Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I was just reading a couple of articles and Nickel is saying he's going to take a more balanced approach instead of just being a fiscal hawk (though he'll do that).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
      Too bad Nickel isn't running for Mayor. If he did so then he and Diotte would split the Archie Bunker vote down the middle.
      Careful SDM, someone might take exception to you writing the same thing here and on SSP....

Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

http://daveberta.ca/2013/06/karen-leibovici-edmonton/

Citizenship judge Sonia Bitar and former Edmonton City Councillor Mike Nickel announced their candidacies in southeast Edmonton’s Ward 11.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

So a tiny recap. So far we have running for Ward 11 the following?
          Harvey Panesar
          Mike Nickel
          Sonia Bitar
          Is that all confirmed right now?
          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Candidates running so far:

Sonia Bitar

Mujahid Chak

Roberto Maglalang

Mike Nickel

Harvey Panesar

Brent Schaffrick
            Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
              Candidates running so far:

Sonia Bitar

Mujahid Chak

Roberto Maglalang

Mike Nickel

Harvey Panesar

Brent Schaffrick
              Might be interesting. Then again, might not. I will wait for the Tow Hall meetings to see.

Comment

All the websites are interesting but nothing is making anyone stand out. I hope to hear from these candidates soon and really see what they are about.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Sounds like Mike Nickel has changed his tune
                  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...023/story.html

Nickel, a businessman, was a city councillor from 2004-07. He had a penchant for fiscal conservatism and a record of never seeing a city budget he could support.

He lost to Coun. Don Iveson in the 2007 election, then got back into the Nickel family business in stone countertops and tile. He traveled the world on business, going to India and China. There he saw both skies of grey smog and rivers of garbage, an example of how not to do things, but also massive dynamic cities building rapidly. Nickel realized his old austerity was yesterday’s worldview, and that if Edmonton was going to compete, it needed a new focus.

“I have a much different perspective than I did in 2004 to ’07. We’ve got such a great city and we’ve got such great potential here compared to what I see overseas. I think we’ve got to get our act together a lot faster.

“We don’t have time. We’ve got to get moving. … Because the world is moving. And it’s moving very fast.”

Money is tight, with the city near the top of its borrowing limit, Nickel says, but it’s not time to get fearful and do nothing. “Austerity isn’t the word. Now it’s about opportunity. Now we have to start talking about what brings us value to the corporation.”

Comment

Mike Nickel wins. Hopefully he's true on his word that he's changed his ways for the better.

Comment

^I feel like he's gonna be a different version of Kerry Diotte. We'll see.

Comment

Does Mike Nickel have a second chance? or is it true he's running for mayor to get back at Iveson for kicking him out of his seat?

Comment

Working...
                        X