Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

election night onward - Don Iveson elected

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Well at least Kerry was consistent till the bitter end.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

    Comment


    • #62
      What a fantastic night! I could not be more proud of our City and its citizens. Don has been a friend since high school and you could tell then big things were in store politically for him.










      Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
        I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.
        The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority. It turns out, the polls of this race actually understated Iveson's support!
        “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by McBoo View Post
          New Edmonton. Vision beats potholes every day, every way and in every poll.

          Don Koziak, non-vision and Kerry Diotte, your small-minded, limited view isn't just over - it's smashed and destroyed.

          The National Poop Paper, Grope and Flail et al will be hugely disappointed - not that they will get it - or not be left in the dust.

          Good-bye old, dead guard, National |Poop and Grope and Flail too!

          Sorry for dancing on the graves of the dead - but this wasn't just an election, it's an execution warrant for the non-vision.

          New sig comin'
          Actually, the election result was the lead story last night on the Globe web site, with Iveson's pic at the top.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by JamesL View Post
            The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority.
            For sure. The results of this election obviously show that most people in Edmonton have much bigger interests and concerns than the arena, property tax, and potholes.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
              Here's the meat - Don has introduced about twice as many motions as Karen and about eight times as many as Kerry. While Don and Karen's motions have a failure rate of 2%, Diotte's motions have a failure rate of 67%.

              From Mack D Male: http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2013/10/19/...son-for-mayor/
              How is this possible, as the fast majority of motions are admin matters like adopting an agenda, accepting a report for information, etc. and never voted down? Or are you referring to actual iniatives rather than motions that are admin in nature?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by JamesL View Post
                Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.
                The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority. It turns out, the polls of this race actually understated Iveson's support!
                Not directed at me but for clarity, and my own part, I rebuked the notion of silent majority as presumptive and unsubstantiated. No matter where that is alleged to fall.

                Don't confuse that stance with my assertion that C2E views expressed herein may not reflect majority.

                These are two different things.

                In the end it appears though that C2E was in line with what the majority of Edmontonians thought. Except the majority stayed home...


                tongue in cheek with that last part.
                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

                Comment


                • #68
                  Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
                  Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                    Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
                    Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
                    Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

                    I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

                    I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.
                    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.
                      "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                        I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.
                        Yeah, I raised this last night.

                        The mythic hick quotient just got reversed. Toronto can have Ford, we're driving the shiny sleek Iveson.

                        Kind of representative of where futures lie in this country.

                        Looks good.
                        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                          Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
                          Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
                          Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

                          I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

                          I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.
                          My post wasn't exactly aimed at you... you just provided me a nice segue to it...
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Hey, let's be fair: the vast majority could have been on Diotte's side, but maybe they were too scared of the big, bad potholes and decided to stay home instead of vote. Or they're armchair critics. Or they don't exist.
                            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
                              ... (on a certain, ahem poster's rant) ... Actually, the election result was the lead story last night on the Globe web site, with Iveson's pic at the top.
                              Fair enough - my bad. Actually - nice article by Gary Mason as well today on Iveson + Nenshi = new public face for Alberta to the ROC.
                              ... gobsmacked

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
                                http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw
                                Go down a few dark alleys.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X