Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be running for Council in Ward 11?

With Kerry running for Mayor, I wonder who is going to jump at this Ward. I hope we aren't going to get 10+ people fighting for the seat. All that does is dilute the vote.

Will Chinwe run again?

Generally when a seat becomes open you do see a whole bunch of people enter the race. However, most of them can easily be discounted because they rarely get over 100 votes.

Eve

Comment

Mike Nickel - http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...c-72ab2e76a150
      Last edited by GreenSPACE; 29-05-2013, 10:52 AM.
      www.decl.org

Comment

^ Dave Colburn is running in Ward 7, not 11
        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^sorry my apologies.
          www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
            Mike Nickel
            Based on past experience, I would hope that Mike Nickel isn't running. He is sort of cut from the same cloth as Kerry and would be a counter-productive choice, imo. I know Mike was helping Kerry in the last elections but not sure if he is this time.

Comment

Originally posted by EveB View Post
              Generally when a seat becomes open you do see a whole bunch of people enter the race. However, most of them can easily be discounted because they rarely get over 100 votes.

Eve

Thanks for the memories Eve.

Over the years Top_Dawg has met a handful of these so called candidates.

They mention that they ran for city council and proceed to lecture Top_Dawg on how well they understand the process and how well versed they are on the issues.

So Top_Dawg looks up how well they did.

And it looks like their own family couldn't even bring themselves to vote for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                Originally posted by EveB View Post

Eve

Thanks for the memories Eve.

Over the years Top_Dawg has met a handful of these so called candidates.

They mention that they ran for city council and proceed to lecture Top_Dawg on how well they understand the process and how well versed they are on the issues.

So Top_Dawg looks up how well they did.

And it looks like their own family couldn't even bring themselves to vote for them.
                Candidates generally fall into 3 basic categories.

1) Those who have a good understanding of what is required
                2) Those who think they have a good understanding
                3) Those who are real interesting "fringe" candidates.

Those that have a well organized Team behind them generally fall into the first category but not always. If you have a good Team behind you, your chances of being elected (or re-elected) is greatly increased, regardless of which category you fall into.

There are many that I have met in the past that appeared to have been good candidates however were lacking in the Team area. They ended up loosing because of that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

^Successful candidates tend to fall into a single category.

The ingredients for political success for Council non-incumbents can be summarized by the acronym MOM (money, organization, message), and probably in that order as well. As Don Iveson proved in 2007, those ingredients can even overcome NR (name recognition).

My 3 cents worth.

Comment

Harvey Panesar - https://twitter.com/aggressionmma
                    www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
                      Are you saying that Harvey is planning on running in Ward 11?

Comment

Shane, are you going to run again?
                        Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

Isn't that the $69 question. I am trying to decide if it makes sense this time around.

Comment

Yeah, Top_Dawg sees that you didn't get slaughtered.

But you didn't do all that great either.

Tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                              Yeah, Top_Dawg sees that you didn't get slaughtered.

But you didn't do all that great either.

Tough call.

You are correct, Top_Dawg. I didn't do that great. Big ideas, great potential, but lacking the money required to get people's attention. I was a little naive but such is life.

When I do run again, I will take the lessons learned and work a little smarter. It takes about $25K at a minimum to run a successful campaign. Most are about $40K+. Amarjeet Sohi was just over $100K last election.

Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees (wouldn't that be nice) or else I would be a tree farmer. When you are challenging for a Council seat, donations are hard to come by. Once you are on Council, everyone is willing to donate to your election fund.

I am still unsure if this election is the time to run or not. In the mean time, I will continue to watch and comment as constructively as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X