Clear All

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    I think we have a geeky mayor, and that's pretty cool

Leave a comment:

• Komrade
    replied
    This is great to see personally!

Like has mentioned in other posts, the very fact we now have a "cool" mayor will help continue the shift seeing Edmonton as "cool"

Very excited for the future of the city.

The huge margins shows that Edmontonians demand more. We are not small town thinkers. We see our potential and we are going for it!!

Leave a comment:

• Deus ex Machina
    replied
    I opened this thread because a) the election is over and b) I am tired of the negativity in the other thread.

Election over. Time to move on.

Leave a comment:

• in_the_know
    replied
    Less than 24 hours and Edmonton seems to have gotten more positive national media attention than I have seen in a very long time. I know there is more than just image to being the mayor, but he can do things for Edmonton's reputation just by existing that the other candidates would never have been able to achieve.

I too am impressed by the margins. The results, to me speak to an impressive change in Civic identity in the city. Don embodies a change in the way many engaged people are beginning to see the city, and listening to his speech that is exactly what he was going for. His mention of trying to reflect the city back to the voters is a strategy I think that I think worked well for him. Many of the people that really care about the city looked at Don and saw a genuine understanding in why they live here, and why they want to stay. I don't think Karen managed to tap into the change in the way many Edmontonians see themselves. Although she was a very good and competent candidate, it felt like she was campaigning to a portion of Edmonton's identity that is fading while Don reached out to something that is growing.

And although I'm usually the first to blast people for making comparisons to Calgary, I'd argue that many of the successes we see down south have less to do with government favoritism than it does with a confidence and optimism that we seemed to loose in the 90s. Mandel dared Edmonton to believe in itself and based on what I see so far I think Don's dare is to get people out and acting on that confidence.

Leave a comment:

• McBoo
    replied
    I think voters more approved of what the Mandel reign accomplished and said, "more please."

Still, Mandel was bald and grumpy - Iveson is young and telegenic - that may well change stereotypic perceptions of Edmonton.

Which will be a good and exciting thing, yes.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisD
    replied
    Originally posted by mnugent View Post
    If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    Absolutely agree. A major shift happened last night. I am very, very excited for the next 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• mnugent
    replied
    If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw

Leave a comment:

• McBoo
    replied
    Originally posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
    ... (on a certain, ahem poster's rant) ... Actually, the election result was the lead story last night on the Globe web site, with Iveson's pic at the top.
    Fair enough - my bad. Actually - nice article by Gary Mason as well today on Iveson + Nenshi = new public face for Alberta to the ROC.

Leave a comment:

• Chmilz
    replied
    Hey, let's be fair: the vast majority could have been on Diotte's side, but maybe they were too scared of the big, bad potholes and decided to stay home instead of vote. Or they're armchair critics. Or they don't exist.

Leave a comment:

• Medwards
    replied
    Originally posted by Replacement View Post
    Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
    Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
    Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.
    My post wasn't exactly aimed at you... you just provided me a nice segue to it...

Leave a comment:

• Replacement
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.
    Yeah, I raised this last night.

The mythic hick quotient just got reversed. Toronto can have Ford, we're driving the shiny sleek Iveson.

Kind of representative of where futures lie in this country.

Looks good.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cat
    replied
    I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.

Leave a comment:

• Replacement
    replied
    Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
    Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
    Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.

Leave a comment:

• Medwards
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Replacement
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesL View Post
    Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
    I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.
    The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority. It turns out, the polls of this race actually understated Iveson's support!
    Not directed at me but for clarity, and my own part, I rebuked the notion of silent majority as presumptive and unsubstantiated. No matter where that is alleged to fall.

Don't confuse that stance with my assertion that C2E views expressed herein may not reflect majority.

These are two different things.

In the end it appears though that C2E was in line with what the majority of Edmontonians thought. Except the majority stayed home...

tongue in cheek with that last part.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X