X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatchford Field project

ADMIN EDIT

I broke this off the original Ward 2 thread.

END EDIT

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    If the development, investors and contractors are focused on Arena district what is going to happen to Blatchford?
    World's largest dandelion field.
    Last edited by Admin; 13-06-2013, 08:54 AM. Reason: created a distinct thread for this in Ward 2

Originally posted by Adam View Post
    World's largest dandelion field.
    Actually Adam that is what my neighbors are worried about.

The Arena area and developments HAS to be priority or the image, optic and financial issues are huge...that's just the way it is now the decisions are made.

BTW, I sure hope people understand just how important it is to make the Arena area and developments work.

I fear it (Blatchford) may have to be put on hold till those developments are well under way to completion, which creates different problems on the Blatchford site

Left vacant for any period problems mount:
    -Large vacant buildings attract problem elements
    (vandals, gang, criminal, other)
    -Liability from people using as an impromptu sports/party site (unauthorized)
    -Can't be left to go fallow as there are dandelion and other weed issues
    -Stuff can get dumped
    -Animal issues
    (feral domestic and other)
    etc. etc. etc.

And the costs don't stop and won't be covered from other sources:
    -Maintaining the vacant buildings, including limited heat/power/fire systems
    -Maintaining the grounds to keep weeds/animal population under control
    -Policing and security costs to deal with trespass/unauthorized use issues etc. etc. etc.

So if it has to be put on hold what is the back up plan?

Is there a back up plan?

In my highly biased personal opinion
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM. Reason: (Blatchford) added for clarity

Comment

People worry to much...

Comment

Batchford timelines - http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme.../timeline.aspx
        www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
          The Arena was not approved at the time the above timelines were issued.

Matter of fact it sound like there have been many changes to the plan I am hearing about but can't confirm...so I wait to see if they are real.

But it comes back to my comment...
          It's pretty obvious to most that the concentration on development is going to be on the arena and the DT CRL zone...regardless of your position on the Arena or the deal its done...but now it has to be made to work and the developments have to be courted and made to happen to make the CRL pay for the decision.

So whats that gonna mean for Blatchford?

There are only so many resources, so many builders and so much money.

If the development, investors and contractors are focused on Arena district what is going to happen to Blatchford?
          Things change, the arena with its greater risks, and potential reward, is going to be the prime priority.(or should be IMO)

Whats that mean to Blatchford?

Comment

^I just posted it for reference, of course they can change.

But because they have been published, you can ask candidates if they plan to respect those timelines. I would also ask if they plan to respect the vision created to this point, and some developers have looked to water it down a bit (allow single-family). That won't achieve our density targets, given the amount of land set aside for parks and garden.
            www.decl.org

Comment

But because they have been published, you can ask candidates if they plan to respect those timelines. I would also ask if they plan to respect the vision created to this point, and some developers have looked to water it down a bit (allow single-family). That won't achieve our density targets, given the amount of land set aside for parks and garden.
              Appreciate very much

But I think you see the concern and yes I will asking candidates

Comment

...from what I gather...prepare for a severe watering down...a deluge so to speak

...however, some would argue, "prepare for a project grounded in reality and the ability to deliver vs a land governed by pink unicorns"...

..lin the eye of the beholder indeed.
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

^Not severe, there is time to ensure it gets done properly. Mandel urging builders to get on side. No reason to cater to developers wishes, the City is on the right course.

That said, there are some requests for market studies to be done. I know the City is very keen to ensure what they promise to develop can actually be done by builders.

There is no reason to 'water' down a good plan because of a few negative nancy builder types. We all know they only want the lowest common denominator. That's not what this project is about. And it won't achieve the density targets required if they get their way. It can definitely be a win-win for both sides.
                  www.decl.org

Comment

...who said anything about developer issues being the sole and major reason for watering down???
                    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

^^^Can live without the pink unicorns trampling the veggies in the agrihood. Drawing the line at the flying cars though.

Comment

Arena will be focussed on commercial, retail and entertainment.
                        Blatchford will be mostly middle/lower-middle class housing.
                        2 different markets, 2 different projects. Why it is one or the other?

Comment

^One issue is the upfront costs to the City of lease acquisitions, installing services (e.g. water, drainage, sewer), park development, and transportation infrastructure at the same time $540 million is being borrowed for the DT arena.

A second issue is the real world marketability of the approved Master Plan. Find it interesting that the following caveat has recently been added to Blatchford vision:
                          "All improvements, amenities and land uses herein are proposed and information on properties and neighborhoods, prices, plans, dimensions, features, amenities and/or other improvements is subject to change without notice. There can be no assurance that the current proposed improvements, plans or amenities will be completed. Map, plot plans and depictions of homes and other improvements are artist's conceptions and not to scale." Link: http://edmonton.ca/blatchfordedmonto...latchford.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
                            Arena will be focussed on commercial, retail and entertainment.
                            Blatchford will be mostly middle/lower-middle class housing.
                            2 different markets, 2 different projects. Why it is one or the other?
                            my opinion

- Money, there is only so much
                            - Contractors and construction companies, there are only so many
                            - Developers and practically everything else same thing

Don't forget the number of projected condo buildings they are talking about and are needed if the Arena CRL is going to pay for the beast.

Biggest thing to me is the effort administratively and politically it is going to take to follow the Arena and the associated development through and have it be successful.

Add in East McCauley's info and its the picture I see and the one my neighbors see.

Comment

Just curious...

If the Calder rail yards were to come on the market in the next decade or so, has the current plan accommodated any form of expansion/integration possibilities with another similarly "visionary" project across the way?

I'm not saying that they'd remove the rail line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wildl...ictures-2012-7

http://thecityfix.com/blog/hamburg-g...h-public-park/

..."Although a new and exciting addition to Hamburg, the elevated parks are not replacing any part of the freeway, merely covering it to alleviate the negative side effects of additional vehicle traffic, as well as air and noise pollution. Hopefully, as it’s intentioned to serve, the green space will offset some of the pollution from the vehicles."

To watch a video of the planned project, click here..."

Last edited by KC; 15-06-2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X