X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward 2 issues

To kick this forum off...

There are a ton of issues going into the fall election for Ward 2 and these are just a sample.

1) State of the commuter road ways
    2) Degradation of elementary schools
    3) Poor transit and non existent LRT
    4) Loss of employment nodes (other than retail) increasing need to commute
    5) Increased development now pushing against Henday, magnifying road issues
    6) Need for NW police station

The Biggie:
    7) Blatchford Field development
    This one has got a ton of my neighbors very concerned.

It's pretty obvious to most that the concentration on development is going to be on the arena and the DT CRL zone...regardless of your position on the Arena or the deal its done...but now it has to be made to work and the developments have to be courted and made to happen to make the CRL pay for the decision.

So whats that gonna mean for Blatchford?

There are only so many resources, so many builders and so much money.

If the development, investors and contractors are focused on Arena district what is going to happen to Blatchford?

In my highly biased personal opinion

BTW

Don't forget all the other ongoing major Government projects
    - RAM
    - LRT
    - 108str plus the Jasper ave project

and all of the other private projects going around the City.

The construction force is already stretched thin

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post

Appreciate very much

But I think you see the concern and yes I will asking candidates

Asking candidates,

or answering as a candidate ?

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Appreciate very much

But I think you see the concern and yes I will asking candidates

Asking candidates,

or answering as a candidate ?

Well Top_Dawg

I've had people bugging me since last fall and to this point have been saying no to running.

Since Councilor Krushell's announcement today my personal cell has been ringing with folks asking if I will change my mind to the point I've shut it off.

I had not been considering it.

But I have said to the calls I've gotten that I will talk to my family and take another look at it.

It's a crappy job if you are going to be serious about it and I already put in ridiculous hours that my family isn't happy about.

The other side of the coin is if you're not serious about it then you shouldn't take a serious run at it.

Last time I spent my own money to find out how the system worked, knew Kim and Don were going to dominate with their budgets so I wasn't serious, just wanted the education.

Didn't like a lot of what I learned.

But I said I'd talk to my family and I will.

Tom

Comment

To expand on my above comment:

If I had been planning on running I would have had:

1) A core team including a campaign manager last fall..........I don't have one
          2) A Fund raising plan that would have started last fall.........I don't have one
          3) A volunteer group for signs and door knocking by spring....I don't have one

It could still be done I suppose, but it had not been under consideration.

I also have other plans and commitments that are in progress

There is a lot to consider and would be a lot to put together in a short time frame.

Comment

It's a crappy job if you are going to be serious about it and I already put in ridiculous hours that my family isn't happy about.

The other side of the coin is if you're not serious about it then you shouldn't take a serious run at it.

Last time I spent my own money to find out how the system worked, knew Kim and Don were going to dominate with their budgets so I wasn't serious, just wanted the education.

Didn't like a lot of what I learned.
            Sounds like you and I have much the same beliefs and experiences, Tom.

If a person is serious at running, they need to take it seriously. And it is a crappy and, at times, thankless job. I also didn't like a lot of what I learned.

Having said that, I may still give it a try at some point. For now, focusing on the family.

Shane...
            "Wisdom is what you get when you don't get what you want. I am getting wiser by the day."

Comment

Following the Admin's lead I've set up separate threads on the specific issues so the candidates can comment clearly on each or alternate discussion can take place by posters.

Commuter roadways http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33343

Degradation of elementary schools http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33344

Poor transit/non existent LRT http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33345

Loss of employment nodes http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33346

Blatchford Project http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33329

Please add other issues as you find or see them (I plan to)...

Comment

How about something gets done with the Charles Camsell Hospital site. A fire needs to be lite under that (figuratively not literally).
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Working...
                X