Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward 12 By-Election: Who will replace Sohi?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward 12 By-Election: Who will replace Sohi?

With Amarjeet Sohi being elected to Parliament (recount still possible), who will run to replace him? Who should run?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

City looking to hold the by-election in February:

Provincial laws require Edmonton to call a byelection within 90 days of Sohi’s departure, but that would push the municipal campaign into the holiday season, said Laura Kennedy, the city’s returning officer.

She said the city will seek permission to postpone byelection nominations until mid-January and hold the vote in mid-February.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-woods-recount

Comment

Originally posted by JamesL View Post
      With Amarjeet Sohi being elected to Parliament (recount still possible), who will run to replace him? Who should run?
      Look toward recently unemployed MLAs/MPs or defeated candidates from other parties. Wouldn't it be a strange twist of fate for Tim Uppal to win the seat?

Comment

^It would be hilarious if Sohail Quadri ran.

(Of course, it would be a Greek tragedy if he won, so I should be careful what I wish for.)

Comment

Chinwe Okelu seems to run in just about every election held in Millwoods
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Arundeep Singh Sandhu, a former PC official/party activist, will run: https://www.facebook.com/arundeep.sa...56192400390652

Comment

Danisha Bhaloo first to contest Amarjeet Sohi's vacant Edmonton council seat

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...ncil-seat.html

Danisha Bhaloo announced on social media Tuesday that she would be seeking the Ward 12 seat that Sohi is vacating.

She said she feels a need to serve the community.

“The city has done a lot for me and my family and I would like to give back,” she said.

Bhaloo currently works with Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club of Edmonton, while also holding a number of volunteer board positions including the Edmonton Opera and sitting on the University of Alberta’s senate.

She said especially during these economic times, families are facing difficulties and she hopes to be a voice for them.

Arundeep Singh enters Edmonton Ward 12 council race

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...d-12-race.html

With former councillor Amarjeet Sohi taking a cabinet post in Ottawa, another person has joined the race to fill his former seat on council.

Arundeep Singh announced he will contest the Ward 12 council seat Wednesday. He praised Sohi’s efforts in the ward, but hopes to bring a new voice.

“I think it’s time for a fresh perspective,” he said.

Singh, who currently works in his family’s gravel trucking business, said he has a strong connection to the area.

“I was born and raised in the ward. I have grown up here and worked here all my life.”

Singh said Edmonton has to start thinking and managing projects like a big city, on par with Toronto or Vancouver.

He also said he wants to be a restraint on the city’s purse strings.

“I am hearing from a lot of people that a 4.9 per cent [tax] increase is kind of a hard pill to swallow,” he said. “We need to be conscious of the economic climate we are in.”
              Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 04-11-2015, 05:41 PM.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Seventeen candidates now running in Edmonton’s Ward 12 by-election

Comment

17???

That's almost enough for an entire council election...
                  Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

We're up to 19! http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...n-a-generation

Comment

I think half of Millwoods is running!

Comment

Hi guys, Arundeep Sandhu here. I am indeed running for city council in Ward 12 this winter. Looking forward to being more active on here in the coming years!
                        Candidate for Edmonton City Council Ward 12

Comment

Yup. Quite a gaggle (or is it a murder, flock, etc) of candidates want to throw their hats into the ring. Other than Laura, don't think I have heard of or crossed paths with any of them.

Should be an interesting election.....

Comment

In a field this big, it really could be anyone's game. It's a shame there isn't a runoff or a ranked ballot system in place for a crowded race like this.

Comment

Another big problem with so many candidates would be the forums. Unless the forums themselves take a few hours, candidates will barely have enough time to properly communicate their platforms and answers to questions, and much time wasted on fringe candidates.

I witnessed this during the last municipal election when Ward 6 had 16 candidates to choose from, and had to put up some ridiculous dreck from the lunatic fringe while there were maybe 3 serious candidates listening to.
                              Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 17-12-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X