Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • https://twitter.com/mastermaq/status/915413554685140992

    "We must think, plan, and build like a city of a million people," says @doniveson in his closing remarks at #MayorForum #yegvote
    That's the money quote right there, which is why Don Iveson will continue to get my vote.
    I'm finding there's many candidates who think too small and provincial.
    See my signature.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

    Comment


    • ^

      Top_Dawg thinks you're exactly right SDM.

      Sadly, it's only in this city of a million people that it takes three years to build a 600 foot span bridge.

      And where newly constructed rail transit lines travel at the speed of horse and buggy.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by H.L. View Post
        Its not personal when they talk about something relevant to people that live in this city..good lord, snowflakes are so petty!
        I think they're more-so trying to encourage a contest of platforms, plans, and ideas... and not just "you were there and we're still having this debate now." I think many people would like to see ideas brought forward rather than saying, don't vote for Person X because they were there. From this I'm seeing many candidates with wacked-out solutions and ideas from the 20th Century.
        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
          https://twitter.com/mastermaq/status/915413554685140992

          "We must think, plan, and build like a city of a million people," says @doniveson in his closing remarks at #MayorForum #yegvote
          That's the money quote right there, which is why Don Iveson will continue to get my vote.
          I'm finding there's many candidates who think too small and provincial.
          See my signature.
          He seems to have some good vision, but I am not so sure about implementation. I also think sometimes he needs to listen more to others and not be quite as rigid in his approach.

          He is fairly young and the last term was his first, so I am hoping he has learned a lot and will grow from the experience and form some of the feedback he will get during the campaign. If I was was giving a report card, I think the comment might be "needs to improve", but especially given the candidates running against him, I would give him a pass but not a high grade.

          Comment


          • I think he's rather fortunate that he's not facing any serious competition. If someone had stepped forward and promised to fix the Metro Line and the inevitable screw-ups coming down the pipe on the Valley Line, and build future lines right, they would have had my vote.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
              Originally posted by H.L. View Post
              Its not personal when they talk about something relevant to people that live in this city..good lord, snowflakes are so petty!
              I think they're more-so trying to encourage a contest of platforms, plans, and ideas... and not just "you were there and we're still having this debate now." I think many people would like to see ideas brought forward rather than saying, don't vote for Person X because they were there. From this I'm seeing many candidates with wacked-out solutions and ideas from the 20th Century.
              Well, if you are an incumbent you have a lot of advantages, such as experience, name recognition and good knowledge of the issues, but the downside is you have be able to defend your record too. I don't think it is a personal attack to say you supported this or that, as long as the claim is fairly accurate. Elected officials do need to be accountable for their decisions and that is why we have elections. However, I am really not a fan of rehashing old debates from elections past that most people would now consider resolved.

              Comment


              • I attended the debate last night hoping to find some alternative to Mr. Iveson. Some of the candidates had the odd good idea, but overall, they were a petty and bitter bunch. Unless one of them really ups their game in the next week or two, Don Iveson will return to the mayor's chair.
                He really did seem to be the best of the candidates.
                Non semper erit aestas

                Comment


                • I don't care for mudslinging in politics.
                  Don't tell me what the other guy did wrong - I know what he did wrong. Tell me what you are going to do right.
                  Non semper erit aestas

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                    The majority of candidates said they would put a moratorium on lot splitting and infill. " "
                    Again, just small platitudes that don't amount to a vision. They're just one vote on council.
                    Iveson is definitely the best of the bunch. I'm tired of people acting like we're Westlock. It's a major urban area. Time to start thinking like one. The Mayor provides vision and leadership, but only has one vote out of 13. In fact, I'm going to request a lawn sign right now.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Darkwalker View Post
                      I attended the debate last night hoping to find some alternative to Mr. Iveson. Some of the candidates had the odd good idea, but overall, they were a petty and bitter bunch. Unless one of them really ups their game in the next week or two, Don Iveson will return to the mayor's chair.
                      He really did seem to be the best of the candidates.
                      He wasn't going anywhere, he knows he has a second term. A third? No, but then people will be sick of him, and his tax hikes!

                      Better candidates will come forward.
                      Animals are my passion.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                        Originally posted by Darkwalker View Post
                        I attended the debate last night hoping to find some alternative to Mr. Iveson. Some of the candidates had the odd good idea, but overall, they were a petty and bitter bunch. Unless one of them really ups their game in the next week or two, Don Iveson will return to the mayor's chair.
                        He really did seem to be the best of the candidates.
                        He wasn't going anywhere, he knows he has a second term. A third? No, but then people will be sick of him, and his tax hikes!

                        Better candidates will come forward.
                        Yes. The mayor commands all 'tax hikes'. Every election is solely about civic taxes. Nothing else.
                        Live and love... your neighbourhood.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                          Yes. The mayor commands all 'tax hikes'. Every election is solely about civic taxes. Nothing else.
                          I don't know if that is the case in Edmonton, as I haven't seen a poll on it, but it seems to be the key issue in Calgary (Nenshi might be in trouble because of it). Given both cities are struggling in this economy, it wouldn't surprise me if it is the top issue in the 'chuck. When you are struggling to pay the bills month to month, every little penny matters:

                          Last edited by moahunter; 04-10-2017, 01:40 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                            "Frost threw a fair amount of colour into the discussions with comments on issues like infill housing."I call it the sardine house," she said in reference to infill housing. "I don't approve of sardines."
                            The majority of candidates said they would put a moratorium on lot splitting and infill. " - CBC News


                            They like to talk about tiny houses but no one wants to talk about apartments and rezoning single-family house lots. Great bunch of candidates.

                            "Instead of suggesting specific policies on ways to improve the city, the candidates spent most of their brief responses complaining about past decisions. "

                            https://twitter.com/MarcoLangzi/stat...59676812197888

                            marcelo figueira‏ @MarcoLangzi
                            Sure you want a moratorium on all infill? What else? #yegvote #yegcc
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

                            Comment


                            • ^Love it.
                              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

                              Comment


                              • From an efficiency standpoint, re-zoning mature neighbourhood lots close to transit, arterials, and infill in general is good for services cost efficiency, is good to keep taxes lower and revenues per acre higher, and still allows the high percentage of single-family homes to exist in Edmonton, because the % of those homes to other forms is extraordinary. You can't have single-family homes for everyone, no congestion, roads to 2-car households, low taxes, and good efficient and broad services.
                                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X