This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mnugent View Post
    If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    Absolutely agree. A major shift happened last night. I am very, very excited for the next 4 years.

Comment

I think voters more approved of what the Mandel reign accomplished and said, "more please."

Still, Mandel was bald and grumpy - Iveson is young and telegenic - that may well change stereotypic perceptions of Edmonton.

Which will be a good and exciting thing, yes.
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Less than 24 hours and Edmonton seems to have gotten more positive national media attention than I have seen in a very long time. I know there is more than just image to being the mayor, but he can do things for Edmonton's reputation just by existing that the other candidates would never have been able to achieve.

I too am impressed by the margins. The results, to me speak to an impressive change in Civic identity in the city. Don embodies a change in the way many engaged people are beginning to see the city, and listening to his speech that is exactly what he was going for. His mention of trying to reflect the city back to the voters is a strategy I think that I think worked well for him. Many of the people that really care about the city looked at Don and saw a genuine understanding in why they live here, and why they want to stay. I don't think Karen managed to tap into the change in the way many Edmontonians see themselves. Although she was a very good and competent candidate, it felt like she was campaigning to a portion of Edmonton's identity that is fading while Don reached out to something that is growing.

And although I'm usually the first to blast people for making comparisons to Calgary, I'd argue that many of the successes we see down south have less to do with government favoritism than it does with a confidence and optimism that we seemed to loose in the 90s. Mandel dared Edmonton to believe in itself and based on what I see so far I think Don's dare is to get people out and acting on that confidence.

Comment

I opened this thread because a) the election is over and b) I am tired of the negativity in the other thread.

Election over. Time to move on.

Comment

This is great to see personally!

Like has mentioned in other posts, the very fact we now have a "cool" mayor will help continue the shift seeing Edmonton as "cool"

Very excited for the future of the city.

The huge margins shows that Edmontonians demand more. We are not small town thinkers. We see our potential and we are going for it!!
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I think we have a geeky mayor, and that's pretty cool
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Don's already on the job
                Originally posted by CBC
                Don Iveson spoke with most of his new city council as well as outgoing mayor Stephen Mandel on Tuesday, one day after he won the race to be Edmonton’s next mayor.
                Iveson met with Mandel at his office in city hall. After the two men embraced and shook hands, Mandel hailed his successor as a progressive, creative individual who will move the city forward.

“It’s an exciting time for the city of Edmonton,” Mandel said. “Edmontonians should be very excited a very dynamic, creative, individual is going to lead our city over the next four years.”

Iveson said he spent a good part of his morning fielding calls from the national media, noting that the results of the Edmonton election have caught the country’s attention.

Comment

Thank God Edmontonians saw through Diotte's fakery.

Looking forward to Iveson as mayor. Interesting times.

Comment

They saw no platforms from Diotte or liebovici. One complaints and the other one keeps trying to convince us she is a leader. Those kinds of campaigs will fail. Don explains how and what he will do through out the campaign. Basically, he gave us answers. When I get answers-good or bad- I know where you are going with it. I don't know why some are shocked with the landslide...
                    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

I am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.
                      “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I'm hoping you're right, Glenco. My entire uneasiness about this election was whether we could get managers (project, financial, strategic) to actually oversee the implementation of the various visions that are already out there. Arena and environs, Blatchford, and LRT are the main ones I can think of where public money is being used. There are probably lots of others that I don't know about. But if those could be executed on budget and on time (and preferably to spec also), that would be enough to create a lasting legacy. If they do other stuff that's would be cool too, of course.

Eve

Comment

So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?
                          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Originally posted by glenco View Post
                            i am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.
                            agree
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
                              So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?
                              In her concessions peach Karen volunteered her services to the new mayor. Hopefully her expertise can be utilized some where.
                              “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

That would be a great outcome. I wouldn't have been upset if Karen had won the election because I got the impression that she is skilled. There must be some job she can do where she can use her inside knowledge of the system.

Note I'm not saying the same about Diotte because I didn't get quite the same impression from him.

Eve

Comment

Working...
                                X