No announcement yet.

Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather pay more taxes to live in the sort of city I want to than keep going down the path we're on.
    Last edited by noodle; 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM. Reason: Accidentally a word.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
      Originally posted by H.L. View Post
      Originally posted by Darkwalker View Post
      I attended the debate last night hoping to find some alternative to Mr. Iveson. Some of the candidates had the odd good idea, but overall, they were a petty and bitter bunch. Unless one of them really ups their game in the next week or two, Don Iveson will return to the mayor's chair.
      He really did seem to be the best of the candidates.
      He wasn't going anywhere, he knows he has a second term. A third? No, but then people will be sick of him, and his tax hikes!

Better candidates will come forward.
      Yes. The mayor commands all 'tax hikes'. Every election is solely about civic taxes. Nothing else.
      The taxes downtown Edmonton are stupidly high, its a concern for many, it goes to pay for Dons pet projects. He's a epic fail!
      Animals are my passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by moahunter View Post
        Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
        Yes. The mayor commands all 'tax hikes'. Every election is solely about civic taxes. Nothing else.
        I don't know if that is the case in Edmonton, as I haven't seen a poll on it, but it seems to be the key issue in Calgary (Nenshi might be in trouble because of it). Given both cities are struggling in this economy, it wouldn't surprise me if it is the top issue in the 'chuck. When you are struggling to pay the bills month to month, every little penny matters:

Exactly! Nenshi didnt raise taxes this past year.. Iverson did, he does every year. I'm betting Nenshi won't get in again, hoorah for someone new!
        Animals are my passion.

Comment

• A good leader doesn't just do what the electorate's emotions tell them to do. They respond in a well thought out manner that either explains why taxes are going up, offers new solutions, or takes the heat and does that their principles tell them to act. Taxes are going up because of the size of the City and the expanse of all the services, alongside the province's out-of-touch and 20th Century model of how our cities can impose taxes. The current mayor has been working on a City Charter to combat out rising taxes, and has been promoting transit, density, and higher costs to suburban developers for improvements later on. Keys to taxes or not just the level they are at, but all the other tools people refuse to see or talk about.

Stuck in traffic and want lower taxes for your bungalow and an easier commute? We have a solution for that!
          Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
            Stuck in traffic and want lower taxes for your bungalow and an easier commute? We have a solution for that!
            Only 8% of people are worried about the commute per that poll.

Maybe Iveson is safer because he hasn't done hardly anything since he has been Mayor - city is still developing the same way, sprawling out endlessly. He is just a yes man. Nenshi by contrast has upset a lot of people by restricting suburban growth (e.g. the Shane Homes battle), building all the bike lanes, some pretty terrible ART in the suburbs (even worse than TALUS balls), getting east village built (whereas quarters and Blatchford are still mostly empty in Edmonton), etc.
            Last edited by moahunter; 04-10-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• If there's an anti-Iveson vote it's going to be split among 11 or 12 candidates.

(I say "11 or 12" due to the uncertainty of the existence of Henry Mak)
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Does anyone really think property taxes will never go up? Or if they're "frozen" for 1 term, then what? Even if we up-zoned major areas in future TOD areas, for 4-storey apartments or townhomes/rowhomes, or mixed-use areas along major arterials... got steady investments on a percentage from the province for transit expansion, and even got a City Charter and got mew taxing powers of many kinds on underutilized or poorly maintain lots... will taxes on single-family homes stay low? Is that the goal? To what end? What candidate thinks we can maintain low property taxes and maintain/build all our roads and/or reduce infill?
                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                  If there's an anti-Iveson vote it's going to be split among 11 or 12 candidates.

(I say "11 or 12" due to the uncertainty of the existence of Henry Mak)
                  I still think voter turnout will be very low.
                  Animals are my passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X