Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward 1 News

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ward 1 News

    I moved to Edmonton officially after the last election and haven't paid that much attention to our current Councillors activities. Is she going to run again? if so how is her track record?

  • #2
    The Ward 1 Councillor is Linda Sloan.

    According to the daveberta blog, Linda is seeking re-election and will be facing at least one challenger. Link:http://daveberta.ca/edmonton-election-2013/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Himser View Post
      I moved to Edmonton officially after the last election and haven't paid that much attention to our current Councillors activities. Is she going to run again? if so how is her track record?
      I can confirm that Linda is definitely running again. As to her track record, being that I am the other candidate, I would defer to the C2E community to share their unbiased thoughts. Also, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about my ideas for the Ward/City. Feel free to start a separate thread for the issues and I will respond to any questions.
      http://www.andrewknack.com
      http://twitter.com/AndrewKnack

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Andrew i really like your idea of a united transportation network. i have never liked the idea that the city will make driving uncomfortable to force people to use bikes, lrt or transit.

        personalty i really like the LRT idea.. but i have concerns over the drivability of the Jasper Place area after it is implemented. when i was in college i helped build the south LRT route south of the university. as i lived out of the city at the time i had to drive there. and there was not as many issues even during construction. after going to university there i tried driving that area and its a complete nightmare. the above ground High Floor LRT completely from my perspective separated the areas on either side. essentially forcing many people tpo travel to the university via downtown rather then white mud.

        i do not want a repeat of the same disaster happening in the Jasper Place Area. i understand that low floor LRTs are way better for visual and impact to communities as well as integration with other traffic forms. but i have concerns especially at the Major intersections i use such as 87th, 156th. 149th,SPR. 142 SPR and 87th,170th. while i understand that i can still use whitemud. i don't think it should be faster for me to get by car to my work 60km away. then it is to get me by car to the places i want to shop be it at (City Center or Strathcona) (as by LRT and Bike and walking i have no carrying capacity).

        On that note what is your plan on 24h LRT service? i know that as a university student i had to drive to school. it was the only way to travel as buses and LRT was unavailable late at nights. i don't know how many times i have parked at the Downtown or University and been stuck walking across the high level bridge due to LRT and Bus stopping. I even tried to bike to school occasionally but this was impossible because i was not going to bike the river valley back to JP alone in the dark. (the fastest way). and i love bikeing, but it was too big of a hassle and danger due to the lack of transit options on a university/college student schedule. (unfortunately this meant driving back and forth from JP to the university, something that should never have happened in a transit friendly city. )

        what about bike lanes? i love the idea of them and i would gladly take bikes more frequently. but i do not feel comfortable riding on city streets. streets are 50-60km/h... im not a professional speed biker i can do 20-30 Tops. its not safe for me to be with that traffic. (heck i don't think its fair either of a car is doing 20-30 on a road its a danger upon itself). i end up either traveling the hard to access service roads (its really hard to access these on your bike sometimes) or riding on the sidewalk illegally. travel north south across ward 1... its next to impossible to find a bike route safely. i like styles like this http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/med...long%2030w.jpg that are safe for pedestrians, slow bikes (10-20km/h) fast bikes (30-40km/h) and cars (50-60km/h). and as they keep the separation of traffic from fast large mass (cars) away from traffic that is slow and low mass (bikes/pedestrians) what is your plan for the bike routes in the city?

        How would you propose to change the density in Ward 1 especially around the new LRT hubs that is consistent with the community as it stands? and so you propose to change anything due to Jasper Places normally larger R1 lots?. will what you plan on changing make it easier for us to build new duplex/semidetached or rowhouseing consistent with the community and the higher density requirements of a compact community.

        Thank You

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Himser View Post
          On that note what is your plan on 24h LRT service? i know that as a university student i had to drive to school. it was the only way to travel as buses and LRT was unavailable late at nights. i don't know how many times i have parked at the Downtown or University and been stuck walking across the high level bridge due to LRT and Bus stopping. I even tried to bike to school occasionally but this was impossible because i was not going to bike the river valley back to JP alone in the dark. (the fastest way). and i love bikeing, but it was too big of a hassle and danger due to the lack of transit options on a university/college student schedule. (unfortunately this meant driving back and forth from JP to the university, something that should never have happened in a transit friendly city. )
          Although I never stayed at the U of A beyond when the buses stopped running, I would support 24 hour transit service for the LRT and select bus routes. I understand that there is a cost that we will likely not be able to make up through fares but certain services, like 24 hour transit, should be available for specific routes in Edmonton. Most of the major routes already run quite late, for example the #1 runs until 1:38am and starts up at 4:43am so all the city would need to do is run it twice more to make it a full 24 hour service.

          Originally posted by Himser View Post
          what about bike lanes? i love the idea of them and i would gladly take bikes more frequently. but i do not feel comfortable riding on city streets. streets are 50-60km/h... im not a professional speed biker i can do 20-30 Tops. its not safe for me to be with that traffic. (heck i don't think its fair either of a car is doing 20-30 on a road its a danger upon itself). i end up either traveling the hard to access service roads (its really hard to access these on your bike sometimes) or riding on the sidewalk illegally. travel north south across ward 1... its next to impossible to find a bike route safely. i like styles like this http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/med...long%2030w.jpg that are safe for pedestrians, slow bikes (10-20km/h) fast bikes (30-40km/h) and cars (50-60km/h). and as they keep the separation of traffic from fast large mass (cars) away from traffic that is slow and low mass (bikes/pedestrians) what is your plan for the bike routes in the city?
          I started riding my bike in Edmonton last year and I am also not comfortable riding on the more active roadways. There is already a plan for bike lanes in Ward 1 on 95th Avenue from 189th Street to 142nd Street. I would prefer to see separated bike lanes with some type of small physical barrier or a bike path like we already have on 100th Avenue. I really like the design of the bike path in the link you shared and plan to explore that further. As I mentioned on my website, the goal of getting people to take different methods of transit should not be accomplished by making driving harder but rather by making other alternatives more appealing/efficient. I think people would be more willing to try cycling if we had bike paths or at least a separated bike lane with a barrier to separate cars and bikes.

          Originally posted by Himser View Post
          How would you propose to change the density in Ward 1 especially around the new LRT hubs that is consistent with the community as it stands? and so you propose to change anything due to Jasper Places normally larger R1 lots?. will what you plan on changing make it easier for us to build new duplex/semidetached or rowhouseing consistent with the community and the higher density requirements of a compact community.

          Thank You
          There were some changes to the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay that passed on March 18th to allow for the subdivision of the 50' lots. I think this is a step in the right direction to help increase density within some of our more mature neighbourhoods. Another important step that will make it easier to increase density will likely be addressed by Councillor Henderson's motion to look into privacy and sunlight policies that can be put into the zoning bylaw. Many people will say they are interested in seeing density increase until it is about to happen next door. If we can have specific bylaws in place that will alleviate those concerns, I believe you will see more people and community leagues proactively support increased density.

          It is worth noting that many of the Jasper Place communities (Canora, West Jasper Place/Sherwood, Britannia Youngstown and Glenwood) already have higher than average density yet enrollment in community schools is low and in fact, some run the risk of closing in the near future. Because of that, simply increasing density in those communities may not actually help them address their concerns. There needs to be a better understanding of what type of amenities and services young families are looking for when purchasing a home and I believe the city should complete a study to learn that information. Once we have the results, we can create a proper Area Redevelopment Plan that will actually have the intended results of breathing new life into the communities. The city is currently working on the Jasper Place ARP but I do not believe we have the right information to make this as successful as it could be. The next Jasper Place ARP meeting is June 10th so we will see what new information the city will bring to the table.

          Finally, with regards to the rest of the ward, a possible expansion of the Cornerstones project to some of the communities in the ward could help make these areas more vibrant and sustainable.
          http://www.andrewknack.com
          http://twitter.com/AndrewKnack

          Comment


          • #6
            I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

            When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrancy, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

            What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
            What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
            What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
            What is broken and how will you fix it?
            Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
            Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
              I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

              When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrancy, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

              What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
              What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
              What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
              What is broken and how will you fix it?
              Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
              Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?
              As I did three years ago, I will be posting a full platform with specific action items that constituents can hold me accountable to. I am still revising my platform as I have been meeting with and will continue to be meeting with members of Council, city staff and community league members to form concrete plans. My goal is to have it complete by mid-July although I would like to start posting some of the ideas once we re-launch the website in the next month.

              With that said, I do have a few specific points that I am happy to talk about. As mentioned in the last post, one of the ways to address vibrancy and sustainability is to expand upon the Cornerstones program. Currently there are only a few communities that are part of a pilot and I would like to see it roll out across the city.

              With regards to LRT expansion in the west, I want to have the funding secured from all levels of Government in the next 4 years so that it will be complete in the next decade. How we go about this is a bit more challenging as it requires cooperation from the Federal and Provincial Government. The new Council will have to make this a Provincial and Federal election issue in order to achieve the desired results.

              My opinion of some of the other big projects are similar to my 2010 stance. I am a big fan of the arena district but did not support the specific funding model that was approved back in 2011. I am looking forward to its completion as I think it will help decrease the vacancy rate downtown and it could motivate the other levels of Government to provide us with the funds to complete the entire LRT network. I did support the closure of the City Centre Airport and am looking forward to the new development.

              Improvement is needed in the public consultation process, specifically with regards to follow-up. Over the past six years I have been attending the WLRT meetings, I find that people believe their voice has not been heard because their comments in the past sessions were not acknowledged. Simply addressing the feedback and explaining why something can or cannot be done will go a long way in getting the public to be more supportive of larger scale projects. I will also be holding a monthly meeting within the ward to provide residents with an opportunity to learn about why I voted the way I did as well as gather feedback on upcoming projects.

              Another area to improve is transparency. I will be posting all campaign donations online prior to the election so that the public has the opportunity to review them and ask me any questions. Ideally there will be more than three or four candidates - as was the case in 2010 - making that information public prior to October 21st.

              Hopefully that begins to provide you with a bit more insight into some of the ideas I would like to implement. I will be posting a far more detailed platform in the next two months so there will still be plenty of time to review it and ask further questions before the election.
              http://www.andrewknack.com
              http://twitter.com/AndrewKnack

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Andrew

                On your City Center Airport Comment.

                Me and quite a few people i know are either originally from Parkland County or have great ties between the areas of PC and Ward 1. what are your thoughts on the new Parkland Airport concept that is proposed close to Spruce Grove to replace the City Center when it does decommission.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Himser View Post
                  I moved to Edmonton officially after the last election and haven't paid that much attention to our current Councillors activities. Is she going to run again? if so how is her track record?
                  As a former resident of the Ward I can say that Sloan is terrible. Back when it was the 1 Ward - 2 Councillor system she was able to fly under the radar and let Leibovici do most of the heavy lifting. Now, that she's the lone Councillor in her Ward we've all been able to see what she is really like.
                  Don't feed the trolls!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Himser View Post
                    Hi Andrew

                    On your City Center Airport Comment.

                    Me and quite a few people i know are either originally from Parkland County or have great ties between the areas of PC and Ward 1. what are your thoughts on the new Parkland Airport concept that is proposed close to Spruce Grove to replace the City Center when it does decommission.
                    Honestly I am somewhat indifferent to it. If someone is interested in opening an airport outside of the city to fill a need they feel exists, then the market will decide whether or not it is viable. I want to see our International Airport grow so we continue to get more direct flights which will help attract more business to Edmonton and area.
                    http://www.andrewknack.com
                    http://twitter.com/AndrewKnack

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good to meet you last night Andrew and best of luck.


                      Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sloan is NOT running again!

                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great news, she was horrible.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think it's time for a change in Ward 1. Sloan can spend more time with her duties at the AUMA.
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Don't feed the trolls!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X