Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 1 confirmed Councillor not seeking re-election (Jane Batty), 1 confirmed to be running for Mayor (Kerry Diotte) and 2 more considering to run for Mayor (Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson), 2013 is turning out to be a very exciting election year.

I wonder if more Edmontonians will actually get out and vote?

Comment

I think the fact that there is no incumbent Mayor is a more critical factor in election turnout. And we have that too. In my own ward, that's basically my reason for doing my pre-vote homework. The incumbent councilor for my ward is fine with me and I'll just check off his name while voting for the Mayor.

Eve

Comment

Originally posted by EveB View Post
        I think the fact that there is no incumbent Mayor is a more critical factor in election turnout. And we have that too. In my own ward, that's basically my reason for doing my pre-vote homework. The incumbent councilor for my ward is fine with me and I'll just check off his name while voting for the Mayor.
        Eve
        Hi Eve,
        I am guessing that you don't live in Ward 11 as there is no incumbent there. I also believe that choosing a Councillor is just as important as choosing a Mayor. While the Mayor may set the tone for Council, we have a better chance in discussing issues with our local Councillor than we would with the Mayor.

I believe that we need to pay attention to both levels of candidates. I do applaud you for doing some pre-vote homework, though. Many don't.

Comment

I'm not disputing your viewpoint and I agree. But from the point of view of both the media and the general public, it often seems like the Mayoral race is the only one in town. In past elections, I had to dig deep to find any information about the councilor candidates (aside from lists of names). The Mayoral race is on the front page every day.

Eve

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
            Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
            Are you saying that Harvey is planning on running in Ward 11?
            Yes, and he has a strong team together with lots of backing from what I hear.
            www.decl.org

Comment

Are you saying that Harvey is planning on running in Ward 11?
              Yes, and he has a strong team together with lots of backing from what I hear.
              Then Harvey better get a website going. This twitter page didn't capture my attention.

Comment

^All in due time.
                www.decl.org

Comment

Hmmmm, I'm curious who will be running in this ward. If I weren't so busy with every other thing I've got going I wouldn't mind running.
                  LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Mike Nickel
                    Based on past experience, I would hope that Mike Nickel isn't running. He is sort of cut from the same cloth as Kerry and would be a counter-productive choice, imo. I know Mike was helping Kerry in the last elections but not sure if he is this time.
                    I have it on good authority that Nickel will indeed run in 11.
                    Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

Mike Nickel made it official: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...144/story.html

Former councillor Mike Nickel to seek council seat in Ward 11

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL JUNE 12, 2013

EDMONTON - Former city councillor Mike Nickel will try for a comeback as a candidate for Ward 11, Nickel announced Wednesday.

The seat will be vacant because current councillor Kerry Diotte is seeking the mayor’s chair.

Nickel was elected to city council in 2004. He was defeated by Don Iveson in 2007 after one term as councillor for the former Ward 5 in southwest Edmonton
                      Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

It is going to be interesting how many people come out of the wood work between now and nomination day to run in this Ward. Could get really entertaining.

I only hope that one of them will be a real keeper but experience tells me it will be the one with the most money. People generally go for flash, not substance.

Comment

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Better dig those dusty ol' lawn signs out of the garage Shane.

Dem south enders iz gonna need a lifeline.

Comment

Too bad Nickel isn't running for Mayor. If he did so then he and Diotte would split the Archie Bunker vote down the middle.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Better dig those dusty ol' lawn signs out of the garage Shane.

Dem south enders iz gonna need a lifeline.
                              LOL ... You're funny, TD. Dem south enders iz gonna have to figure things out themselves. Dey iz smert nuf.

I will sit on the sidelines and poke and prod but, at this time, I have no plans to become part of the adventure this term. I have far more important things to focus on, such as family.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                                Too bad Nickel isn't running for Mayor. If he did so then he and Diotte would split the Archie Bunker vote down the middle.
                                Mike was helping Kerry in the last election. It makes sense that Kerry would try his hand higher up the food chain, leaving his seat open for Mike. Would you say that is professional courtesy?

Comment

Working...
                                X