Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkwalker
    replied
    I don't care for mudslinging in politics.
    Don't tell me what the other guy did wrong - I know what he did wrong. Tell me what you are going to do right.

Leave a comment:

• Darkwalker
    replied
    I attended the debate last night hoping to find some alternative to Mr. Iveson. Some of the candidates had the odd good idea, but overall, they were a petty and bitter bunch. Unless one of them really ups their game in the next week or two, Don Iveson will return to the mayor's chair.
    He really did seem to be the best of the candidates.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Originally posted by H.L. View Post
    Its not personal when they talk about something relevant to people that live in this city..good lord, snowflakes are so petty!
    I think they're more-so trying to encourage a contest of platforms, plans, and ideas... and not just "you were there and we're still having this debate now." I think many people would like to see ideas brought forward rather than saying, don't vote for Person X because they were there. From this I'm seeing many candidates with wacked-out solutions and ideas from the 20th Century.
    Well, if you are an incumbent you have a lot of advantages, such as experience, name recognition and good knowledge of the issues, but the downside is you have be able to defend your record too. I don't think it is a personal attack to say you supported this or that, as long as the claim is fairly accurate. Elected officials do need to be accountable for their decisions and that is why we have elections. However, I am really not a fan of rehashing old debates from elections past that most people would now consider resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Cumberland
    replied
    I think he's rather fortunate that he's not facing any serious competition. If someone had stepped forward and promised to fix the Metro Line and the inevitable screw-ups coming down the pipe on the Valley Line, and build future lines right, they would have had my vote.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    https://twitter.com/mastermaq/status/915413554685140992

"We must think, plan, and build like a city of a million people," says @doniveson in his closing remarks at #MayorForum #yegvote
    That's the money quote right there, which is why Don Iveson will continue to get my vote.
    I'm finding there's many candidates who think too small and provincial.
    See my signature.
    He seems to have some good vision, but I am not so sure about implementation. I also think sometimes he needs to listen more to others and not be quite as rigid in his approach.

He is fairly young and the last term was his first, so I am hoping he has learned a lot and will grow from the experience and form some of the feedback he will get during the campaign. If I was was giving a report card, I think the comment might be "needs to improve", but especially given the candidates running against him, I would give him a pass but not a high grade.

Leave a comment:

• GenWhy?
    replied
    Originally posted by H.L. View Post
    Its not personal when they talk about something relevant to people that live in this city..good lord, snowflakes are so petty!
    I think they're more-so trying to encourage a contest of platforms, plans, and ideas... and not just "you were there and we're still having this debate now." I think many people would like to see ideas brought forward rather than saying, don't vote for Person X because they were there. From this I'm seeing many candidates with wacked-out solutions and ideas from the 20th Century.

Leave a comment:

• Top_Dawg
    replied
    ^

Top_Dawg thinks you're exactly right SDM.

Sadly, it's only in this city of a million people that it takes three years to build a 600 foot span bridge.

And where newly constructed rail transit lines travel at the speed of horse and buggy.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    https://twitter.com/mastermaq/status/915413554685140992

"We must think, plan, and build like a city of a million people," says @doniveson in his closing remarks at #MayorForum #yegvote
    That's the money quote right there, which is why Don Iveson will continue to get my vote.
    I'm finding there's many candidates who think too small and provincial.
    See my signature.

Leave a comment:

• H.L.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by KC View Post
    Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Well Top_Dawg sees that the over the top political correctness is now even seeping into political debate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...eson-1.4321560

No debating. ' We discourage personal attacks in the forum,' says moderator.

What kind of a pussy forum is this ?

While it can all be very entertaining when it’s not in our own backyard, I think the entire world is so very tired of all the bashing and baseless promises. I want more content, less crap. So, if I’m voting for someone, I want to know what they think they can and will try to do and could care less what their opinions are of their competitors. I have my own brain and don’t need theirs to tell me what to think.

I don’t need more and more people trying to create negative spins about others while issuing shallow useless platitudes about themselves.
    Of course the moderators discourage personal attacks, but politics is passionate and competitive. If a candidate thinks there is an advantage to be gained by a personal attack they will do so. Of course there is risk, sometimes they backfire too and just make the attacker look petty and mean. However, sometimes they are more entertaining than discussions about dry policy and platitudes about things like "community engagement" that sometimes seem removed from peoples lives.

If the world was truly tired of personal attacks the "just visiting" tag line wouldn't have worked in a previous Canadian election and the US would have elected a different President. Personally I am not a fan of them and they are not pretty, but sometimes they are effective and that's why they sometimes happen despite moderators everywhere "discouraging" them.

Leave a comment:

• GenWhy?
    replied
    "Frost threw a fair amount of colour into the discussions with comments on issues like infill housing."I call it the sardine house," she said in reference to infill housing. "I don't approve of sardines."
    The majority of candidates said they would put a moratorium on lot splitting and infill. " - CBC News

They like to talk about tiny houses but no one wants to talk about apartments and rezoning single-family house lots. Great bunch of candidates.

"Instead of suggesting specific policies on ways to improve the city, the candidates spent most of their brief responses complaining about past decisions. "

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied

Well Top_Dawg sees that the over the top political correctness is now even seeping into political debate.

While it can all be very entertaining when it’s not in our own backyard, I think the entire world is so very tired of all the bashing and baseless promises. I want more content, less crap. So, if I’m voting for someone, I want to know what they think they can and will try to do and could care less what their opinions are of their competitors. I have my own brain and don’t need theirs to tell me what to think.

I don’t need more and more people trying to create negative spins about others while issuing shallow useless platitudes about themselves.

Leave a comment:

• H.L.
    replied

Poor Don LOL! I'm betting turnout is poor!

Leave a comment:

• Top_Dawg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    I have a couple of small concerns:

(1) That we could elect someone very anti-LRT in a couple of the vacated wards.

(2) That voters might vote Knack or Loken out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X