Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polls has Iveson cruising to second term

One year out from Election 2017, a new poll suggests Edmonton residents are willing to trust their young mayor to guide the city through possible rocky economic times.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/commercial-real-estate/mainstreet-poll-has-edmonton-mayor-iveson-cruising-to-a-second-term
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Hard to say what his support level truly is, when no one else has declared a candidacy. I hope that a qualified candidate runs, if only to hold him to account (ie: not Diotte). I voted for Iveson last time, but it wouldn't take much for me to change that for the next election. He has accomplished very little, in my opinion, other than occasionally shoving his foot in his mouth and lecturing the electorate about not being so demanding of the city and it's staff.

Comment

I doubt Diotte would give his MP seat to run for mayor. I also suspect we won't get a strong challenger to Iveson next time around. Really strong poll numbers tend to discourage more than the usual suspects from running.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

I think he's done alright, but what Jim Taylor said is so true, we're coasting in neutral on the things Mandel initiated. We need more in the pipeline to keep going farther in the future. We need the WEM line, we need EDACC, we need the Shaw Conference Centre expansion, we need to encourage the Provincial voters to get to work (Courthouse, new Royal Alexandra, deleting the Remand Centre, office consolidation).

So much to do to become a great City, we're going to sputter to a halt economically, but not for lack of things to do. Just for lack of doing.

Do it when it's cheap, and keeping the economy from falling through the floor is a bonus.
        Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

A poll of just over 800 , crushing it.LOL.I'll wait and see. He wont get my vote next time..
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by hello lady View Post
            A poll of just over 800 , crushing it.LOL.I'll wait and see. He wont get my vote next time..
            Not to mention they only called landlines, so they polled a bunch of seniors who never do much. Not particularly accurate. It clearly depends on who the other candidates are, but I would certainly consider voting for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
              Hard to say what his support level truly is, when no one else has declared a candidacy. I hope that a qualified candidate runs, if only to hold him to account (ie: not Diotte). I voted for Iveson last time, but it wouldn't take much for me to change that for the next election. He has accomplished very little, in my opinion, other than occasionally shoving his foot in his mouth and lecturing the electorate about not being so demanding of the city and it's staff.
              My thoughts as well. I might still vote for him, but only if the alternatives seem likely to be worse.

Comment

Iveson poll

I am a bit surprised by this level of support given all the complaining about lrt delays, over pass delays, bridge delays, bike lanes ... However, there is no obvious person to challenge Iveson at this point and in Edmonton incumbent mayors usually get a second term. While I think he will probably get re-elected, I think there will be a strong challenger come forward eventually and it may end up being a close race.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                  Agreed 100%. Most of the cool things happening over the last few years have little to do with him being Mayor. He was on city council and against most the the city's recent successes like the arena.

Comment

I noticed that he has highest support from the 18-24 demo, one which is barely out of its parent's home and the least likely to have an understanding of how things operate in the real world.
                    Last edited by Spudly; 17-10-2016, 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
                    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                      Not to mention they only called landlines, so they polled a bunch of seniors who never do much. Not particularly accurate. It clearly depends on who the other candidates are, but I would certainly consider voting for someone else.
                      emphasis added...

maybe you should read the linked article on the poll before commenting on the poll?

"Residents were contacted by land line and cellphone Oct. 11 and 12."
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Polls, depends who/when/source they are taking the info from. 800 not a huge amount to go by. Do we know the demographics of those polled.
                        Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere. Has a penchant for making Edmonton the Bylaw/speeding ticketing capital of Canada. He will keep adding charges onto things when really they are just other ways to tax us. He should quit. I'm sure private enterprise could find a use for him. Is Walmart looking for greeters?.
                        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

800 is a fairly large sample size for a civic survey. I haven't seen the polling demographics posted yet but it is usual with polls like these to post methodology.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                            Not a big fan of Iveson. Seems to spend to much of the taxpayers money on pet projects that go nowhere.
                            Which ones would those be?
                            I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

^ Don't bother conversing with the consistently clueless, Spudly. At least refrain from quoting her so I don't have to read them. Anyways...

The election is still a year away so this poll is much too early.

I agree with Marcel. Although he's been somewhat disappointing as Mayor, my vote is with Iveson for now until a better candidate comes along - same ideals, but is a stronger leader who is better at getting things done. I'm not going to vote for just any whackjob that challenges him, and I'm not voting for some wingnut with a Wildrose membership and a Canadian Taxpayers Federation playbook (e.g. Diotte in the last election).
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X