No announcement yet.

Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^he worked for Imperial Oil, in the mail room, then later in computer systems (both in Edmonton, worked his way up), before getting a masters in economics and focusing on politics. I think he may been more charismatic if he had done more prior to going into politics. He was very successful at building teams though, he untied a split right, which hadn't been done until then. I haven't seen that from Iveson, who is his team on Council to get stuff done?
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

He has done a good job so far.
      live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Comment

I voted for Iveson, but he has been a huge letdown.

Comment

I think he's doing OK, but I think he's mostly riding everything Mandel and the council he painstakingly built set in motion. I'm not sure he's the one to keep that going. Mandel was outspoken to those holding back the city (airport land and arena opponents) while Iveson seems to be picking battles with the general public (people trying to cross the High Level, people asking hard questions about photo radar usage).
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

At one time I heard mention that Iveson was Mandel's protégé in a way. Mandel did move this city forward in a huge way. C.C. Airport, Rogers Place, we just have to go downtown to see that. He also put down many initiatives to move it even further (LRT). Iveson does not seem to have gained any momentum of his own. He also gets distracted too easily to do PR work for the city (reminds me of Nenshi). Like the last couple of racist issues (guy on bike/guy getting called racist names). Let the cops handle it if need be. No need to be fiddling around with hash tags and pompous indignation. In fact I think Iveson would probably make a better P R person for the city than a mayor. And I know, you have to be a bit of a PR person to be a mayor.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

i think one of the issues in this thread - and not only in this thread - are the assumptions that major changes or projects can be put in place quickly and that they can be implemented quickly.

yes, many of the shiny new toy initiatives were started under previous mayors and, it must be noted, also under previous provincial and federal governments. and i supported most of them.

and yes, some of the issues arising from their implementation and completion have taken headlines under the current administration.

and yes, some of the initiatives and choices undertaken by this administration have proven to have been made in haste with less than stellar results.

but it needs to be noted that many of the things undertaken by this administration may not be "shiny new baubles" but their successful implementation will have far reaching and long-lived implications for the city of edmonton.

one of the foremost examples of this is recognizing that the previous city manager was not a good fit for where we were and where we needed to go. the hiring of linda cochrane was a courageous and bold step - it would have been much easier to select another outsider to come in and show us how to do things. it took vision to recognize internal, home grown talent and took faith to support her visions in restructuring administration and supporting the introduction of a more appropriate and responsible management structure with the accountability that goes along with that.

in addition to upgrading the city's own administration, the attention being given on how to best integrate the overlapping functions and roles of economic development and edmonton tourism and northlands etc., on the importance of regional cooperation (not just on planning and cost sharing but on things like business development on a regional basis) will all have long term impacts as will recognizing the importance of creating and supporting business clusters like our start-up/tech sector or our health sector.

they might not be as shiny or as photogenic as our new arena but many of these things are just as important. although i remain somewhat mystified as to why the galleria project - which ticks off so many of these boxes on all fronts - still doesn't get the championing it deserves.

the jury may still be out (as reflected in many of the comments here), but thinking that long-term legacies can be assessed in less than 36 months simply demonstrates a lack of understanding. while it is probably fair to comment on style and on direction, it's far too early to make any definitive conclusions.
              Last edited by kcantor; 19-10-2016, 02:22 PM.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

^36 months in politics is a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                  ^36 months in politics is a long time.
                  36 hours in politics can be a long time - it's one of the problems with politics.

but it's only a long time because there are unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished in government by any government in a short period of time.

and yes, 36 months is a short period of time.

and yes, i recognize that's in no small part because of the expectations raised/promises made by those politicians while campaigning. but why we continually accept/believe that particular expectation/promise is still something i don't understand. or perhaps i do understand it. i just don't happen to agree with it.

Comment

Well I don't think Iveson has filed his papers to run again but he just might. As far as I know no one else has stepped forward stating they want to run. It's early days yet. Who knows, we might have to go another round with him.

Comment

Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

So far in this thread it seems his chassis is bent, the wheels have falling off, his motor is smoking, the transmission is broken, the spark plugs aren't firing and his big end has fallen off.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                        i think one of the issues in this thread - and not only in this thread - are the assumptions that major changes or projects can be put in place quickly and that they can be implemented quickly.
                        Because other mayors do that, while Iveson has been dithering, Nenshi built effective bike lanes downtown, put a curb on high end sprawl by implementing a strategically phased suburban growth plan (going toe-toe with a developer who campaigned against him), and watched inner city growth at a rate in East Village and other areas that Iveson can only dream of. Maybe that experience of running his own management consulting firm taught him how to win support and implement, not just talk about, change? There are dozens of city paid for studies and plans to do the same in Edmonton, all sitting dusty on shelves, because people say nothing can be implemented quickly, but then, that's what some people want, status quo, because a suburban city with an empty donut center works for them?
                        Last edited by moahunter; 19-10-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

As much as Don has been Mayor for only 3 years, he's pretty much exactly the Mayor we'd have expected from Councillor Don, who we had 6 years to get to know. I thought he was a fine councillor but did not think he had the right aptitudes for the mayoral office & my fears have largely been borne out over the last three years.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^That's a good way to put it. He's a fine councilor. He should go back to that maybe.
                            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                              Because other mayors do that, while Iveson has been dithering, Nenshi built effective bike lanes downtown, put a curb on high end sprawl by implementing a strategically phased suburban growth plan (going toe-toe with a developer who campaigned against him), and watched inner city growth at a rate in East Village and other areas that Iveson can only dream of. Maybe that experience of running his own management consulting firm taught him how to win support and implement, not just talk about, change? There are dozens of city paid for studies and plans to do the same in Edmonton, all sitting dusty on shelves, because people say nothing can be implemented quickly, but then, that's what some people want, status quo, because a suburban city with an empty donut center works for them?
                              One think I liked about Iveson is that he seems to have a vision, but I agree implementation seems to be a real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                                moa, sometimes you're just so full of your pro-calgary anti-developer rhetoric that you can't see the water in the river for the trees on the bank...

we're talking about an edmonton mayor's city progress in less than the last 36 months with the economy being in the tank for most of it.

don't compare iveson's first term with nenshi's second. calgary's downtown cycle tracks are still relatively new and still a pilot project that will go to council at the end of this year for review. a success that will be built upon? i would think so. a long-term historical part of their culture? afraid not.

and then you bring up calgary's east village for which a 1/3 of a billion dollar crl commitment was secured in 2007 and which rode one of the strongest economic upturns the province has ever seen. and that 1/3 of a billion didn't include adjacent projects and upgrading of everything from a pedestrian bridge over the bow to a 160,000 sf national music centre to a new downtown library... and if you want to give proper credit for the east village, it belongs to bronconnier, not nenshi.

if you're so disgusted with our uncompleted, unimplemented plans and so enamoured with calgary's successes, you should move there. and as long as you choose not to, i would have to assume edmonton is at least doing enough to keep you here instead of moving to calgary so chalk one up for the home town.
                                Last edited by kcantor; 19-10-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X