuals to REPRESENT us.
          Doesn't matter if it is a Ward, Riding, Constituency or whatever you want to call it.

It is the elected officials job to REPRESENT the views of those that elected them.

If they don't this is what you get...p*ssed off voters, and right now Edmonton has a huge number p*ssed off voters at almost every level of government.

All the surveys, polls, interviews and public consultations in the world do not do the people who elected you any good if you ignore them or hide them.

So this election you are going to see "accountability" to the voter becoming a key factor in the decision making process...like it or not.

Those in office who have engaged the people that voted for them and followed through are in pretty strong positions this time.

Those running on that policy have a pretty safe stand.

Those in office or running that have a track record of ignoring the voters...are at a disadvantage.

Politicians and bureaucrats, in many cases, have forgotten they work for the electorate and a large segment of the electorate is now angry.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

^I think you are bang on with your comments about a lot of the electorate being angry. Krushell knows this and if she had of ran again it would have been a nail biter of a finish. Most people who post on C2E want the arena build but sometimes I think they are oblivious to a large portion of the Edmonton population who are against it. They don't seem to grasp how big the opposition is and how divisive the arena is for city voters. They are underestimating the amount of Kerry Diotte supporters. The demographic of voters (50 an up) that did not want the arena built are the same demographic of voters that actually go out and vote. Kerry Diotte may have more of a chance than some people think. Krushell also stated she did take a lot of flack from people for her vote on the arena.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I think the voters in the 2010 election were far more divisive over the fate of the City Center Airport than they are this time over the arena.

That was an ugly, ugly election campaign. We had petitioners everywhere, the Wildrose party and Calgary businesses sticking their noses into things, and more. I bet things will feel far more civil this time.

Comment

I don't know Gemini. I'm sure Krushell bit her nails all the way to election day over the closing of the Muni -- but she still went for it. Perhaps I'm being optimistic but I think the one issue, faux-populism of a Diotte is generally defeated by those making difficult decisions, explained well, showing true leadership.
                I think the arena is going to be a big concrete box surrounded by acres of surface parking and will do far more harm than good to the downtown. But I still ain't voting for Diotte and I don't think I'm alone.

Comment

^ ^^It does seem more civil out there, I agree. I think the anti arena crowd are silently seething and waiting to get their own back.
                  Well ajs, you might be the exception and not the rule. Some people are looking at Diotte as the savior of the city's coffers.
                  Last edited by Gemini; 14-06-2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Gemini

For the most part I tend to agree with you.
                    They are underestimating the amount of Kerry Diotte supporters.
                    In my opinion is that much of that support comes from people believing that Kerry is listening to the voters and has made the effort to connect with the people in his Ward.

Others may think it's gimicky, but sure seems to have been effective.

The demographic of voters (50 an up) that did not want the arena built are the same demographic of voters that actually go out and vote.
                    Here we disagree on the demographic.

Speaking for my neighborhood there are a ton of 25-35 families that were opposed, partly because they don't feel they will ever be able to afford to go to the New Arena.

Partly because Ward 2 has seen no marked change in infrastructure ( guess how often I have heard "can't fix the roads around the school but we can build an arena" from young family types?).

Etc. Etc.

More than the 50+ were opposed which is why the polls and surveys read as they do.

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 14-06-2013, 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      I think the anti arena crowd are silently seething and waiting to get their own back.
                      How will they do that? Mandel isn't running, neither is Krushell. Can't vote against them when they aren't even running.

And Diotte stated that he isn't going to reverse the arena project, so voting for him doesn't do anti-arena people any good either.

Comment

Mr Oilers
                        I think the voters in the 2010 election were far more divisive over the fate of the City Center Airport than they are this time over the arena.
                        I think you are under estimating the compounded irritation caused by the Civic, Provincial and Federal Government.

We didn't have multiple protests over varied issues in 2010, people were not p*ssed enough, now we do.

The ECCA debate was a non issue to a huge segment of Edmonton and Ward 2 as they did not see how it affected them one way or another (which is why I don't buy the 2010 election was a vote on it), there were other issues like roads, schools etc. that were more pressing.

But now there are a bunch of issues int the Ward that are unresolved and the arena adds to the aggravation from what I see in my neighbors.

Different game this time.

ajs
                        explained well
                        Things have not been explained well on many topics, even our current Mayor has accepted that on the arena. So you have voters that do not believe they are being respected or heard and as a result are p*ssed.

They are going to support those they believe will actually listen to them.

20 years in my neighborhood, 30+ in Edmonton area and I am hearing more people calling for American style voting than ever before.

That tells me a lot, combine it with people protesting at the Leg than never would have considered it 3 years ago and you've got the picture of change in the works.

Remember too....most people consider all politicians regardless of level as simply politicians.

In my highly biased personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
                          Gemini

For the most part I tend to agree with you.
                          They are underestimating the amount of Kerry Diotte supporters.
                          In my opinion is that much of that support comes from people believing that Kerry is listening to the voters and has made the effort to connect with the people in his Ward.

Others may think it's gimicky, but sure seems to have been effective.

The demographic of voters (50 an up) that did not want the arena built are the same demographic of voters that actually go out and vote.
                          Here we disagree on the demographic.

Speaking for my neighborhood there are a ton of 25-35 families that were opposed, partly because they don't feel they will every be able to afford to go to the New Arena.

Partly because Ward 2 has seen no marked change in infrastructure ( guess how often I have heard "can't fix the roads around the school but we can build an arena" from young family types?).

Etc. Etc.

More than the 50+ were opposed which is why the polls and surveys read as they do.

If that's the case I should imagine anyone who runs in the ward who has similar views to Diotte will have a good chance of winning. On the other hand I hope there are more issues on the table in ward 2 other than just potholes.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                            Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                            I think the anti arena crowd are silently seething and waiting to get their own back.
                            How will they do that? Mandel isn't running, neither is Krushell. Can't vote against them when they aren't even running.

And Diotte stated that he isn't going to reverse the arena project, so voting for him doesn't do anti-arena people any good either.
                            Because I think a lot of people have already made up their minds they are voting for Diotte before they even see who else is running. It does not matter to them that Krushell or Mandel are not running.

Comment

Gemini
                              I hope there are more issues on the table in ward 2 other than just potholes.
                              Oh yes I think from the input of those around me there are many issues and a couple of hot buttons in this election.

Comment

Working...
                              X